• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Don't really see how this is the businesses fault. People go to bars to get drunk that's their business, they have no control over what a customer does after they leave.

Sent from a creepy ass cracka.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Don't really see how this is the businesses fault. People go to bars to get drunk that's their business, they have no control over what a customer does after they leave.

Sent from a creepy ass cracka.

thats like blamimg the gun when someone gets shot

Not exactly, or even close.

People at the bar serve you. An accurate analogy would be blaming the monster truck.

Texas has dram shop laws and TABC licensees know it. There is seller training and the sellers know the law. When the licensees and employees don't care if a person drinks too much so they can earn more profit they take on accountability and liability.

As well they should

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    When the licensees and employees don't care if a person drinks too much so they can earn more profit they take on accountability and liability.

As well they should

I know where you're coming from, but I'll play devils advocate. Define "too much" As BAC levels continue to decrease, would any 51% establishment survive if they had a one or two drink maximum? And why should it be against any policy if someone wants to go out and tie one on, as long as they don't drive? Does the training include figuring out if the person has other means of transportation?

I'm not by any means trying to justify what the driver of the truck in this story did, but our laws are screwed up. If we were serious about stopping drunk driving, we would stop wasting time trying to train bartenders (who make tips off of people drinking) into recognizing drunks and we would start putting officers in the parking lots of bars and train them to recognize drunks and keep them off the road.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I know where you're coming from, but I'll play devils advocate. Define "too much" As BAC levels continue to decrease, would any 51% establishment survive if they had a one or two drink maximum? And why should it be against any policy if someone wants to go out and tie one on, as long as they don't drive? Does the training include figuring out if the person has other means of transportation?
    who said anything about one or two drink minimums? And yes, serving people to intoxication should be prohibited. For many reasons. What do you mean by BQC levels continue to decrease?
    I'm not by any means trying to justify what the driver of the truck in this story did, but our laws are screwed up. If we were serious about stopping drunk driving, we would stop wasting time trying to train bartenders (who make tips off of people drinking) into recognizing drunks and we would start putting officers in the parking lots of bars and train them to recognize drunks and keep them off the road.

So have the cops manage the drunks? Really?

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    You will never be able to keep all drunk drivers off the road. But some countries in Europe have a good system where if you are caught drunk driving, you loose your license permanently.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    People, including you, would scream foul, waste of time/manpower, etc.

Actually, no I wouldn't. Drunk driving is drunk driving, and it would seem much easier to catch them of you patrolled the bars and took care of it on the spot vs letting them out on the highway. It isn't a waste of time and manpower. It might actually make a difference, especially if done in conjunction with bartender training for spotting the drunks. Heck, you could even get cab companies involved for rides home. I say all of this because of how I feel about drinking and driving. I think we are entirely too lax in how we catch, prosecute, and punish them.

I don't scream foul at the extremely high presence, including a mobile jail, at the races twice a year. They bust a ton of drunks and I am happy for it.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    There already IS "bartender training". And unless you want to quadruple the size of most PDs, there are nowhere near enough cops to sit outside each bar and deal with every drunk that walks out. Not to mention that idea flies in the face of the idea of individual responsibility.

As a selfproclaimed "right wing extremist" I would think that you like the idea of letting someone actually demostrate that they have or are in the midst of committing a crime before police detain them.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    There already IS "bartender training". And unless you want to quadruple the size of most PDs, there are nowhere near enough cops to sit outside each bar and deal with every drunk that walks out. Not to mention that idea flies in the face of the idea of individual responsibility.

As a selfproclaimed "right wing extremist" I would think that you like the idea of letting someone actually demostrate that they have or are in the midst of committing a crime before police detain them.

Nowhere did I say not let them demonstrate that they have committed a crime. Is it not a crime to be stumbling drunk and drive out of the parking lot?
    If you took my statement to imply that they bust em at the door then you misunderstood.

As to the necessary size of the PD, I think that's probably an exaggeration on your part. Bars aren't generally scattered one per square mile. I just believe, a PD could crack down on it if they chose to. It's kind of like speeding and driving on the shoulder. We as commuters know where it happens on a daily basis, surely the local PD is aware.
    They could, and occasionally do, put a dent in it. Same process could be applied to drunk driving. If word gets out that PD is busting people leaving joes bar, joes bar either enforces the bartender training or they lose custom.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Gotta find somebody with money to sue. And it is.not.enough.to blame the guy who got bebind the wheel after drinking way too much. Gotta find somebody else to blame.
    STUPID!!!! Quit trying to blame everybody other tban the guilty.

I'm not arguing what the law is - we have all kinds of retarded laws.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    who said anything about one or two drink minimums? And yes, serving people to intoxication should be prohibited. For many reasons. What do you mean by BQC levels continue to decrease?

What part do you not understand? What were the levels 20 years ago vs. today? How many drinks does it take an average person today to blow at or over the legal limit?

So have the cops manage the drunks? Really?

No, you're right. We should place the responsibility on keeping our public roadways safe on private businesses.

The people who over serve are complicit.

Define over serve? If I go to a bar or sportsbar and decide to have 3 beers per hour for 3 hours, should I be cut off? I would definitely be intoxicated according to the driving laws in the State of Texas.

My wife doesn't drink, so what if she were drivng me home? I should still be cut off? The bartender should be trained to interview my designated driver to determine if she was really driving me home? What if I'm traveling and decide to have several at the hotel bar because I'm a light sleeper and don't sleep in hotel rooms well and I just plan on driving the elevator up a couple of floors to go to bed. (If you bring up public intoxication then that goes back to the drink minimum you claim to not have brought up).

Top Bottom