• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    This will be resolved. They will get the status back, and will back off politics.

The problem they cannot solved is consumers avoiding WDW. You can literally spend weeks in the area and never set foot on WDW property. Or some families only go one day. Let kids see Magic Kingdom because they are kids but no other properties visited.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I got to meet Walt Disney in his office when I was 8 years old, it was one of the most momentous times in my life. My last trip to Disney World was in 2003 and they had his office on display behind glass, it brought back emotional memories.

I also remember an episode of Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color in which Walt explained his dreams of Walt Disney World.

Now I've heard many things about Walt Disney's personal life, and I'm not sure what to believe, but I can't believe that what has been happening to his company and Disney World was ever his vision. Although I accompanied one of Walt's personal friends on my visit, he made me feel very welcome. I believe his goal was to make children smile and be happy, not to groom them for an ideology.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I am not so sure.

After listening to people more of ally educated than myself ( like Ben Shapiro) I’m going to believe then when they say that Disney will most likely sue on the grounds that the company is being discriminated against based on speech and the changes to their tax status will be thrown out as a 1A violation.

There are also apparently lots of issues regarding debt for services in those areas that would need to be worked out which could lead to tax payers footing the bill.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    After listening to people more of ally educated than myself ( like Ben Shapiro) I’m going to believe then when they say that Disney will most likely sue on the grounds that the company is being discriminated against based on speech and the changes to their tax status will be thrown out as a 1A violation.

There are also apparently lots of issues regarding debt for services in those areas that would need to be worked out which could lead to tax payers footing the bill.

I wouldn't be so sure they'll get that special tax status and self governance back. That was a special carve out that already made them unequal to other private entities. This move just aligns Disney with every other private enterprise in Florida. Public already provides services to the surrounding areas - not a big deal for the local fire, EMS, and police to respond to Disney. Nothing to stop Disney from maintaining their own EMS personnel and fire fighters, or having their own private security. They just don't get big tax breaks anymore.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

They can try, but I don't think they will win.

Read an article on the debt, the taxpayers will not end up footing the bill.

Fine acknowledges that the local entities where Reedy Creek lies will pick up the Reedy Creek's debt once the district is dissolved, but says those local governments can create Municipal Service Taxing Units (MSTU) that would also "pick up the revenue that would be going to pay for the debt." He insists that "There's no impact to taxpayers."

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Stock may be down but just look at the daily 'take' $, local should get some $ from property and sales tax. To pay all the infrastructure outside the disney property. Time for voters to stop all this tax giveaway the Pols. think up. Like a new stadium in Tn. Or Musk and others in Austin. Bribery to get business! Yup, market is seeing what low cost 'risk' does to the $.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States

Hopefully they go out of business

My father and I tried to calculate how much tax liability they escaped in Florida. It's really tough without all the numbers but it's pretty close to half a trillion dollars. They own about 56 square miles in East Florida. If you do the math on average appraisal for commercial property and then quantify that into the amount of commercially developed land they hold up there the numbers get really big.

Their yearly tax liability would be billions just in property taxes. Most jurisdictions will give exemptions (my father has overseen that at the county level before) but the outside of it is 10 years with special cases (like Dell technologies in Round Rock) being 20 or 25 years, but unlimited is unheard of and insane.

Top Bottom