• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brassguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 15, 2017
    Wichita Falls
    so, I just acquired a brand new SDB for a price that I Littleton could not pass up. Was thinking of flipping it, but since I get tired of using my Rockchukker for bulk handgun, I'm going to use it myself. For anyone that owns one, I'm looking for tips, tricks, etc.
    Venture Surplus ad

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'm not trying to sound like a smart arse, but really Dillion has some great videos on Youtube

Also other people have lots of videos with tips and ideas
    I don't know about you, but I can learn really fast watching someone do something

I have a 650 and a 550B, and would like either a Square Deal or another 550
    The Square Deal is a great little press, only real downfall is that it only uses Dillon Dies
    I have big hands so, I don't know about the smaller area you have to work with the SD, whereas the 550 shell plate area is much larger to work with

What caliber did yours come with?

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Go with the Dillon brand case lube. It's the b st stuff on the market for their press. Dillon will bend over backward to help you with this press so get an exploded diagram and see exactly what you have. What if any parts you are missing and what you need. Take your time loading and don't rush. The press is quick enough once you get the hang of it.
    Learn to feel the press each step has a feel and knowing that helps you diagnose an issue before the machine has a hiccup. See if you can replace the ball handle with a roller handle. I fine they are more comfortable than the ball. Buy a 50 cal ammo can to put at the end of the ramp to hold all the fine ammo you will be making!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    You can make that case lube cheap
    It's lanolin and Isopropyl alcohol 99% works best

Brassguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 15, 2017
    Wichita Falls
    VMAX,
    Thanks. I have watched all the videos when I ended up buying this press. But like when I bought my first progressive shotgun reloaded, some people have developed tips and tricks the manufacture doesn't tell you that can really help out.

The press came in 40 S&W which is lucky being one of the two calibers I load in bulk for haindgun. The other being .45ACP. I litterly have 4 5 gallon buckets of once fired brass ready to reload.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The SDB is a good little press if you want to keep a press dedicated to one caliber.

It is limited but it works. I didn't use mine long enough to come up with any tricks or tips though.

SPDGG

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Brassguy, congrats on a fine progressive straight wall handgun caliber press. . . this pretty much sums it up. It's great at what it does, in the size that it is = it's hard to beat for the price. It will keep up with any progressive that is not using a case feeder. I have a 650XL, LnL, and SDB(s) . . . I don't like changing calipers on presses ;) . . . LnL is my prep press or stand by

I would highly recommend the Dillon Tray Bracket, InlineFabrication Roller Handle, LED Light, and Dillon or InlineFabrication stong mount . . . are these needed, nope. But, sure do make reloading on this nice. . . . I prefer to stand and the strong mount on a 34-36" workbench work out great.

If you stick to one bullet type-profile/weight, & powder type/charge, you can pretty much set it and just load. BUT, I recommend & I always throw a few charges to make sure eveything is good to go before any session.

With prefilled primer tubes, you can "safely" produce a few hundred rounds per hour.

shooter60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Breckenridge Tx.
    Get the strong mount and I have a powder measure and tool head for each of my calibers I reload that way I can just pull the 4 bolts and change dies and swap the tool head and then you do not have to do a bunch of adjustments for your powder

Brassguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 15, 2017
    Wichita Falls
    Shooter60,
    Thanks will plan on doing that since the only other caliber I load in bulk is 45ACP. Everything else I only load in small batches so I can do that on my rock chucker.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    A few years ago, I had a SDB. I loaded only 45 ACP on it. I always had problems with the primer drop feature of this press. I contacted Dillion for assistance and new primer parts on numerous occassions. More spent primers ended up on the floor than in the spent primer receptacle. I finally just hand primed my brass and skipped the initial step on the machine.
    Later on I had a chance to buy a brand new in the box 550B with 45 ACP dies and the Dillion accessory package for $250. The owner bought it some 15 years ago. Shortly after the purchase he got a divorce. He then moved to an apartment where reloading would have caused problems. He said he finally got tired of moving it from one apartment to another, so he sold it to me. I now reload my 45 ACP on the 550B press and have had almost zero problems. What issues I have had were quickly remedied by the Dillion Customer Service staff.

One tip from Dillion that has made reloading a lot easier, was to lube the plunger and handle pivot points with 30WT motor oil. I was using a light silicon based oil. The 30WT motor oil makes things slide much easier.
    Thanks Dillion.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My SD press was very interesting and very functional. The work area is way too small for my giant hands, so I sold it to one of our members with several caliber sets. He wrote some time later and said that it was ticking along just fine!

Flash

Top Bottom