Diesel Performance

Discussion in 'Automotive / Motorcycle Chat' started by Okierifleman, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Okierifleman

Okierifleman Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    I have a 07 GMC Duramax that I was pondering putting an aftermarket intake on to increase performance and maybe squeeze a few more MPG out of it. K&N, Air Raid, Banks, etc.... Do these really work or is it all a marketing campaign? Any recomendations?

2. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    If an intake is more efficient then it will reduce pumping losses, and on a turbo diesel you may see a slight uptick in fuel efficiency.

Generally with a diesel your best economy mods are tuning.

You might try: www.TruckModCentral.com

3. mclarenross

mclarenross Member

Look up a "BHAF" - Big Honkin Air Filter. I think all these aftermarket intake boxes are WAY too expensive for what you get. Id personally invest my money into an good free flowing exhaust and a programmer.

4. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I heard new chips were good but never got one. Would have paid for itself by now if they work as advertised.

5. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Well it's a catch 22 when you start going mods vs mpg. The mods themselves will by the numbers increase your truck's efficiency. But the hard part is keep one's lead foot from enjoying the seat-o-meter feel & sound. That tom foolery often negates the efficiency

Diesels easily benefit from a good intake. Build your own, everything else is WAY overpriced.

6. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Generally, no they don't. If you were to see something like a 2% change from what the PCM considers "normal" your check engine light would be on.

Beware K&N (and similar) filters: they filter like shit. :mad:

7. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Very true whats bad is most people don't realize a paper filter flows more till it gets clogged up. If I were you I'd go with a chip/programer first by far the best bang for the buck on a Diesel exhaust helps to but being yours is an 07' an exhaust system could affect the regen system on the truck.

8. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas

IF you can keep from dialing it up and spitting out your tranny :lolz:

ell you got the Allison in their right? Should hold up better but you're at least good for up to 50hp on the stocker