Texas SOT

Difference between the Work Sharp Mk2 & Work Sharp Ken Onion edition?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toby1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2018
    Llano, Tx
    I'm thinking about buying a Work Sharp, either the MK2 or the Ken Onion edition. Is it worth the extra $50 - $60 difference for the Ken Onion edition? It would only be used for kitchen knives (RADA) and my pocketknives ( CRKT & Schrade folders & Boker otf auto). All my life I have used stones, but I'm having a harder time keeping my hand steady to get a good edge. Thanks
    Guns International

Reactions: MTA

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I was looking at both of these about 6 months ago. I ended up with this instead and it works great. $120 but it is worth every cent imo. Might not be ideal for larger kitchen knives though

Amazon product ASIN B09FWWDFF9

But if you are set on the powered model, id get the Ken Onion version. Someone on amazon laid out the diffferences better than I can:

Q: What is the didff between this and the more expensibe "Ken Onion" model?
    A: The Ken Onion version of our Knife & Tool Sharpener is going to have more adjustments. The 3 key differences between the WSKTS MK2 & the KO are:

1. Angle Guides: Ken Onion Version is adjustable from 15°-30° (in 1° increments)
    (KTS MK2 has 2 guides available: 20° and 25°)

2. Belts: Ken Onion Version uses premium ¾” x 12” Norton Norax belts
    (KTS MK2 has ½” x 12” abrasive belts)

3. Motor: Ken Onion Version has a variable-speed heavy duty motor
    (KTS MK2 can be run on High or Low power, non-variable)

toby1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2018
    Llano, Tx
    I was looking at both of these about 6 months ago. I ended up with this instead and it works great. $120 but it is worth every cent imo. Might not be ideal for larger kitchen knives though

Amazon product ASIN B09FWWDFF9

But if you are set on the powered model, id get the Ken Onion version. Someone on amazon laid out the diffferences better than I can:

Q: What is the didff between this and the more expensibe "Ken Onion" model?
    A: The Ken Onion version of our Knife & Tool Sharpener is going to have more adjustments. The 3 key differences between the WSKTS MK2 & the KO are:

1. Angle Guides: Ken Onion Version is adjustable from 15°-30° (in 1° increments)
    (KTS MK2 has 2 guides available: 20° and 25°)

2. Belts: Ken Onion Version uses premium ¾” x 12” Norton Norax belts
    (KTS MK2 has ½” x 12” abrasive belts)

3. Motor: Ken Onion Version has a variable-speed heavy duty motor
    (KTS MK2 can be run on High or Low power, non-variable)
    Thanks for your answer. This is exactly the info I needed. I'll go with the Ken Onion version.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Thanks for your answer. This is exactly the info I needed. I'll go with the Ken Onion version.
    yea I think with the KO version you can also buy the optional grinder attachment. Not sure if the mk2 supports that. Let me know how it goes

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    112492143.861ZDcnL.Rainman100dollars.jpg

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have a KO, case and extra belts. It works great. For my smaller knives, I have a Wicked Edge too. It cost a lot more, but it puts an edge on that I only have touch up once or twice a year. But I strop my knives after use too.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    I also have a KO, a lot of knife snobs experts don't like these types of sharpeners because it creates a convex edge. I sharpened my every-day steak knives and it brought them back to factory sharp. Some others have said it goes through belts really quick, but there are so many made-in-china knockoffs belts are fairly inexpensive if you don't want to go with Work Sharp.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Convex edge is good for a edge that gets heavy use. It tends to last a little longer than a bevel edge. But it is hard to get without a belt and most people have a very hard time stropping them to keep the edge without a belt. Getting a straight bevel is easier to do and touch up. Less metal loss so blades tend to last longer. The right bevel angle plays a big part as well.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom