• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Well this is disappointing... https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...channel-tire-buying-experience-301437357.html
    "Discount Tire's commitment to provide the most Inviting, Easy, and Safe omnichannel, B2B, and fleet customer experiences in the world."

Enthusiasts are no longer part of the vision, which is what made Tire Rack so awesome.

If Tire Rack go's to shit, I might as well just buy Linglongs direct off Aliexpress...
    Capitol Armory ad

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I've bought a lot from DT but my concern would be the loss of a price competitor. Tire prices having been going up for over a year and will continue to do so from the manufacturers. So their competition will be the limited selection from warehouse clubs, overpriced Firestone stores and unpronounceable names elsewhere?

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Yep, bad news for sure. Discount Tire would always price match against Tire Rack, now they don't have to.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I used to be a fan of Discount Tire. I had several positive tire buying experiences with them, but one time they didn’t have the tire I wanted or a comparable one in stock. So I ordered the tires I wanted from, you guessed it, Tire Rack. I took the wheels off the car and carried the wheels and new tires to them. When I told the counter dude I need tires I already have mounted, he gets the manager. Manager comes over, takes a look, and tells me it’ll be $100 per wheel. He had an attitude about it to boot. All they had to do was mount the tires… Went across the street to NTB and got it done for $28 per wheel and the people there were more friendly.

Discount Tire lost me as a customer permanently that day. Since then I’ve heard many stories of cross threaded and over torqued lug nuts. The worst one of all was they totaled my friend’s Alfa Romeo 4C by lifting it incorrectly, even after my friend explicitly showed them the correct lift points. Even more horrifically, they handed him the keys without telling him. He only noticed because the side skirts looked a little messed up. After confronting the manager about it, he admitted they had ignored his warnings on how to lift it.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Huh…I like both companies.
    I’m a longtime, regular customer of DT/AT as well.

Good move for tire rack, now they’ll have installers everywhere.

And DT can learn a few things about an online presence from TR…DT’s website looks 20 years old.

I bet shipping costs will go away if the tires are shipped to a local DT/AT store.

There’s plenty of other retailers to price match against. I found that TR typically didn’t have the lowest price so it’s a moot point for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    They already have installers everywhere, and a great installer rating system, too. If this restricts installers to Discount only this will be very bad for Tire Rack.

From their point of view, having your own branded tire stores as the distribution system is preferable to random tire shops that aren’t company owned.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    From their point of view, having your own branded tire stores as the distribution system is preferable to random tire shops that aren’t company owned.
    If the customer service models matched, yes it would be beneficial. Problem is Tire Rack's customer service is high touch, and Discount Tire's is... discount.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I've actually been pretty fortunate with DT, in multiple locations. They have taken good care of me and my cars. A couple examples.

They've proactively come in to the waiting room to get me, because they were concerned they would ding the new rims I brought them. The holes for the lug nuts were uncharacteristically deep. I made their life easier - told them I'd torque the rims on the car so they didn't have to worry about it. He handed me the torque wrench, yes they were using an actual torque wrench, and I finished it up.

I've showed up early for an appointment planning to sit and work on my laptop until they were ready, but they found the time to just finish it up even before my appointment time started.

datatech2550

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2014
    I used Discount Tire exclusively for over 30 years and recommended them highly. That ended about five years ago.

Their customer service has been terrible and their price isn't nearly the best. I sure miss the days when I would just head to Discount and buy Michelin LTX tires for the truck.

Firestone has a lifetime alignment (one stop shop), six months same as cash and the Transforce is great tire. I may not recommend Firestone with the enthusiasm I used to have for Discount Tire, but overall they are certainly a better bet.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I used Discount Tire exclusively for over 30 years and recommended them highly. That ended about five years ago.

Their customer service has been terrible and their price isn't nearly the best. I sure miss the days when I would just head to Discount and buy Michelin LTX tires for the truck.

Firestone has a lifetime alignment (one stop shop), six months same as cash and the Transforce is great tire. I may not recommend Firestone with the enthusiasm I used to have for Discount Tire, but overall they are certainly a better bet.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    Firestone can choke on a bag of bidens penis implants and wash it down with Kamalas love juice.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I used to be a fan of Discount Tire. I had several positive tire buying experiences with them, but one time they didn’t have the tire I wanted or a comparable one in stock. So I ordered the tires I wanted from, you guessed it, Tire Rack. I took the wheels off the car and carried the wheels and new tires to them. When I told the counter dude I need tires I already have mounted, he gets the manager. Manager comes over, takes a look, and tells me it’ll be $100 per wheel. He had an attitude about it to boot. All they had to do was mount the tires… Went across the street to NTB and got it done for $28 per wheel and the people there were more friendly.

Discount Tire lost me as a customer permanently that day. Since then I’ve heard many stories of cross threaded and over torqued lug nuts. The worst one of all was they totaled my friend’s Alfa Romeo 4C by lifting it incorrectly, even after my friend explicitly showed them the correct lift points. Even more horrifically, they handed him the keys without telling him. He only noticed because the side skirts looked a little messed up. After confronting the manager about it, he admitted they had ignored his warnings on how to lift it.
    I think they have gone down hill over the years. I’m finding they are getting sloppy. Took in wife’s car for flat repair and they scratched the crap out of the wheel. I didn’t notice until a few days later when I washed it. Its why I hate the trend of black or dark painted wheels. Scratches really standout as opposed to the natural aluminum color they used to use. They also used the wrong jacking points when we had the tires rotated. Again, I didn’t notice until I washed it again which was a few weeks later. There was a small indention on the bottom side of the back door. The full underside is hidden behind a sound deadening panel so there is no visual to where the jacking points are. You have to look it up in the manual. I *think* they jacked it up where it would make sense to have a lifting point, but the back door wraps under, and they caught the door when they jacked it. I have no way of proving this after the fact, but thankfully it’s not noticeable unless you are looking for it or feeling along the bottom door edge. Then on my truck they over tightened the lugs when I got new tires installed. Just about needed an impact to break the lugs when I was checking the brake pads. No way I would have gotten them off using the lug wrench in the OEM kit if I was stuck on the side of the road somewhere

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    The downside with most stores, you don't receive lifetime balance/rotations. The last time I rotated my OEM tires it was $60 which depending on your tires/vehicle can be an additional $300-$700 over their lifetime.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I think they have gone down hill over the years. I’m finding they are getting sloppy. Took in wife’s car for flat repair and they scratched the crap out of the wheel. I didn’t notice until a few days later when I washed it. Its why I hate the trend of black or dark painted wheels. Scratches really standout as opposed to the natural aluminum color they used to use. They also used the wrong jacking points when we had the tires rotated. Again, I didn’t notice until I washed it again which was a few weeks later. There was a small indention on the bottom side of the back door. The full underside is hidden behind a sound deadening panel so there is no visual to where the jacking points are. You have to look it up in the manual. I *think* they jacked it up where it would make sense to have a lifting point, but the back door wraps under, and they caught the door when they jacked it. I have no way of proving this after the fact, but thankfully it’s not noticeable unless you are looking for it or feeling along the bottom door edge. Then on my truck they over tightened the lugs when I got new tires installed. Just about needed an impact to break the lugs when I was checking the brake pads. No way I would have gotten them off using the lug wrench in the OEM kit if I was stuck on the side of the road somewhere
    Check your owners manual, you might be surprised at the torque spec. 130 lb. ft. is now pretty common, and I've seen higher.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    The downside with most stores, you don't receive lifetime balance/rotations. The last time I rotated my OEM tires it was $60 which depending on your tires/vehicle can be an additional $300-$700 over their lifetime.

Yeah I pay extra at DT to get lifetime re-balances. It especially helps maximize life while minimizing oscillating noises on the MT’s I run on my Silverado

They do rotate for free.

Top Bottom