• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Check your owners manual, you might be surprised at the torque spec. 130 lb. ft. is now pretty common, and I've seen higher.
    Lowest of my vehicles is 75, 105 for the highest. I have no idea who changed the tires on my LR4 before I bought it, but I had to jump on my breaker bar with a 4ft cheater pipe to break them loose. I don't let anyone near my nuts with an impact...
    Capitol Armory ad

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I used Discount Tire exclusively for over 30 years and recommended them highly. That ended about five years ago.

Their customer service has been terrible and their price isn't nearly the best. I sure miss the days when I would just head to Discount and buy Michelin LTX tires for the truck.

Firestone has a lifetime alignment (one stop shop), six months same as cash and the Transforce is great tire. I may not recommend Firestone with the enthusiasm I used to have for Discount Tire, but overall they are certainly a better bet.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    There's probably an independent shop near you that would really appreciate your business.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    I have two of my vehicles registered with Discount Tire.
    My only issue with them is they are ALWAYS so busy.

Simple things like removing a nail or quick rotation take between 2 to 4 hours.
    They used to be good, but the wait time has me going to the mom and pop shops with no wait. Minor repairs are like $6 to $10 and worth it, especially if only takes about 10 minutes to do.

millstadt-1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2022
    Waco texas
    I've had nothing but good experiences with my discount tire. If you talk to the guys they are willing to help you out. AKA find other discounts and things to through in - amazing how far a little decency goes.

Wulf202

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2021
    Canton tx
    Having worked at discount tire once upon a time, a lot of it comes down to the store manager's priorities as to how customers get treated. If they want to make their bonuses they skimp on worker training and hire anyone that has a pulse then put them on a bay and yell at them when they make a mistake.

So service in one area may be decent, great in another and terrible elsewhere.

After I get a shop compressor I'm trying to decide if I buy my own damned tire machines and skip all this so Tire Rack being bought out is terrible for my plans.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Priced some tires and while others match, I'd have to use some unknown installer that comes to my home or their store doesn't offer lifetime rotation/balance which can be expensive over time. I went to DT yesterday (Saturday!) for new tires. I had a 10am appointment and was done before 10:30am. Granted, my store is between two large towns with extremely busy DT stores and most people just don't drive an extra 5 miles to this store. They were busy but never more than a couple of vehicles backed up.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Before moving and while I was still co-owner of a AAA contractor, we used Discount for most of our fleet. I had one partner that insisted on going to a regional tire chain (Les Schwab for those from the left-coast) - Discount always treated us right. For my personal vehicles, I went to a little Mexican tire shop that had no name. The owner didn't speak English but his daughter did - they could order any tires you want, they came with the same warranty as the others, but they charged less. You paid in cash, they didn't even do Square for cards. I saved $100 a pop per tire - same brand - over the corporate stores this way, for brand new tires.

The guy may not have spoken the same language as me, but he was damn good at his job - he did alignments, balancing, mounting and did better work than the corporate stores. I dunno if it was his son, brother, or rando friend that worked with him in the bays but they did great.

I'll need tires on my personal ride soon. I'd love to find a tire shop like the one I used to go to. I'm not thrilled with the prospect of going to a chain shop again, and being bent over price-wise and playing the customer service Russian roulette game.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I went to a little Mexican tire shop that had no name. The owner didn't speak English but his daughter did - they could order any tires you want, they came with the same warranty as the others, but they charged less. You paid in cash, they didn't even do Square for cards. I saved $100 a pop per tire - same brand - over the corporate stores this way, for brand new tires.
    My favorite mechanic/tire shop was the same when I lived in a rural area. One young guy spoke English. I needed a Ford Ranger radiator around 2010 and he replaced it with a new one for $150 total. My son-in-law uses a tire shop near me now that sells new and used tires for cheap - cash only. Everyone in the shop is Russian per my son-in-law but I suspect they are from some eastern European country near Russia. A couple of years ago he bought some used tires, all matching and with good tread for $100 total - tires and install.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    Been buying from discount tire since 1996 I have had a jackass here and there but that’s just business in the real world. Nation wide warranty coverage, spin balancing, and I have gotten multiple tires replaced over the years with their warranty. I looked at tire rack a few times the price savings aren’t worth my time to have something shipped in, take them to a shop get them mounted, yada yada yada. I walk into DT get my tires and leave. Go back every 5-7k get them rotated, rinse, repeat.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Been buying from discount tire since 1996 I have had a jackass here and there but that’s just business in the real world. Nation wide warranty coverage, spin balancing, and I have gotten multiple tires replaced over the years with their warranty. I looked at tire rack a few times the price savings aren’t worth my time to have something shipped in, take them to a shop get them mounted, yada yada yada. I walk into DT get my tires and leave. Go back every 5-7k get them rotated, rinse, repeat.

Plus they have locations seemingly everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom