• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I think the answer is "I'm about to" but I know better than to trust my instincts.

2002 Mercury Gran Marquis, 121k miles, last routine trans service @ 50k or 60k. No history of trans problems.

Trans fluid smells fine; I know what burnt fluid smells like. Level is fine.

Potential problem - Over the last week, the upshifts have changed. Upshifts with this car have always been a tad firmer than you would expect. Now, they're suddenly butter-smooth. Shift points remain the same. Under gentle acceleration , the 1-2 is at ~25 mph, the 2-3 at just under 40. Revs don't go past 2000. Under moderately spirited acceleration, the speeds remain the same but the revs go up to ~2500. I have to concentrate to feel them, they're so smooth.

Under full throttle from a standing start, the upshifts don't happen. The trans stays in first, the revs go past 4000 and I lift off, panicked because I think I've broken something.

I've observed this phenomenon exactly once. Since it happened, I've been driving it like a little old lady, babying it as much as I can.

I really need this car functional since I will have to use it to transport my sister home from the hospital, maybe as soon as tomorrow. Her back injuries are so severe that making the trip in my truck would be far too painful and (realistically, seriously) would threaten to fracture more vertebrae. A breakdown of this car with her in it would be even worse; the last tow truck I rode in would have definitely broken bones for my sister.

I mostly trust my mechanic shop but there have been changes recently and that trust has eroded. I figured I'd first ask people I trust who don't have a financial interest in the answers.

So, anybody seen this sort of behavior before? Any ideas what's happening?
    <>

? Rent a Yukon or Tahoe for the trip ?

If I were nearby, I’d offer to help.

Calling all folks in Ben’s neighborhood; Who could help him out ?

<>

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    I'll check. I mean that.

I've had enough problems in the IT world that had insanely weird solutions to "that's not possible" problems. I know to check the most basic things so I'll wedge myself under there and make sure the pedal has full travel.

Yeah, it was a funny quip but it points to the need to cover all the bases. I appreciate the best practices reminder.
    Hey Ben,

There is an electronic gizmo/gadget that took the place of the VACUUM MODULATOR....in the Ford Auto trans....

Some years? This gizmo is above the valve body.......

It will give the strange shifting act....

There is a Ford Guy on youtube that has several vids on this.... (Makallooko? )...He is sharp on Fords...

Hope this helps...

(wish my tech skills wuz better)

Later, Mark

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    I don't recommend flushing it. Older trans are comfortable and all that gunk gets disturbed from the corners and clogs up the tiny passages. Fluid and filter change *should* be fine. No putting in a B & M shift kit, either.

It could also be computer/sensor related. Sending good vibes your way, buddy.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I don't recommend flushing it. Older trans are comfortable and all that gunk gets disturbed from the corners and clogs up the tiny passages. Fluid and filter change *should* be fine. No putting in a B & M shift kit, either.

It could also be computer/sensor related. Sending good vibes your way, buddy.

NEVER FLUSH A TRANSMISSION! You'll have nothing but trouble afterward. Have the pan dropped and drained, replace the filters, then refill with fresh ATF. This is the way...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sephiroth0085
    Top Bottom