• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • partzguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2017
    DFW
    I recently obtained my Texas LTC. My wife does not have one. We often travel together on long road trips and switch out driving. What obligation, if any, would she have to notify the officer if she were pulled over and I was riding as a passenger with my EDC?
    Capitol Armory ad

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    If I, as a passenger, were asked for an id, and I was carrying, I would produce both licenses - but I don't think that I'd be obligated to do so.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    If I, as a passenger, were asked for an id, and I was carrying, I would produce both licenses - but I don't think that I'd be obligated to do so.

Under the Texas Government Code 411(h) you are required to do so. The code requires that anytime a magistrate or peace officer demands that you ID yourself, if you are carrying you must display both your LTC and your state issued ID.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Under the Texas Government Code 411(h) you are required to do so. The code requires that anytime a magistrate or peace officer demands that you ID yourself, if you are carrying you must display both your LTC and your state issued ID.
    To be fair, a LTC is a state issued ID.

If the only state issued ID you have is your LTC......

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    To be fair, a LTC is a state issued ID.

If the only state issued ID you have is your LTC......

Cannot get an LTC without a DPS DL or ID Card.

Texas Government Code

Sec. 411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I recently obtained my Texas LTC. My wife does not have one. We often travel together on long road trips and switch out driving. What obligation, if any, would she have to notify the officer if she were pulled over and I was riding as a passenger with my EDC?

NONE.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

You are obligated by law to provide your LTC when asked for ID, but as we have discussed ad nauseum, there is no legal penalty if you do not.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    So if a LEO runs your DL during a traffic stop will it show if you have a LTC? I assumed it would? On a recent traffic stop I was asked for my DL & insurance verification. Since my pistol was in the console and I didn’t need to open it I never mentioned it nor did I offer my LTC. Got a driving award and was released. Again, I just figured when he ran my DL it would have informed him if I had a LTC?

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    You are obligated by law to provide your LTC when asked for ID, but as we have discussed ad nauseum, there is no legal penalty if you do not.
    Well other than pissing off an officer contemplating ticketing you. Just sayin.

Last edited:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Well not all LEO contacts involving driving, Just sayin.
    Sorry, just assumed that in the context of a discussion regarding traffic stops were talking about traffic stops.

Even in other contexts I find that one should pick their battles and battle fields, something that should pretty obvious to Texans as it is the foundation of the republic.

You may win any battle over being ticketed or charged by a pissed off hoplophobe with a badge in the end but why go down that road unnecessarily? You know all that art of war, picking a hill to die on, cost vers reward shit.

Not trying to sound like an ars, just happens.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Even in other contexts I find that one should pick their battles and battle fields, something that should pretty obvious to Texans as it is the foundation of the republic.

You may win any battle over being ticketed or charged by a pissed off hoplophobe with a badge in the end but why go down that road unnecessarily? You know all that art of war, picking a hill to die on, cost vers reward shit.

Not trying to sound like an ars, just happens.

As I said in Post #10, "...as we have discussed ad nauseum..."

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    There is no obligation. You must choose what you think is right for each situation.

As has been stated, there is a rule with no penalty. A rule with no penalty attached means nothing.

partzguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2017
    DFW
    Thanks for the replies. I’d have no problem disclosing that I have a LTC and a firearm if asked while riding as a passenger. Just wanted to be sure that my wife as driver would not be obligated to offer up that information when interacting with the officer unless she was specifically asked.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Thanks for the replies. I’d have no problem disclosing that I have a LTC and a firearm if asked while riding as a passenger. Just wanted to be sure that my wife as driver would not be obligated to offer up that information when interacting with the officer unless she was specifically asked.

If you are at a 7-11 and a police officer walked in would you feel obligated to inform? How about if the officer struck up a conversation with you about the weather?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom