DK Firearms

Do I Have Enough Gun and Did I Bring Enough Bullets (Ammo)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jungle Work

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do I Have Enough Gun and Did I bering Enough Bullets????
    http://www.policeone.com/patrol-issu...mo-on-the-job/

"Why one Police Officer now carries 145 rounds when on the Job."

a personal note:
    My son in law who is a police officer killed a perp with a Glock 21 with four rounds of hydroshock.
    When ask by the Grand Jury which round killed the perp, the GJ wanted to know which round killed the perp, A,B,C, or D. The Doc replied E, any of the four rounds would have killed him, plus after my S-I-L lit him up, a SWAT Officer shot him through the temple with a M16 as he was still standing. The Perp was just DRT and didn't know it.

Which is why I count on one shot stop with only 105mm or larger. I seen too many of Uncle Ho's Finest take multiple hits with 7.62X51 and keep on truckin' and I've seen one of Uncle Ho's Sappers take a round of .50 to the chest, run about 75 yards and throw a satchel charge into a TOC. As I say, I just don't trust anything less than a 105mm for one shot stops.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It really sucks to run out of Ammo when you're in a gun battle. I once saw the aftermath of a FireFight involving a leg transportation unit, who had many of their people run out of ammo in one of Mr. Charles' Bushwacks. And I had some folks laugh because I carried beau coup ammo, a bunch of frags, a couple of claymores, 56 rounds of 9mm, 20 to 40 rounds of HE for my cut down M79 and plenty of smoke. First comes ammo, then comes water, then food. As is said by those who gone before, "Remember, Don't Leave Nothin'."

In the almost 34 years I spent in LE and Police Work I always carried lot of guns and lots of ammo. It took the worry out of being close.

Jungle Work

From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

Graduate: University of South Vietnam, School of Jungle Warfare

Jungle Work

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Texasjack,
    In the two years I spent in ground combat in Vietnam, I carried a M16A1 or a CAR-15 depending on the AO we were working, a Walther P38, a cut down M79. I also carried six frags, two claymores (one had a WP grenade and a CS Grenade tapped to the front of it, I used it as "Break Contact Device), det cord, two two pound blocks of C4, three smoke grenades, a pen flare gun, plus Randal #1 and a Gerber MkII. I also carried other things, like ammo, water and a little food

We also carried a 7.62X51mm BAR that I traded some Navy Guys out of for a M2 .50 cal. We were able to ditch the M60 POS Pig we had been carrying. Intresting story how we got the Navy Folks to trade the BAR. Our Battalion Armorer was a Korean War Vet and carried a BAR in that war. He cut down the barrel, threaded the end of the barrel and mounted a M14 rear sight and flash hider on the end of it. Worked great and all it cost me was a M2 .50cal we captured from the VC/NVA and fifth of good whiskey for the gunsmithing.....

As for 9mm ammo, I'd usually get some from the ARVNs or Col. John Vann.

Jungle Work

Last edited:

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    ................................:abduction:..........................

Last edited:

Wryknow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    Austin
    That's just silly.............

Do I Have Enough Gun and Did I bering Enough Bullets????
    http://www.policeone.com/patrol-issu...mo-on-the-job/

"Why one Police Officer now carries 145 rounds when on the Job."

a personal note:
    My son in law who is a police officer killed a perp with a Glock 21 with four rounds of hydroshock.
    When ask by the Grand Jury which round killed the perp, the GJ wanted to know which round killed the perp, A,B,C, or D. The Doc replied E, any of the four rounds would have killed him, plus after my S-I-L lit him up, a SWAT Officer shot him through the temple with a M16 as he was still standing. The Perp was just DRT and didn't know it.

Which is why I count on one shot stop with only 105mm or larger. I seen too many of Uncle Ho's Finest take multiple hits with 7.62X51 and keep on truckin' and I've seen one of Uncle Ho's Sappers take a round of .50 to the chest, run about 75 yards and throw a satchel charge into a TOC. As I say, I just don't trust anything less than a 105mm for one shot stops.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It really sucks to run out of Ammo when you're in a gun battle. I once saw the aftermath of a FireFight involving a leg transportation unit, who had many of their people run out of ammo in one of Mr. Charles' Bushwacks. And I had some folks laugh because I carried beau coup ammo, a bunch of frags, a couple of claymores, 56 rounds of 9mm, 20 to 40 rounds of HE for my cut down M79 and plenty of smoke. First comes ammo, then comes water, then food. As is said by those who gone before, "Remember, Don't Leave Nothin'."

In the almost 34 years I spent in LE and Police Work I always carried lot of guns and lots of ammo. It took the worry out of being close.

Jungle Work
    From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

Graduate: University of South Vietnam, School of Jungle Warfare

... I would also have faith in a one shot stop by a 40mm grenade. :usflag:

Jungle Work

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Okie,
    Many times the range of a contact was less than 50 yards in the jungle. Sometimes it was toes to toes an nose to nose. A 40mm grenade does no arm until it travels approx. 12 meters. There was not a lot of need for a Grenade Launcher that had a range of 375 meter in the AOs I worked. And I carried it on a D Ring o the suspenders of my LBE.

The barrel was cut off in front of the forearm and the stock was cut off for a pistol grip. It worked well for what I did with it.

Wryknow,
    Have you ever seen an ARVN Troop walk into Battalion Hospital with an unexploded 40mm Grenade lodged in his chest. I have.
    Now you know why the Buckshot and Fleshette Rounds were developed. If you're like me, you lean something every day.

Jungle Work

Last edited:

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    OP how many mags did you carry? Friend who served in Iraq carried 14 30 round mags and they kept an entire ruck filled w loaded mags on the truck.

Not the OP on this thread but that's one of the things totally different between Nam and Iraq. No trucks out in the jungle. 20 round mags and as many as I could carry then some water and c-rations.....LWRP rations is lucky.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Curious about the BAR in 7.62x51. The only reference to one is a variant made by FN which was a licensed copy of the Colt Automatic Machine Rifle. It was called the DA1.

I can find no historical reference to the DA1 being used by our military.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Funny how the 7.62x51mm M80 ball tends to create a through and through where the 5.56mm M193 ball of Vietnam era would yaw and fragment and cause far more effective wounds than that vaunted 7.62x51. Caliber isn't everything.

Anybody who thinks different needs education.

Just sayin'...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom