• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I think it was a good question regardless of the weird tangent it spun off on. When we started looking online about getting our chl, that was something that was stated, that if you tell anyone (conversationally, not talking brandishing even) that you are carrying or if they could see the print of your gun that you could be thrown in jail and having your chl pulled. After being on this forum for the last couple months and reading up more on the laws, I realize that alot of what we originally read was b.s.. Still, there's alot of b.s. out there.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I think it was a good question regardless of the weird tangent it spun off on. When we started looking online about getting our chl, that was something that was stated, that if you tell anyone (conversationally, not talking brandishing even) that you are carrying or if they could see the print of your gun that you could be thrown in jail and having your chl pulled. After being on this forum for the last couple months and reading up more on the laws, I realize that alot of what we originally read was b.s.. Still, there's alot of b.s. out there.

It always amazes me when this subject comes up...the law, as well as the instructors I know, address the INTENTIONAL display of your weapon. Now this would not include a situation where you were using the weapon to defend yourself.
    And you can display a weapon to deter a threat. I.E. someone pulls a knife on you, you pull a gun to defend yourself and BG runs away, no shots fired. Perfectly legal (on your part)

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Well I've been under the assumption that brandishing was not allowed. I don't mean pulling your gun and not shooting because the BD gets scared and ends the threat. I'm talking about pulling up your shirt to show your gun because you think maybe the person in question is going to rob you or some such. If they have demonstrated an actual threat, ie pulled a gun or knife and are making advances, then you draw, and maybe that makes them stop and if it dose not, then you shoot. That to me is not brandishing.

1bran·dish Pronunciation\ˈbran-dish\ Function:transitive verb 1 : to shake or wave (as a weapon) menacingly 2 : to exhibit in an ostentatious or aggressive manner

Lifting your shirt to display would not be brandishing

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    It always amazes me when this subject comes up...the law, as well as the instructors I know, address the INTENTIONAL display of your weapon. Now this would not include a situation where you were using the weapon to defend yourself.
    And you can display a weapon to deter a threat. I.E. someone pulls a knife on you, you pull a gun to defend yourself and BG runs away, no shots fired. Perfectly legal (on your part)

Agreed. My point however was just when you're trying to research the subject as an ignorant (about guns and gun laws) person, there is a lot of bad information on the web and its difficult to decipher what's right and wrong. And prior to signing up here and talking with people who do carry and do know the laws, we had no one to ask specific questions. This site has definitely been a god-send, so while I'm at it, Thanks to all of you on TGT who have given your time and energy to give advice...It is appreceiated!!!

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Agreed. My point however was just when you're trying to research the subject as an ignorant (about guns and gun laws) person, there is a lot of bad information on the web and its difficult to decipher what's right and wrong. And prior to signing up here and talking with people who do carry and do know the laws, we had no one to ask specific questions. This site has definitely been a god-send, so while I'm at it, Thanks to all of you on TGT who have given your time and energy to give advice...It is appreceiated!!!

No problem...and wasnt trying to offend anyone, its just that this question is a regular one

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    There's a lot of bad information about a lot of things, if you look in the wrong places.

The nice thing about Texas laws; they're easily accessible and searchable.

The down side; they're more often ignored for "some guy" who posted on a forum and claims to know.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Friends don't ask. Family doesn't ask. Out of sight out of mind. I would imagine the thought has crossed their mind if they did see the grip poking out if I moved wrong, but eh. I've been hugging a lot of people lately, seeing friends and family and such. Sometimes their hand goes low and bangs the gun. I don't flinch. They can ask if they want. They can assume if they want. I don't really care much either way.

...wow, there's a lot I don't care about today <thinks about all my posts today> lol

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Friends don't ask. Family doesn't ask. Out of sight out of mind. I would imagine the thought has crossed their mind if they did see the grip poking out if I moved wrong, but eh. I've been hugging a lot of people lately, seeing friends and family and such. Sometimes their hand goes low and bangs the gun. I don't flinch. They can ask if they want. They can assume if they want. I don't really care much either way.

...wow, there's a lot I don't care about today <thinks about all my posts today> lol

You HUGGED someone?!!! While you carried a GUN!!!! How could you be so uncarring

I'm just giving you a hard time. I've got to many liberal friends.

I believe most people don't anticipate feeling/seeing a gun. Therefore, they never see what they aren't looking for.

Top Bottom