• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Did that too. Deactivated one of our 3 receivers. I wish I could remember which DTV number I called, but I got a fella named Bert who sounded very American. I went to the DTV website the next day, and the receiver had been removed from my equipment list. He said I would receive an email with disposition instructions for the receiver and the access card. It's been a week, but I haven't heard from them.
    You maybe got lucky.
    When we shut our account down when we moved, we followed their instructions to return the equipment. Then, we got a $250 bill, saying we didn't return the equipment. THEN, they tried to bill us $60 for a partial month of service (even though we didn't have the gear to receive, and it should have been stopped).
    I went round and round with a rep on the phone and she finally relented when I threatened to file a complaint with our state's attorney general. And if you check out the AG web site, I bet you will find that the top complaints are coming from the TV content providers. I guess they didn't want more?
    They must have finally logged that equipment back in, because we paid them $0.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Come to think of it, I did catch TWC trying to tack on a cable router fee after a couple of years, when I had purchased my own. But they corrected the billing.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    When we lived in Odessa we had U-Verse and loved it, but every time we talked to AT&T they continuously pushed us toward DirecTV. It didn’t matter what you called them for or they called you for. Every conversation involved how we should shift to DirecTV and how much greater it was.

We had the same thing. We were one of the original areas when UVerse rolled out. 2 tech told me ATT was pushing people to DTV and they kept upping the rate to UVerse. At this last contract signing, I told the rep I preferred UVerse if they wanted to switch me back but nope.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    We had the same thing. We were one of the original areas when UVerse rolled out. 2 tech told me ATT was pushing people to DTV and they kept upping the rate to UVerse. At this last contract signing, I told the rep I preferred UVerse if they wanted to switch me back but nope.
    We never shifted. We stayed with Uverse until we moved, and its the only thing my wife misses about living in Odessa.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    There are many options for streaming. Fire Tv, google chromcast, hulu slingbox roku etc. . I use chromecast to stream off my phone and tablet. You can use your PC also.

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    In my area only options are Dish Network and Direct, they're both equally horrible.
    Add to that are only Internet option Hughes Net.
    Only bright side is the kids aren't in front of the TV when it's raining and they can't do more than browse on the internet after they blow past the cap on the first week of the cycle.

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    My wife worked for DirecTV, and for AT&T (on the DirecTV business) for about a year after the purchase.

AT&T doesn’t give a shit about the DirecTV subscriber base. They’ve been pushing people toward terrestrial UVerse service from the get-go.

AT&T bought DirecTV for one reason only: they wanted DirecTV’s wireless spectrum...you know, the frequencies the FCC auctioned-off years ago.

This will allow them to offer (future) very high bandwidth wireless comms under the AT&T umbrella.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Interesting you say that because we've been AT&T customers for a long time. Had U-verse TV (still have the internet) and switched to DirecTV after the buyout because it was way cheaper and plus they said they were phasing U-verse TV out. But just learned that a few of my friends in the neighborhood have either kept or switched back to U-verse. Seems they were just trying to boost the subscriber base for DirecTV for a quick flip? My best guess.

My bill is definitely cheaper now, but did like U-verse better for sure. I'll probably switch back.

And all the folks who said all the satellite providers suck are right, at least from a CS standpoint. I've had them all and they do.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Had DirecTV in Wa. and Dish in Or. and all they do is look to up your bill. Luckily here (although it's not always the best) I get free internet. I do get several channels off the air, but I also have firestick. I can watch off the tv or on my computer. Too many options online for less money to want to go back to satellite tv.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    When we lived in Odessa we had U-Verse and loved it, but every time we talked to AT&T they continuously pushed us toward DirecTV. It didn’t matter what you called them for or they called you for. Every conversation involved how we should shift to DirecTV and how much greater it was.

I can’t attest to what local or regional reps are doing. My wife worked in IT infrastructure for corporate in El Segundo and then Dallas, and that was the company’s mid-term focus.

Long-term, it’s pushing toward streaming over the tasty wireless spectrum that AT&T got out of the deal.

DirecTV’s subscriber base is contracting. Fast...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ariels...v-subscribers-att-attempts-to-lure-streamers/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    We’ve had nothing but hell out of DTV. All the same type of issues you guys have had. My wife ran them off our property when we were trying to add them to our barn/shop. Bought a WiFi extender, got a fire stick & we are in business. I’m fixing to 86 their ass in the main house. The AT&T buyout has changed everything for the worst. They’re terrible!

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    We just lost 2 of the local Austin channels on DTV. What the hell. Channels 36 and 51 went dark at 11:59 pm, July 3. Some kind of contract dispute. There have been threats of losing some of the local channels over the years, but this is the first time it actually happened. And with no warning.

And the damned Centurylink bill went up 4 bucks this month and 2 bucks last month. They explained that the increase was due to an increase in the Federal universal usage surcharge. Well, that was only about half of the increase. They failed to mention they raised the monthly phone package too. Bastages. Vonage is looking pretty good right now.

Last edited:

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    And the damned Centurylink bill went up 4 bucks this month and 2 bucks last month. They explained that the increase was due to an increase in the Federal universal usage surcharge. Well, that was only about half of the increase. They failed to mention they raised the monthly phone package too. Bastages. Vonage is looking pretty good right now.
    Ah, we hated that. Your bill is almost never the same. New little nickel and dime charges every month.

Then, they would call with these offers. Get this free for six months, then it's only 8.99/month after that. But you can cancel before the trial is over! Right. Then a charge for the service would show up in TWO months.

They were sly about it. It would be 4.99 when it showed up. So it just looked like their usual "bump" and you would not notice. We only had Internet with them for a while. I finally called them and said "I want a monthly rate. I want our bill to stay constant for AT LEAST three months. Or I am ditching you. And they almost did it. We had two months at the same rate.

Wow, they suck. I am glad to be done with them. Although now we are on crappy satellite Internet, I would love that DSL back.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    . . .

Wow, they suck. I am glad to be done with them. Although now we are on crappy satellite Internet, I would love that DSL back.

We found that our T-Mobile cellular data at our current home is much faster than our AT&T DSL line at our old home. Go figure. AT&T sucks and I hate 'em.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    We found that our T-Mobile cellular data at our current home is much faster than our AT&T DSL line at our old home. Go figure. AT&T sucks and I hate 'em.

You have the option to up the speed of your ATT internet.
    I have the gig speed at the house.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Ah, we hated that. Your bill is almost never the same. New little nickel and dime charges every month.

Then, they would call with these offers. Get this free for six months, then it's only 8.99/month after that. But you can cancel before the trial is over! Right. Then a charge for the service would show up in TWO months.

They were sly about it. It would be 4.99 when it showed up. So it just looked like their usual "bump" and you would not notice. We only had Internet with them for a while. I finally called them and said "I want a monthly rate. I want our bill to stay constant for AT LEAST three months. Or I am ditching you. And they almost did it. We had two months at the same rate.

My satellite is running 12 MBPS. Centurylink is 2-3 MBPS now which would you choose? When you decide to live in the country there are perks of city life that can't be transferred. I don't live or die by the internet.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    We had ATT for about 7 years. They were nothing but a headache. They would offer the 24gb speed but after 2 weeks or so the internet would slow down to about half according to the speed tests. I would call wait 45mins on the phone with ATT and then the speed would be returned to have the same cycle repeat. I also was told that have uverse would eat into my internet bandwidth. I now just stream and am using Comcast cable internet.

Look up pluto it is a free TV app like cable/dtv.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom