• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    IMHO if you want a piston gun get one that was designed that way. Sir Eugene Stoner designed the AR-18 and 63A as piston guns. Get an AK, SKS, Valmet, Galil, FNC, Robinson Arms M-96/XCR, Beretta AR 70/90, HK 93, etc.
    Capitol Armory ad

ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    HK416,thats why SOCOM are outfitting SOPMOD M4s with them....cause pistons suck. :) I think the XM8 is awesome if a bit "starship troopers" looking.
    I also love the XCR i think it has massive potential and still has the modularity thats great about the AR platform. the SCAR and ACR got screwed being so expensive.....still not clear on how a rifle that is mostly polymer is so damned pricey.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    HK416,thats why SOCOM are outfitting SOPMOD M4s with them....cause pistons suck. :) I think the XM8 is awesome if a bit "starship troopers" looking.
    I also love the XCR i think it has massive potential and still has the modularity thats great about the AR platform. the SCAR and ACR got screwed being so expensive.....still not clear on how a rifle that is mostly polymer is so damned pricey.

A: A lot of stuff gets shoved down SOCOM's throat, and the guys in charge who do it seem to be total HK fanboys. Remember that Mk. 23 pistol? It was an abortion from the start. The operators who were testing it hated it, mostly because of weight but also because it apparently handled like crap, especially with the LAM and suppressor installed.

B: The 416 and other piston-upper rifles have more of a place with special ops types than they do with normal grunts - suppressors and DI are not terribly friendly, but put an adjustable piston system on a rifle and you're ready to play. DI also doesn't like to be fired right out of the water. You have to drain the gas tube out or you're going to break the rifle when you fire. No problem there with piston rifles.

The XM-8 was dropped because that stupid body kit they put on it (it's basically just a G36) wasn't compatible with any of the stuff that's starting to be considered "must-have" rifle accessories by just about every grunt - stuff like the PAQ-4, Aimpoint or ACOG optics, front vertical grip, etc.

ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    i agree they should have just submitted a shortened and modified G36,a great rifle imho. i think grunts would benefit from a 416 piston system on their M4s as well....anything that makes the weapons more reliable and keeps our soldiers alive is worth while.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The G36 ain't all that. It seems like it'd be slightly better, maybe, but only slightly if at all.

The AR family isn't really that unreliable.

Oh, and I want to point out that other countries manufacture, use and love the M16 family of rifle. Most Western special ops units use it, even if the rest of their military doesn't.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think many of us (including myself) are probably out of our lane discussing what scuba ninjas and the like currently use. ;)

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    What HK needs to do is stop being A-holes and start commercially selling the damn Mp5 here like everyone wants. ;)

ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    well at least HK didn't sell out to cohen :P no they didn't invent the piston upper but they make some of the finest weapons on the planet. i think the military would benefit from a piston conversion on existing rifles....a lot cheaper most likely than buying new rifles. You're right the AR family isn't completely unreliable but look at the testing they recently did,i believe the M4 had something like 8x the malfunctions....not good.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    H&K actually is kind of the gun world's Al Gore, now that you mention it.

The worst part is they do currently and have in the past made some pretty cool stuff.

Actually, it's my understanding that the SCAR won whichever SOCOM contract all of those guns were competing for, so it will supposedly start being fielded by them on a large scale now and is apparently already out there even if only in small numbers.

Top Bottom