• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    My satellite is running 12 MBPS. Centurylink is 2-3 MBPS now which would you choose? When you decide to live in the country there are perks of city life that can't be transferred. I don't live or die by the internet.
    Our satellite is supposed to be "up to" 25 Mbps and we got about 12 when I first turned it on. I think the killer is the latency. It runs over 600 ms on Speedtest and is now so high that the test never can complete. I know sat is going to be higher, but we got numbers like 7 and 9 ms when we had CenturyLink DSL and we got 12 Mbps very reliably. The tech that came out one day said we could go to 80 Mbps at our "altitude" (distance from the central office, or whatever).
    You are right that we chose to live the country life. We have an electric coop that says they ought to have fiber in our area within two years. Their plans start at 75 Mbps and go (way) up.
    I look forward to it, but am not holding my breath, either.
    Target Sports

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    We found that our T-Mobile cellular data at our current home is much faster than our AT&T DSL line at our old home. Go figure. AT&T sucks and I hate 'em.
    I expect it would be the same here, except we are on Verizon. We share an account with our son and we usually get the "you're running out of data" message about 8 to 10 days before the end of the billing period. So using them for our link is not going to fly. But he goes onto his own plan, soon. Maybe then...

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Our satellite is supposed to be "up to" 25 Mbps and we got about 12 when I first turned it on. I think the killer is the latency. It runs over 600 ms on Speedtest and is now so high that the test never can complete. I know sat is going to be higher, but we got numbers like 7 and 9 ms when we had CenturyLink DSL and we got 12 Mbps very reliably. The tech that came out one day said we could go to 80 Mbps at our "altitude" (distance from the central office, or whatever).
    You are right that we chose to live the country life. We have an electric coop that says they ought to have fiber in our area within two years. Their plans start at 75 Mbps and go (way) up.
    I look forward to it, but am not holding my breath, either.
    Our electric co-op just finished fiber to my neighborhood. They only have 3 plans, 100 mbps, 250 mbps, or 1gbps, but it’s symmetrical meaning same speed up and down. Once I find TV that momma will be happy with, Suddenlink is history.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Our electric co-op just finished fiber to my neighborhood. They only have 3 plans, 100 mbps, 250 mbps, or 1gbps, but it’s symmetrical meaning same speed up and down. Once I find TV that momma will be happy with, Suddenlink is history.

We hade gigabit fiber at our last house in Dallas. It was awesome.

But to be honest, we’re capped at 300mbps at our current house, and have yet to need more bandwidth. And we typically have 20+ devices connected at any given time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TxStetson

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    We hade gigabit fiber at our last house in Dallas. It was awesome.

But to be honest, we’re capped at 300mbps at our current house, and have yet to need more bandwidth. And we typically have 20+ devices connected at any given time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    We have 1G down and 45 mbps up now with Suddenlink, that started out really fast. After a year, we can usually get around 500-600 mbps hardwired, and about 150 WiFi. During the day we are extremely slow like we’re being throttled down so they can focus the available bandwidth to their commercial customers. Running a vpn it gets even slower because of the slow upload speeds.

I expect the 250mbps symmetrical plan from the co-op to work great for us. If not, 1gbps each way is only $100 / month.

TL;DR - Suddenlink is pissing me off.

Last edited:

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    To me, 250 or 300 mbps seems blazing fast. I get 5.9 mbps down and .5 mbps up on a good day. When it's running that fast, even with 3 computers running at the same time, I don't experience any long buffering times or rebuffering.

TxStetson

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    To me, 250 or 300 mbps seems blazing fast. I get 5.9 mbps down and .5 mbps up on a good day. When it's running that fast, even with 3 computers running at the same time, I don't experience any long buffering times or rebuffering.
    Many moons ago I worked for Compuserve on the side as a chat room monitor, and online tech assist. It was lots of fun most times, unless I was pulling a double in the tech assist help room. During most of that time I had a 32kbps dial up modem. In 2001 our cable company offered us Roadrunner High Speed Internet Service at a huge discount, which was over 1 mbps. It blew my mind that I could update my antivirus in less than a minute compared to 45 minutes previously. Since that point I have been hooked on high speed internet.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    You have the option to up the speed of your ATT internet.
    I have the gig speed at the house.

When I inquired about it, AT&T told me I could upgrade to a plan that was "capable of" a higher speed, but there was no assurance that it would actually be faster. Screw that.

Wodon43

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    North of Houston
    I gladly paid the early termination fee from DirectTv and moved to Dish, where I got 5X the channels for the same price. Years ago I had ATT Uverse and really liked it. I moved to a subdivision where people across the street could get Uverse but I couldn’t so adios Uverse

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond

We seem to be capped at around that as well. I was on Gigabit for a while but never got anywhere close to it with a fresh installation in a new house. We dropped to the 300 Mbps plan and the speed has been the same. The only thing that's somewhat of a bummer is we are capped at 1 TB per month but we haven't gotten close to that. Even if I end up working from home again we should be fine with that.

Since that point I have been hooked on high speed internet.

My point was when my friend's dad had an ISDN line installed in his house for work. Surfing the web that fast was awesome. It was a game changer when we finally got a DSL line at home too.

Old_Inspector

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    I've had CATV, DISH TV and AT&T U-Verse. The U-Verse is very reliable; when I have run into receiver trouble, i only need to report it and I'll have a new receiver within two days. I then only have to drop off the non-functioning receiver at the nearest UPS store for transport back to AT&T. DISH TV is like DIRECT TV and is badly affected by weather problems. AT&T pushes DIRECT TV because there is more money in it and it can be run anywhere as reception is via satellite dish, so their maintenance costs per unit are extremely low. AT&T U-Verse is a land-line system that requires that the user be within 17,000 yards of the nearest switch. I have the 25 MBPS plan for internet which works well enough for my home-office connection to my downtown office.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Hard to believe anyone could miss ATT's Uverse. In my current neighborhood, almost everyone has switched from ATT to Suddenlink. The highest speed available via ATT is 50 Mbps. Suddenlink has up to 1000 Mbps. I'm paying less money for 400 Mbps service compared to the price I was paying for ATT's 50 Mbps service. Plus there service is more reliable. Still sticking with Directv. Like the service, but will admit it's expensive. Since ATT acquired Directv, they've screwed up some things with Directv. The menu system use to work great until ATT changed it. Now you can easily search for pay movie but a simple search of a show via the new menu can't search for all shows with just one click on the current show. Now you have go to the search function, type in the name to search. ATT is F'd up IMO.

TxStetson

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    AT&T was the fastest internet we could get in Odessa. Our current 1000 mbps service with Suddenlink started out great, but now it’s super slow, and they say everything is normal. We have lost internet twice this morning. I foresee me having a new provider pretty quickly.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    AT&T was the fastest internet we could get in Odessa. Our current 1000 mbps service with Suddenlink started out great, but now it’s super slow, and they say everything is normal. We have lost internet twice this morning. I foresee me having a new provider pretty quickly.
    I keep thinking about getting different internet service since the one I'm on is business dedicated and drops off quite a bit. Then I remind myself that free is hard to beat. The tower is on the property and that's why the owner allows us free internet.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    This just in: On June 25th, I contacted DTV and asked them to deactivate one of my receivers, and they promptly did so. I was advised I would receive a return carton for the receiver and an envelop would be sent in the mail to return the access card in.

On July 12th, I received the return carton via FedEx and an instruction letter in the US mail. No mention of the access card, but the letter said I had 21 days to return the receiver from the date I deactivated it or I would be charged for it. The box has a post paid USPS sticker for the return at no charge to me. Here's the kicker. I receive the box on Friday the 12th. Post office is closed on the weekend. Tomorrow, Monday, is day 21.

Top Bottom