• ...and so much more!
  • perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth
    A buddy and I are doing some trading, I'll be getting back a 2004 Dodge 1-ton with a 5.9 Cummins I sold him about 5 years ago. I cut the catalytic converter off of it in about 2001 in OK (where it's currently tagged/titled). I know it needs to be inspected to import/tag/title it in TX. Will it pass TX inspection? It has a muffler, just no cat.
    Military Camp

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth

Thanks, but doesn't answer the question.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It will pass in a non-emissions check County for sure. But I don’t think it’s technically legal. Don’t know if anyone ever having problems though as long as they live somewhere that it passes inspection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Tarrant county is listed as an emissions testing county. To answer your question, it's newer than a 1984, and they would test the emissions, so in short, the catalytic converter will have to be replaced is my answer.

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Tarrant county is listed as an emissions testing county. To answer your question, it's newer than a 1984, and they would test the emissions, so in short, the catalytic converter will have to be replaced is my answer.
    I read the page you linked, instead of immediately clicking the drop-downs. I think it says only gas vehicles are emissions tested.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    It will pass in a non-emissions check County for sure. But I don’t think it’s technically legal. Don’t know if anyone ever having problems though as long as they live somewhere that it passes inspection.

The vehicle has to be inspected in the county the vehicle is registered in. In Tarrant county they have two inspections. A vehicle safety inspection, and an emissions testing.

For the most part, most inspectors would probably give a pass on the missing catalytic converter, but with it missing, not on the emissions testing.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I read the page you linked, instead of immediately clicking the drop-downs. I think it says only gas vehicles are emissions tested.

tenor.gif

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Thanks, but doesn't answer the question.

I think it does if you set the toggle value.

Emissions Testing Procedures
    Is your vehicle required to be emissions tested?
    All Texas registered vehicles are required to receive an annual inspection. All inspections include a comprehensive safety inspection; however, some vehicles are required to have an emissions test in addition to the safety inspection.

Which vehicles are required to have the emissions test?

Vehicles registered in designated counties. Designated counties include: Brazoria, Collin, Dallas, Denton, El Paso, Ellis, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Johnson, Kaufman, Montgomery, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis, and Williamson. Gasoline powered vehicles.
    Diesel powered vehicles and motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing, but are still required to have the annual safety inspection.
    Vehicles 2 through 24 years old OR upon expiration of the two-year initial inspection sticker.

miniion26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2020
    Highlands
    Of all the big rigs and big trucks that I've seen down here no one has a cat converter! All I hear is the sweet sounding whoosh of turbinesalso
    Being that old I don't think emissions are required anymore at least my 2005 Mercedes diesel didn't need it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    You'd be surprised at how much one does that ain't "technically legal".

In counties that don't do emissions testing, all the inspector can do in reality is a visual inspection of the emissions devices and verify that they are present, and don't appear to be tampered with or modified.

Years ago, when I did DOT and vehicle safety inspections, I was more concerned with the things that made a vehicle safe, or unsafe to operate on public roads.

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    Diesels don’t get emissions testing. However, inspector might notice it missing during safety inspection. But it’s doubtful.

Top Bottom