Capitol Armory ad

Did You Get Your Biden Letter? Or, Why Prices Aren't Coming Down Anytime Soon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I wonder how many votes Uncle Joe believes he is buying? Will those who receive these hand outs now default to Democrat and become blind to the situation with the economy, the border, the lack of respect around the world?

I don't think they're going to sway anyone one way or another, among those getting the payments. The lefties will continue voting left right till they fall off the cliff. A bunch are non-political and are too lazy to vote (probably good for us) - then you have the felons who can't vote. Centrists and right leaning folk are seeing it for what it is and wouldn't vote for Sniffy McChildgroper anyway. But little of that matters when you have the largest network of fraudsters this country has seen. Doesn't matter who votes and how you vote when you have unsecure voting, and the agenda driven control the vote counts.

wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    I believe everything our ruling masters have done since ascending to the throne has been geared to embedding them into the seat of power forever. Millions of illegals who will be first in line for handouts, now bonus bucks for many, the draconian voting law they attempted to pass... all things point to the king and his court wishing to remain in power for life. I think they are in a hurry because the 2022 election cycle may sweep their majority away with all the bad they are doing, even folks on the fence just might wake up.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I was asking more out of curiosity since I never had kids and never received such benefits.

Still sounds bogus though. A person single earning $75K a year needs a child credit? How were people supporting and taking care of their children before these child credits became a thing?
    I've got 2 kids and received $500 the other day. Don't need it, I make a decent salary and the house is payed off, but I'll put it to good use. We'll put towards taking the kids on a really nice vacation.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I think our great-great-great-grandchildren won't be paying this off.

In 2020 the feds went $3 trillion in the hole. They stole $3.4 trillion and spent $6.5 trillion.

I don't see a way out. We need to cut spending by more than half to even begin to pay off our debt.

Even most "conservatives" will balk at the level of austerity required to pay off the debt. Entitlements would have to be halted or massively shaved. That will cause civil unrest on both sides of the aisle because too many people "deserve" what they're getting.

its more difficult than that... 61% of the federal spending is social security, medicare, and medicaid. 21% is Military. That's 82% non discretionary.

I've said this multiple times. If you don't cut social security, medicare, and medicaid completely we're sunk in 10 years or less.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    its more difficult than that... 61% of the federal spending is social security, medicare, and medicaid. 21% is Military. That's 82% non discretionary.

I've said this multiple times. If you don't cut social security, medicare, and medicaid completely we're sunk in 10 years or less.

And there's a BIG reason we're in the mess we're in, thanks FDR.

They tax your income to pay for "social security" - so you are actually entitled to get that money back...problem is they don't just set it in an individual account, and pay out an annunity solely based on what you paid in and amertized over say, a 10 or 15 year period. Its become a ponzi scheme, and the social security fund has been pillaged and used as a slush fund for other gubmint programs. Another example of a well-intended idea turning out to be horrific for us.

You have immigrants and people who never paid into the system pulling money out. Then they decided that the disabled should get payments. I can't argue that people actually disabled and incapable of work shouldn't get *something* - but the threshold for "disability" no longer means you're not able bodied enough to work. And with the way the economy and society has shifted, a lot more people *could* work without needing to stand up or move for long periods. How many folks on disability could work from home doing call-center type stuff? A bunch. A lot already sit at home on the computer or phone anyway. AAA for example, allows call takers and some dispatchers work from home if you have a high speed wired internet connection and landline phone.

Medicare / Medicaid is another program abused by those who never put anything into the system. We could also go into the weeds on the ballooning costs of healthcare that are in-part at least caused by both government programs/regulation and the massive role health insurance companies have taken on in paying for services.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    And there's a BIG reason we're in the mess we're in, thanks FDR.

They tax your income to pay for "social security" - so you are actually entitled to get that money back...problem is they don't just set it in an individual account, and pay out an annunity solely based on what you paid in and amertized over say, a 10 or 15 year period. Its become a ponzi scheme, and the social security fund has been pillaged and used as a slush fund for other gubmint programs. Another example of a well-intended idea turning out to be horrific for us.

You have immigrants and people who never paid into the system pulling money out. Then they decided that the disabled should get payments. I can't argue that people actually disabled and incapable of work shouldn't get *something* - but the threshold for "disability" no longer means you're not able bodied enough to work. And with the way the economy and society has shifted, a lot more people *could* work without needing to stand up or move for long periods. How many folks on disability could work from home doing call-center type stuff? A bunch. A lot already sit at home on the computer or phone anyway. AAA for example, allows call takers and some dispatchers work from home if you have a high speed wired internet connection and landline phone.

Medicare / Medicaid is another program abused by those who never put anything into the system. We could also go into the weeds on the ballooning costs of healthcare that are in-part at least caused by both government programs/regulation and the massive role health insurance companies have taken on in paying for services.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. Social Security was always going to be a ponzi scheme. It literally was laid out as a pyramid scheme when presented.

Frankly it is unable to be saved now. Social Security Medicare and Medicaid have to be cut completely or the patient will die.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

I may be misreading your statement above, but most Defense spending is discretionary, except Veteran Benefits. Veteran Benefits is a mashup of Defense and VA, about equally split.

8eb4745886096a05b46c72d2b2d1fa25.jpg

Source: https://www.cbo.gov/publication/57171

When you get to Discretionary spending, that’s where Defense really stands out.
    b14cbaa4a165992e73dae62006b4e7d6.jpg

Source: https://www.cbo.gov/publication/57172

Though you’re correct that mandatory (or entitlement, if you care) spending is the holy grail for Ds, and is also the problem that has to be solved for.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    We’re already heading down the death spiral…over 50% of this country’s GDP is government spending.

Think about that.

Half of our economy, currently (but perhaps not for long) the largest on earth, is comprised of wealth transfers AKA taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I really need to look into solar panels for the house. At least enough to power the well and a few other items. Maybe I’ll use my kid bucks to do that.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    I may be misreading your statement above, but most Defense spending is discretionary, except Veteran Benefits. Veteran Benefits is a mashup of Defense and VA, about equally split.

8eb4745886096a05b46c72d2b2d1fa25.jpg

Source: https://www.cbo.gov/publication/57171

When you get to Discretionary spending, that’s where Defense really stands out.
    b14cbaa4a165992e73dae62006b4e7d6.jpg

Source: https://www.cbo.gov/publication/57172

Though you’re correct that mandatory (or entitlement, if you care) spending is the holy grail for Ds, and is also the problem that has to be solved for.

Military spending is "discretionary" please tell the Pentagon that LOL

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Military spending is "discretionary" please tell the Pentagon that LOL

Words mean things.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Even more sobering:
    Total unfounded liabilities for the US government are estimated to be over $200 trillion.

Our economy is about $20 trillion/year.

To get out from under this debt is impossible.

But for shits and giggles, every one of us would have to work for 10 years, and pay a 100% tax rate, to pay this debt off.

So continue to work, and not get paid, for a decade.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Even more sobering:
    Total unfounded liabilities for the US government are estimated to be over $200 trillion.

Our economy is about $20 trillion/year.

To get out from under this debt is impossible.

But for shits and giggles, every one of us would have to work for 10 years, and pay a 100% tax rate, to pay this debt off.

So continue to work, and not get paid, for a decade.

Most of that unfunded liability is Social Security and Medicare.

Words mean things.

Todd

I understand that. I also understand that the majority of the base expenditures are overseas military bases that have been "discretionary" since the Cold War ended and continue to be funded.

It's not discretionary. It's listed as discretionary in the CBO, but I dare even one representative propose cutting any of those budget items and they will be out in less than an election cycle.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    "I'm here from the Government, and I'm here to help."

Yeah, help us to go phucking broke!

I wonder just how much money would be available if they cut out all the welfare, food stamps, funding things like Planned Parenthood, studies that are meaningless, and any government assistance programs for free phones, housing and utility assistance? Billions?

Maybe if a large group of people living off government assistance were totally cut off from the free cheese and butter, had to work to support their own children, maybe they would make better life choices.

Just a thought.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    It would save trillions, not billions. When I am elected supreme dictator I will give everyone 12 months notice then the spigot stops flowing.

Once the debt is retired we can talk more.

I'm on the board of a local non-profit that is about 3 months from bankruptcy due to crushing debt that never should have been borrowed. Just like our national situation, the debt was borrowed before my time without my approval. There are board members that say we have to keep spending and doing things like we've always done. They, like most Americans, are flat wrong & soon we'll be paying the piper.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Most of that unfunded liability is Social Security and Medicare.

Todd

I understand that. I also understand that the majority of the base expenditures are overseas military bases that have been "discretionary" since the Cold War ended and continue to be funded.

It's not discretionary. It's listed as discretionary in the CBO, but I dare even one representative propose cutting any of those budget items and they will be out in less than an election cycle.
    I funded my social security. And then some.
    Just like the rest of ya'll.

I didn't get a choice either back in 1980. Or since..
    I bitched and moaned then and now. But you know what?
    I'm gonna collect asap.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I funded my social security. And then some.
    Just like the rest of ya'll.

I didn't get a choice either back in 1980. Or since..
    I bitched and moaned then and now. But you know what?
    I'm gonna collect asap.

Social Security has become a huge scam, as well as someone mentioned, a slush fund for politicians to borrow from.

People that have never worked and paid into SS are drawing from it. That is entirely wrong.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    January 31, 1940 Ida M. Fuller became the first person to receive an old-age monthly benefit check under the new Social Security law. She paid in $24.75 between 1937 and 1939 on an income of $2,484. Her first check, dated January 31, was for $22.54.

She died in 1975. During her lifetime, she collected a total of $22,888.92 in Social Security benefits.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Egads! My Biden Bux showed up today. Looks like I'll receive monthly checks that I will have to promptly repay when my I file 2021 taxes.

Does anyone in DC have a brain?

Top Bottom