• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cityboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Fredericksburg, TX
    Anybody else have this problem?: when I try to rack a pistol with a heavy recoil spring and a frame-mounted thumb safety in the "up" or safe position, the safety level often prevents me from racking the slide all the way back. Also, I have to take blood thinners and sometimes when I hit the safety lever when racking the slide it gives me bruise, or even worse, cuts my hand open (hate to bleed all over my pistol). I suppose I could leave the safety in the "down" position, but that kind of negates the reason for having one. I guess the other solutions would be to trade the current pistol for one without a thumb safety or trade it in for a double-action revolver.

Suggestions?

Cityboy
    DK Firearms

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Anybody else have this problem?: when I try to rack a pistol with a heavy recoil spring and a frame-mounted thumb safety in the "up" or safe position, the safety level often prevents me from racking the slide all the way back. Also, I have to take blood thinners and sometimes when I hit the safety lever when racking the slide it gives me bruise, or even worse, cuts my hand open (hate to bleed all over my pistol). I suppose I could leave the safety in the "down" position, but that kind of negates the reason for having one. I guess the other solutions would be to trade the current pistol for one without a thumb safety or trade it in for a double-action revolver.

Suggestions?

Cityboy
    Welcome to the forum.
    I am sure that several will chime in, but it will help us to know what model of pistol you are speaking of.

I believe it will come down to technique in how you operate the slide. If you are staying the hold the pistol still with one hand and using just the other to move the slide all the way back you are not using all your strength. You need to use the arm/hand holding the pistol to push towards the other hand that is grasping the slide and then move your hands towards each other. This way each arm only feels half the effort.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Your slide grip should look like this
    5100ca9e74abdd3bfd4a6a52c6400da8.jpg

Cityboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Fredericksburg, TX
    Welcome to the forum.
    I am sure that several will chime in, but it will help us to know what model of pistol you are speaking of.

I believe it will come down to technique in how you operate the slide. If you are staying the hold the pistol still with one hand and using just the other to move the slide all the way back you are not using all your strength. You need to use the arm/hand holding the pistol to push towards the other hand that is grasping the slide and then move your hands towards each other. This way each arm only feels half the effort.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

lonestardiver and baboon,

The gun is a Walther CCP M2 in 9MM. And, yes, I use the two-handed, push-pull technique when racking the slide. However, the safety still "rakes" my left hand and I get bruises and cuts from it.

Cityboy

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I had a Ruger P95 in 40 cal that I had that issue with. I am not a little guy, and I've never been accused of being weak. That spring on that pistol was brutal. It was the strongest spring I have ever encountered. I sold the gun and make sure I can comfortably rack the slide on pistols I am interested in.

I bought that Ruger from an older guy who had the same issue. Never imagined it would be an issue for me. $200 for the gun.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I don't know about every pistol manufactured, but the one I mostly recently bought will 'not rack' with the thumb safety on.

'To rack', you have to have the thumb safety off.

And yes, shooting gloves are your friend if you have hand problems.

There was a time I would shoot a minimum of 500 rounds per session with bare hands.

Now, I 'have' to wear gloves from the git go and shoot an absolute maximum of 150 rounds per outing as that's all my arthritic hands can handle now.

Cityboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Fredericksburg, TX
    Shooters gloves! You do have front serration on the slide try using them.
    Yeah, I have shooters gloves, but I tend not to use them when dry-firing. Guess I'll have to start using them. As far as front serrations go, I really don't like to use them too much. My hands are small and not very strong and I've slipped off of them and wound up with my finger getting caught in the ejection port.

Cityboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Fredericksburg, TX
    I don't know about every pistol manufactured, but the one I mostly recently bought will 'not rack' with the thumb safety on.

'To rack', you have to have the thumb safety off.

And yes, shooting gloves are your friend if you have hand problems.

There was a time I would shoot a minimum of 500 rounds per session with bare hands.

Now, I 'have' to wear gloves from the git go and shoot an absolute maximum of 150 rounds per outing as that's all my arthritic hands can handle now.
    There are a number of pistols that will allow you to rack the slide with the safety on and the Walther CCP M2 is one of them.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Being in your shape you might want a Cock Block, or other assisting device!

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I have always racked a slide like starting a chainsaw Holding the slide & pushing the frame at the same time.
    Yeah. No( at least on the chainsaw technique) drop starting a saw is a big no. ;) Most of y’all know what I do for a living now and a bunch of y’all know what I did for a living before.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Being in your shape you might want a Cock Block, or other assisting device!
    Cock block?? I bet the inventor has children.

Top Bottom