Gun Zone Deals

Dipped my toes in the motorcycle pool...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    Bought my first motorcycle today! I know it's a Honda and it's only a 600, but I just got my license this week and have never ridin one before so I thought I'd start small. Figure I'll learn on this for about a year till I get feel comfortable enough to jump up in size. Put 60 miles on it today and I must say it's pretty fun...plus I figure it'll save me some gas too.

Military Camp

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    That is a great bike.It is definitely going to save you gas and insurance is cheap.I have a 1986 Magna in Mint condition with only 10,000 miles and it runs like new.Be aware of your surroundings as it takes one person to ruin your day.Ride safe!:D

brainiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    Congratulations; have fun and ride safe. Texas is a great place to ride because you can pretty much year-round and there are so many great/pretty back roads.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Congratulations, that's a good looking bike!

I think you made a very smart choice by starting off with a smaller bike. You'll learn much faster on it.......and have a lot of fun doing it.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Congratulations, that's a good looking bike!

I think you made a very smart choice by starting off with a smaller bike. You'll learn much faster on it.......and have a lot of fun doing it.

Ditto. Take a MC Safety Course also.

My first bike was a Honda Ascot back in 1984 (yeah, I'm old). It was 500 CC and I had one of our motor jocks give me some training. It was INVALUABLE.

I am hoping to buy my fourth MC this fall.

brainiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    My first bike was a Honda Ascot back in 1984 (yeah, I'm old).

So you're old, huh? :D my first was a 1949 BSA B-33, back in 1969. :p
    49bsa.jpg

hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    I broke it in pretty good today (for me anyways). My father and I took a trip up to Guymon, OK and back today (just under 200 miles). I think this little 600 did pretty good, I was able to keep it up with traffic with ease. I averaged between 65-70 mph (pegged out at 92 mph once though...I had to see what it would do :D) and got 60 mpg on the way there but only got 43 on the way back due to wind. I was worried it wouldn't have enough power but I was impressed it did really well for it's size. I would recommend this VLX for any new rider.

I did ride my father's Honda 1300C for about 20 miles and man that was freakin sweet...but I think mine was more comfortable though.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    You are close enough to New Mexico & Colorado to make me jealous! I'd love to ride out there. Most of our riding is done in the Texas Hill Country, up to N.E. Oklahoma, or South to Houston/Galveston.

Isn't it funny how we look at a 600 as something to learn on, when it's really a nice mid-sized bike? It wasn't until they came out with the 1500's , 1800's, and now 2300 (Triumph) that a bike of 600 cc's is no longer a middle-weight. Used to be, that was something you worked up to...............

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    Congrats on joining the brotherhood of two wheels ... I started riding in 1966 (good grief!) while I was in the Air Force ... have never been without a bike since, even when I was serving overseas ... Currently ride a 2001 Harley ... I've had a Honda or two, always excellent bikes ... good luck ... make sure you take it easy for the first 6 mo to a year; that's the most dangerous part of your riding career ... I've had only one minor accident in more than 40 years, so it can be done if you pay attention and don't let any idiots in cages sneak up on you ...

BeNotAfraid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Red River, Texas
    ...you "young uns" don't know old!

great bike there!

but you young fellers don't know "old"

I started me on an ancient Indian back in 1960:
    Indian_motorcycle.jpg

I was lucky, since an Indian "Dealer" had a parts barn close to me!

Man--auto-self start? NOPE! You'd better have a durn good kickin foot!

ENJOY!

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Bought my first motorcycle today! I know it's a Honda and it's only a 600, but I just got my license this week and have never ridin one before so I thought I'd start small. Figure I'll learn on this for about a year till I get feel comfortable enough to jump up in size. Put 60 miles on it today and I must say it's pretty fun...plus I figure it'll save me some gas too.

That's awesome. Bikes are so much fun. ENJOY EVERY MINUTE but ride defensively and be careful!

great bike there!

I started me on a 1941 Indian back in 1960:
    Indian_motorcycle.jpg

That's really cool. My dad rode Indians and played in Rock & Roll bands back in the 50s and loved it... until my mom came a long and "Tamed" him!

brainiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    great bike there!

I started me on an ancient Indian back in 1960:
    Indian_motorcycle.jpg

I was lucky, since an Indian "Dealer" had a parts barn close to me!

Man--auto-self start? NOPE! You'd better have a durn good kickin foot!

ENJOY!

You've got me beat in the age dept., but the picture above looks very like a Harley-Davidson VL. I collect Indians and used to make a living as an Indian and Harley mechanic a long time ago.

A few of my Indians, past and present:
    46chiefchop.jpg

42bob2.jpg

4198a512.jpg

47Chief.jpg

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    You guys have posted some great photos of your rides.

hoytinak, great bike! Welcome to the world of riding Sadly hubby and I are both selling our bikes for our move back. Taking time off is going to hurt :(

photofreeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    My first "Big" bike ( which means could go on the freeway legally) was a 1964 Honda CB-160. It opened up the world to this kid.
    There is no place you can't go on that Honda 600 Shadow.
    I putt around on a 1500 Vulcan Classic these days.

Top Bottom