• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmsfmtex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Fischer
    I have tried to find the portion, in the CHL laws, where it says that a person may not divulge that he/she in carrying concealed. Can anyone direct me to the section that addresses this issue? I was just wondering that if a friend, who knows you carry, asks if you are carrying.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I have tried to find the portion, in the CHL laws, where it says that a person may not divulge that he/she in carrying concealed. Can anyone direct me to the section that addresses this issue? I was just wondering that if a friend, who knows you carry, asks if you are carrying.

Depends on the friend and the situation. Being friends is great, stepping on your friends is an invitation to ending the friendship. If I had a friend that did drugs, I'd limit my contact with them. I wouldn't be preachy, just aware of how it could affect my life, rights, and legal bill.

My generic answer would be, "Yes, I'm always packing ... my Love Gun".

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I'm not aware of any statute that limits your ability to tell a friend that you carry. I will be amazed of somebody can produce evidence of such a law. I view it as concealed carry, not secret carry.

Maybe you are thinking about using your concealed handgun as a threat to somebody? IE: 'hey, I've got a gun!', is that what you mean?

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I too am not aware of any statute that says you can't tell a friend you are carrying.

You are not permitted to brandish your gun as a deterrent to a threat, and that could probably apply to announcing to someone you felt threatened by, that you have a gun. But that is quite different from telling a friend you are packing.

Exile Machine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Dallas Texas
    I try to see how long I can go before someone I know discovers under their own power of observation that I'm carrying. So far no one has, and at some family gatherings I'll get hugs and I know they've pressed up against the gun and never said anything or reacted in any way. A few close family members know but no one else does. My best friend knows I'm a gun rights advocate and a CHL holder but it's never come up in conversation whether I'm carrying at any given moment.

Rocket_Cowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Plano, TX
    My experience has been that unless you know your friend is pro-2a and is also a fellow shooter, it's probably best to not even mention whether you are carrying or even have a license to carry concealed.

I've had non-carrying friends ask "hey, are y'all carrying" right before doing something dumb, as if that would imply that we have his back while he's being an idiot. If/when TSHTF, I'd rather those friends who didn't know I have the ability not blurt it out for all to hear that I might be.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I have tried to find the portion, in the CHL laws, where it says that a person may not divulge that he/she in carrying concealed. Can anyone direct me to the section that addresses this issue? .

There is no such law. There have been a few people misinterpret the law that makes it an offense if you "intentionally fail to conceal" your handgun, to mean that you cannot even tell anyone. That belief is not based in fact.

;)

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Of course you can.

Well I've been under the assumption that brandishing was not allowed. I don't mean pulling your gun and not shooting because the BD gets scared and ends the threat. I'm talking about pulling up your shirt to show your gun because you think maybe the person in question is going to rob you or some such. If they have demonstrated an actual threat, ie pulled a gun or knife and are making advances, then you draw, and maybe that makes them stop and if it dose not, then you shoot. That to me is not brandishing.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Of course you can.

Well I've been under the assumption that brandishing was not allowed. I don't mean pulling your gun and not shooting because the BD gets scared and ends the threat. I'm talking about pulling up your shirt to show your gun because you think maybe the person in question is going to rob you or some such. If they have demonstrated an actual threat, ie pulled a gun or knife and are making advances, then you draw, and maybe that makes them stop and if it dose not, then you shoot. That to me is not brandishing.

Oh my god!!! What is this, round 8 on this one?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Texas has no law against brandishing.

I can think of several scenarios where displaying your weapon would be appropriate and legal, even if you were not yet then justified in using deadly force.

See penal code section 9.04 for the legal justification.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I believe he was refering to the "drug" reference.....has me confused as well.

I'm sure we all have friends that do things we don't. I'm not a gay, pot smoking, steroid taking, wife cheating, gambling, democrat. So long as they don't bring these things up or make them the focus of some insane conversation, my policy is don't ask, don't tell.

And yes, I'm ashamed to say I'm friends with a democrat.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I'm sure we all have friends that do things we don't. I'm not a gay, pot smoking, steroid taking, wife cheating, gambling, democrat. So long as they don't bring these things up or make them the focus of some insane conversation, my policy is don't ask, don't tell.

And yes, I'm ashamed to say I'm friends with a democrat.

That's just it, nobody brought it up but you....:confused:

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas

As said, there is no such "portion in the CHL laws...".

And if a friend knows you carry, why would they ask? And why would they know? Either you've set yourself up with flappy lips, or there's, "...more to the story...".

jmsfmtex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Fischer
    From the responses then I guess there is no statue in the CHL laws that prevent me from telling a friend, if asked, that I am armed. Thank you for all your responses.

Top Bottom