Do we have any currency collectors on TGT?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    A little back story, I found these notes as a kid in 1974/1975, I thought they were unusual and have kept them all these years. As you can see they have ink smears on Washington's face as well as being STAR notes. I assume, when you place one bill above the other the ink smear would have been a continuous blob. The other bills in the strap at the time did not have any smears. I have not really found any help online with these errors and values. Any thoughts, information would be appreciated.

Attachments

• ink smear dollar note 1A.jpg
      ink smear dollar note 1A.jpg
      88.6 KB · Views: 168
    • ink smear dollar note 2A.jpg
      ink smear dollar note 2A.jpg
      89.5 KB · Views: 152

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    It is a printing error, those are from 1974, I do not know if they even had dye packs back then. I was 6 or 7 YO when I found them!!

I have been slowly trying to find info on them, thru some currency collector forums, the best lead I think I have found is to send pictures to an auction appraiser for a free appraisal.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Some others, quite a few not being shown here also.

Attachments

• 1$H03389404A.jpg
      1$H03389404A.jpg
      57.7 KB · Views: 76
    • 1$V64488992D.jpg
      1$V64488992D.jpg
      55.6 KB · Views: 76
    • 5$starnote12341984A.jpg
      5$starnote12341984A.jpg
      60.2 KB · Views: 99
    • 50$Starnote.jpg
      50$Starnote.jpg
      58.4 KB · Views: 78
    • 5$P88169477A.jpg
      5$P88169477A.jpg
      58.8 KB · Views: 71

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I suspect they were printing errors, and some made it out of the printing office before they were destroyed. There is a possibility there were more, but they were disposed or, or destroyed before leaving the building.

Such anomalies can make some coins and currency, more valuable in some cases.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I suspect they were printing errors, and some made it out of the printing office before they were destroyed. There is a possibility there were more, but they were disposed or, or destroyed before leaving the building.

Such anomalies can make some coins and currency, more valuable in some cases.
    You dont say?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I have not really found any help online with these errors and values.
    My sister has never been into collecting error bills. However, she's a big collector of error coins. She's also a past president of the Greater Houston Coin Club and holds one of the first 27 Advanced Coin Grader certifications ever granted by the American Numismatic Association. That means that, over the years, she's been around this sort of thing and picked up a bit of knowledge.

According to her, error bills are rarer than error coins and there are fewer collectors. That makes it much tougher to come up with a value. It also means the value could be much higher than one would expect.

If she had those bills, she'd be on the phone to the ANA trying to get hooked up with folks who are notable collectors of error bills. There's even a chance the ANA might want them for their reference collection.

Bottom line? They're worth a bit of work to figure out what you actually have, both in terms of value and rarity.

ETA - Have you been here yet? That would seem like a no-brainer first step to me.

Last edited:

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Thanks benenglish, I will check into that! So far I have sent some photos to heritage auctions, still awaiting a response. Maybe the best $2 I have ever saved!! LOL!

Top Bottom