• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheCollector

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    Cleveland Texas
    This is how I make my practice targets.

I like to think I'm relatively creative; however, my wife says I'm just cheap.
    Some years ago I purchased a 900ft roll of 18" butcher paper, originally for the grand-kids to "do art" on.
    * First I build a "frame" out of scrap wood that's 18" wide and 36" tall . . . not including the spikes at the bottom to stick them in the ground.
    * I then staple a 18x36 sheet of cardboard to the frame (Actually I just staple it on and trim it to fit.) I never discard a good piece of cardboard.
    * The 1st photo shows the back of a target. You can see the frame and the cardboard that has been use many times.
    * To make a new target, I just rip off a length of butcher paper and staple it over the cardboard (and usually the old paper target. The paper is thin enough that you can pretty well see the outline of the old target and can trace the new on over that with a marker.
    * To draw new targets, I used a scrap of thin paneling and drew the desired silhouette with a marker. I then cut it out with my sabre saw. Next I drew the approximate 8 ring area, which I cut out with the sabre saw and at the center I drew and cut out a 3in "aim point."
    * To draw the target you just lay the silhouette on the paper and trace around the outline and the inside of the 8 ring area, then lay the cut-out inside the 8 ring and draw the aim point. I just freehand the aim point in the head area.

The following photos show the back of a well used frame and cardboard, the front that I made up for a friend, the template, and the paper dispenser that I put together.

* If I ever shoot up this roll of paper, I'll probably start over with a 24" toll. (Your choice.)

I'll be happy to answer any questions if this is not clear.
    Hope this is helpful.
    Military Camp

Attachments

• Target Back.jpg
      Target Back.jpg
      41.6 KB · Views: 551
    • Target Front.jpg
      Target Front.jpg
      26.6 KB · Views: 585
    • Target Paper End.jpg
      Target Paper End.jpg
      41.6 KB · Views: 648
    • Target Template.jpg
      Target Template.jpg
      43.2 KB · Views: 671

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    A friend thought about a projected image on a roll of paper.
    Hit a button and a motor feeds the paper for a clean sheet.

And the projected image could be anything from a bullseye target to zombies walking toward you

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    I've used a lot of wood pallets. I'll knock a couple slats out and nail them to the edge like feet to make the pallet stand up on edge. Then you can staple what ever targets you want on them.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    A friend thought about a projected image on a roll of paper.
    Hit a button and a motor feeds the paper for a clean sheet.

And the projected image could be anything from a bullseye target to zombies walking toward you
    Careful, someone might steal this great idea!

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    Leave off the aim point to make it more realistic. Most bad guys don't skulk around with an aim point on their chest. Just sayin.

EXACTLY!

I use some plywood cut outs about any t shirt will slip over for SD training. On the back side is a shelf for what ever water or soda bottles I've got. I fill them with water and when training it's not shoot a little tiny group. It's shoot until you drop them (the bottles). Bad guys don't fall over like a bowling pin first time they are hit. Many times you have to shoot them over and over and they don't light up where you hit them like spot target. You don't know for sure WHERE you are hitting them and you don't know for SURE they are hit good until they are no longer a threat, they stop shooting at you.

Yard sale shirts are cheap or free, water bottles are free. Then they make great camp fire starters after they are shot up.

Downhill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2017
    Baird Texas
    I like the butcher paper idea. Here is another inexpensive idea. Take 2" wide blue painters tape, cut 2" long sections and stick to paper in a diamond configuration ( corners vertical and horizontal). The blue diamonds are perfect aiming points for the cross hairs in a scope. I apply several for load development. Can be easily seen at 200yds.

Top Bottom