• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    I've been on and off about getting a apartment. The main two factors for me are, can I afford it, and will I like it? But I do wonder, in Austin Texas area, is it common for apartments to allow guns? A side question, are any utilities included in the monthly rent?

Thanks,
    Higgins909
    Capitol Armory ad

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I’m in NW Austin and the complexes have 3007 signs posted at the entrances. Leases state that you can not OC and you can CC or carry cased items to and from your home and car. No carry in office although not posted, gym... other common areas. Not difficult to stay legal by any means yet still be able to protect yourself.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    8’ bench, RCBS Rock Chucker, Dillon 650 and a safe in mine. They didn’t care as long as I paid my note.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Penal code section 46.02 will guide you in regards to premises under your control. Your apartment is exempt from the law making the carry of handguns generally unlawful. To and from your car is also OK. There is no law making the carry of long guns unlawful.
    If you have an LTC, then you can carry outside of your apartment in other areas. Common areas are not covered by 46.02. Those areas are Ok under the LTC laws. The management can prohibit open or concealed carry in common areas by posting the requisite signs or giving you verbal or written notice.

Civil law is different. They can prohibit the possession of firearms via lease. However, violating that is only civil and can result in an eviction, but not criminal charges.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    can I afford it, and will I like it?
    The average 1 bedroom will probably run you about 850 to 900 on a lease in a decent neighborhood. That's to start with. At the end of the lease they can, and usually do raise the rent. If you don't mind your neighbors stomping, banging, slamming, and yelling, and you don't mind parking lot dings and dents on your vehicle, you might like it. :)

Just wondering what you are living in now?

pbridges

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2017
    Dallas
    Civil law is different. They can prohibit the possession of firearms via lease. However, violating that is only civil and can result in an eviction, but not criminal charges.

Civil “law”(not a law) is “civil contractual”, but it’s not law. It’s just a contract between two parties. And can not circumvent statutes etc. i.e. nothing can be upheld that contracts you to go against a regulation, statute, etc.
    And they can not evict you based on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I have seen apartment complexes with no signs, and with 30.07 signs. When they put up 30.06 and 30.07 signs at my complex, I bitched at them, upon which they took down the 30.06 signs.

What you do in your own home, even if it's rented, is nobody's business.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It varies. Sometimes water is included in the rent, but never electricity. And of course, cable TV, telephone, and internet are at your expense.
    For apartments, I've found that to be universally true.

Condos, OTOH, can be very different. Some condo HOAs have a monthly fee that includes trash, water, internet, cable TV, electricity, gas, common area insurance, security, and more. If the OP is considering an apartment, he might be better served by buying or renting an older condo conversion where the whole-building commercial supply of utilities was grandfathered in and individual units will never be metered for anything.

The only downside to those situations is that I've seen HOA fees as high as USD$0.85/sq. ft. per month. That means if he rents one, there's a good chance the rent will be a notch above market rates.

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    I think I'd carefully read the lease. If you see something you don't like, go elsewhere. If I cannot avoid such proscriptions in the lease, I'd do what I could to not bring up the subject of firearms.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    isn't 900 a little high for texas? or is that typical austin pricing?

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Maybe high on the Fort Worth side, but try and get a decent apartment in a halfway decent neighborhood on the Dallas side for less than that.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Maybe high on the Fort Worth side, but try and get a decent apartment in a halfway decent neighborhood on the Dallas side for less than that.
    i can imagine.

then again in from san diego. so yeah that's not high at all lol

Sent from my SIG Sauer

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Civil “law”(not a law) is “civil contractual”, but it’s not law. It’s just a contract between two parties. And can not circumvent statutes etc. i.e. nothing can be upheld that contracts you to go against a regulation, statute, etc.
    And they can not evict you based on that.

Of course they can evict you if you violate the lease.

And not law? What do you call the "laws" in the Texas Property Code? That code does not prevent landlords, as far as I have ever read, from prohibiting firearms.

It is not against the law to have a dog in your apartment, but your landlord can evict you if you have one in violation of your lease.

Last edited:

pbridges

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2017
    Dallas
    Of course they can evict you if you violate the lease.

And not law? What do you call the "laws" in the Texas Property Code? That code does not prevent landlords, as far as I have ever read, from prohibiting firearms.

It is not against the law to have a dog in your apartment, but your landlord can evict you if you have one in violation of your lease.

I think you need to do better research.
    Once you rent a property it is considered to be yours/home/residence, this includes hotels.
    And no they cannot Evict you based on that.
    And Dogs are not protected by state.
    A lease cannot change the direction of a state law or regulation, that’s why some leases can be taking to court and considered judged invalid because not in accordance with state regulations.

Example when you speed over the speed limit you have not broken the law you have breached a contractual agreement with Texas Department of transportation and you have a set agreed-upon penalty.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom