• ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Just got an email about this

https://www.military.com/daily-news...are-about-get-commissary-exchange-access.html

"Starting Jan. 1, Purple Heart recipients, former prisoners of war and all service-connected disabled veterans, regardless of rating, as well as caregivers enrolled in the VA's Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers program, will be able to shop at Defense Commissary Agency stores and military exchanges."

I am truly curious as to how non-retirees are going to access the installation to shop at the commissary and/or BX (PX for my Army brethren, NEX for the Navy).

I thought AAFES (or whatever that organization calls itself these days) opened up its online shopping only to veterans, not their actual brick and mortar stores. Again, I don't believe a VA ID card is enough to get on a military base, as it wasn't issued by the DoD.

It's ironic that the Federal government/DoD will open its doors to vets when it's profitable to them, but on the other hand is quick to remove/reduce any benefits that have been earned.
    Target Sports

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I was in the Abilene Exchange yesterday, and they didn’t have any firearms related bargains. PMAG’s were $18, and 308 PMAG’s were $25.

About the only "deal" offered at the Exchange is price-matching. Use the GunDeals or similar apps to find the best price online and get the Exchange to match it tax-free!

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I am truly curious as to how non-retirees are going to access the installation to shop at the commissary and/or BX (PX for my Army brethren, NEX for the Navy).

I thought AAFES (or whatever that organization calls itself these days) opened up its online shopping only to veterans, not their actual brick and mortar stores. Again, I don't believe a VA ID card is enough to get on a military base, as it wasn't issued by the DoD.

It's ironic that the Federal government/DoD will open its doors to vets when it's profitable to them, but on the other hand is quick to remove/reduce any benefits that have been earned.

You're right, that is contrary to what you would expect, despite the article stating the following:

".... installations will accept the Veteran Health Identification card, or VHID, from disabled and other eligible veterans. For caregivers, the VA plans to issue a memo to eligible shoppers in the coming months, which will be used in conjunction with any picture identification that meets REAL ID Act security requirements, such as a compliant state driver's license or passport."

after Jan. 1, newly eligible patrons should go to the visitors' center at the base where they plan to do most of their shopping to register their credentials. Thereafter, they will be able to access the base in the same way as CAC and DoD ID card patrons.

Time will tell ... probably never take advantage of it myself, but hope it indeed pans out for some Vets close enough to a facility to benefit from it.

I'm just tickled to see worthy Veterans getting back something for what was taken out of them, but will never be fully restored.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    For many years I did not know about some of the discounts available. I got that base exchange thing but found the prices were no bargain. I bought a refrigerator at Lowe's and the lady asked if I was a vet and saved quite a bit (10%) and found that Lowes always gives the discount but Home Depot only gives it at certain times. Lowes has a signup for a MyLowes card and when you get it you scan it with checkout and always get a discount and family members can use it. Go to
    https://www.lowes.com/mylowes/register
    apply and get the card. Well worth it and if you pull out your credit card to pay you pull out your MyLowes card at the same time and save 10% pretax. Hope this helps. Home Depot doesn't see me very often.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    For many years I did not know about some of the discounts available. I got that base exchange thing but found the prices were no bargain. I bought a refrigerator at Lowe's and the lady asked if I was a vet and saved quite a bit (10%) and found that Lowes always gives the discount but Home Depot only gives it at certain times. Lowes has a signup for a MyLowes card and when you get it you scan it with checkout and always get a discount and family members can use it. Go to
    https://www.lowes.com/mylowes/register
    apply and get the card. Well worth it and if you pull out your credit card to pay you pull out your MyLowes card at the same time and save 10% pretax. Hope this helps. Home Depot doesn't see me very often.
    And (after you're signed up - bring the DD214) without a MyLowes card, you just say you're a vet & quote your on-record phone number to the sales clerk -> the 10% off.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    And (after you're signed up - bring the DD214) without a MyLowes card, you just say you're a vet & quote your on-record phone number to the sales clerk -> the 10% off.
    I don't ever have to show my DD214 now that I have MyLowes card but I have a scanned copy on my phone. I do mostly self checkout at Lowes and scan my card and then each item and then pay. Rarely use a sales clerk. If it works your way fine. Lowes is great about discounts, Home Depot not so much.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I don't ever have to show my DD214 now that I have MyLowes card but I have a scanned copy on my phone. I do mostly self checkout at Lowes and scan my card and then each item and then pay. Rarely use a sales clerk. If it works your way fine. Lowes is great about discounts, Home Depot not so much.

That's a good bit of info. I signed up for Lowes and only give my phone number now also. I personally don't care for self check out, but not getting a discount is just one more reason to avoid it. Apparently the mylowes card is the way to get the discount with self checkout.

So is the mylowes card a credit card type thing, or just a rewards card thing? If it's a rewards card thing, I wonder why it can't just be tied to a phone number. Or for all I know, self check out lets you enter a phone number for the discount.

Anyone have more details on this?

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    That's a good bit of info. I signed up for Lowes and only give my phone number now also. I personally don't care for self check out, but not getting a discount is just one more reason to avoid it. Apparently the mylowes card is the way to get the discount with self checkout.

So is the mylowes card a credit card type thing, or just a rewards card thing? If it's a rewards card thing, I wonder why it can't just be tied to a phone number. Or for all I know, self check out lets you enter a phone number for the discount.

It's just a reward card thing. I think it's easier that using your phone number. Plus the self checkout business.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    It's just a reward card thing. I think it's easier that using your phone number. Plus the self checkout business.

How is having to carry an additional card easier than remembering my own phone number?

Pack light, freeze at night.... I don't like to carry extra stuff if I don't have to. Does self check out give you the option to enter a phone number for rewards?

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    On another note, I stopped by Applebees today for the free meal they offer. Seems like lots of places doing it these days. Applebees is the only one I've seen that has a missing man table right as you walk into the dining room.

That tells me they get it, and it's not just some PC stunt.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    How is having to carry an additional card easier than remembering my own phone number?

Pack light, freeze at night.... I don't like to carry extra stuff if I don't have to. Does self check out give you the option to enter a phone number for rewards?
    I just use the keychain thing. That's the only way to get a discount at self checkout.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County

Home depot will give a 10% discount if you tell them you are a vet and can prove it. Even on the self checkout. Clerk will check ID and you get 10%. No problem.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas

It is a plastic card, credit card size with a barcode on it. You scan the card and 10% comes off the top. If you use the regular checkout they scan the card, 10% off the top and usually they say thank you for your service. My daughter has used the card too. Someone said Home Depot gives a discount but my understanding is that they only do that at veterans day but I may be wrong.

Top Bottom