• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I’m thinking of getting a digital scale for my reloading bench. What do you guys use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lynx Defense

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I've got a Frankford Arsenal DS-750. Just got it a few weeks ago when I purchased my reloading equipment.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I bought a Cabela’s branded digital scale for about $40. It came with two little weights to test it’s accuracy. It works great.

Rusty Gun

brass picker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    I have a Dillon and it was expensive but it is so sensitive you have to make sure there is no fan Or a/c vent blowing on or near it to get consistent readings. I have had it for 4-5 years and have had zero problems. I think it is called the determinator or something like that.

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    I have a Dillon and it was expensive but it is so sensitive you have to make sure there is no fan Or a/c vent blowing on or near it to get consistent readings. I have had it for 4-5 years and have had zero problems. I think it is called the determinator or something like that.
    I have that very one, purchased it in Scottsdale at the Dillon store In 2001.
    I think is was made by Ohaus, it still works .

My go-to scale is a 1976 vintage Reeding beam scale .

All my stuff is old, sheesh.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I have a Balance beam, but I just recently took a chance on a National Metallic digital scale simply because it was on sale for $25 at Midwayusa. The reviews are hit or miss, but so far it is working great.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Thanks for all the input. Sadly no matter what scale I look at there is alway a few one star reviews of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've got a Hornady lock n load bench scale I use the most. I have a Franklin arsenal and a beam scale too. The Hornady seems to work pretty well and is always pretty close to its check weights. I'd like it better if it had another digit of resolution, but finding a digital scale like that is significantly more expensive.

Just fyi - I do a fair amount of mass metrology at my work and deal with precision comparators that measure down to 100 micrograms values. those scales are always left on and stored with the scale's full scale mass on them. I always leave the highest value check weight on mine between loading sessions. It really seems to help with zero repeatability.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Some of the lower end digitals are sensitive to electronic interference as well. Being too close to fluorescent lighting can cause accuracy/consistency problems. I've got an early PACT that has never given me any problems. Have an RCBS 5-0-5 for a backup.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I too have the Frankford Arsenal DS-750 and it compares to my RCBS chargemaster and they all compare to my Lee balance scale so I feel very confident and mainly use the Frankford Arsenal DS-750 . I recalibrate with the included weights if I haven't used in awhile.

Dermako

Insensitivity Trained
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 16, 2019
    DFW
    I have used the FA DS-750 for years as well.
    I like it so well I have a new one setting on the shelf in case my in use one bites the dust.
    In addition to recalibrate often should be a rule for all reloads, use a charge standard as well.
    Or close to it. I typically use a spent shell casing (pistol cartridge).

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I have had a terrible experience with this: "Hornady 050106 G2-1500 Electronic Powder Scale"
    Amazon product ASIN B017S6PPNU

I wouldnt take one of these for free. I moved from that POS to a RCBS chargemaster lite and my reloading experience has greatly improved. I dont know about any other digital scale but thought I needed to post this warning

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom