Patriot Mobile

Dimpling the barrel help needed (Austin)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Well, I have my barrel and gas block. But I am clueless on how to dimple this barrel properly and set the screws in for the gas block. Who in the area knows how to do it and would give me a hand? I'd appreciate it.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Well, I have my barrel and gas block. But I am clueless on how to dimple this barrel properly and set the screws in for the gas block. Who in the area knows how to do it and would give me a hand? I'd appreciate it.
    Let me state that I haven't done it and am not sure it needs to be done anyways. Not an AR expert for sure but a student of everything mechanical.

Are you sure it needs to be done or do you just want it done for reliability reasons? Either way here is my take on doing it if you choose to.

First off you need to be sure the gas block is set properly. Two ways to do this. One is to pump air into the barrel and move the block until you get full air release. The other is to put it together and shoot it while moving the block to insure the action is functioning properly.

Keep in mind the block may not be tight to the shoulder on the barrel and may need to twist side to side too.

Once you are happy tighten the set screws to mark the barrel, take it apart, and drill small holes (dimple depth) for the screws to set in.

A clamp and drill press would be handy but it could be done free hand too. Start with a small pilot hole but use a big enough bit to allow the set screws a nice size dimple to set in. Drill slow and easy and it doesn't need to be deep at all.

I think with a few tools this is a DIY project.

For all I know there is a standard dimple placement but it seems to me when you mix parts that would all go out the window.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I can build a lower no problem, but the upper is something I'm not familiar with. I've watched a lot of videos and everyone seems to dimple the barrel and set the screws in. I'm really wary of drilling into a barrel that I paid damn near 300 dollars for. If its not necessary for reliable function I won't do it. I'll just locktight the gasblock screws and set them.

lbbf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    Lake Jackson
    I have both dimpled and non-dimpled barrels. Honestly the only difference is the dimple helps align the gas block for me. I check the gas block screws every once in awhile and have never had one come loose yet and I shoot 1000 rounds or more a year out of each gun. If you really want to dimple your barrel there are lots of jigs to help out. Just a quick search on midway.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019522258?pid=965167

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I can build a lower no problem, but the upper is something I'm not familiar with. I've watched a lot of videos and everyone seems to dimple the barrel and set the screws in. I'm really wary of drilling into a barrel that I paid damn near 300 dollars for. If its not necessary for reliable function I won't do it. I'll just locktight the gasblock screws and set them.
    Loctite doesn't hold up to heat well if that's a concern. Rockset is the way to go for that but I don't know where to get it locally.

I get not wanting to drill it. The term "dimple" implies the use of force like with a hammer and punch or a press. That's what I would avoid as it seems like a good way to ruin a barrel.

All you can do is try it and see how it holds up. If the block moves without a dimple then look at other options.

Set screws are usually designed with a sharp point to dig in so I don't think it will be an issue if tightened properly.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    If you install the gas block on the barrel first,after you tighten down the set screws they should leave marks on the barrel. Remove the gas block,and then use a center punch to mark the center of each set screw mark on the barrel. Then use a drill bit about the same diameter of the set screws,and drill a dimple in the barrel about a 1/16" deep where each screw hits on the barrel.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    You can buy a dimple jig for $25 from KAK.
    You are not going deep at all, just giving the set screw more bite and holding the block centered.
    You really don't need to do it. I believe military rifles are either pinned or dimpled.

I have never had a problem.
    However I built a 458 SOCOM upper. It has some pretty healthy recoil. And I am a bit worried about things shaking loose.
    I purchased the jig from KAK in
    .75 diameter. Assembled and test fired the upper. Now I plan on disassembling and dimpling.
    gbdimple.jpg

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Attachments

• gbdimple.jpg
      gbdimple.jpg
      5.3 KB · Views: 504

just country

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Texas
    morning, go to youtube for instructions and installation.
    next go to Long range hunting forum. there is a club of
    shooters that shoot the AR style weapon.
    justme gbot tum

Top Bottom