Venture Surplus ad

Do you carry an extra mag when you conceal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    Whether I'm carrying the NAA Mini (5 rds .22mag), P32 (7+1 rds .32acp) or the P2000SK (10+1 rds 9x19) I don't carry any extra ammo (for the Mini) or mags. I figure the chances of me being a regular joe that doesn't go out looking for a fight (which I'd take a rifle to, not a sidearm anyways) isn't gonna need the gun in the first place and the chances of needing a reload or another mag are even slimmer.
    Military Camp

MuddyWaterMan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    Agreed on the fact that you will more than likely never need the extra mag, but on the other hand you will more than likely never need the pistol either (at least I hope no one here ever does). It comes back down to I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Now granted the NAA Mini is a little pointless to carry extra ( although I did toy with the idea of carrying an extra cylinder with a piece of scotch tape over the end to hold rounds in place for a quick reload) but if you are already going through the inconvenience of carrying, how much more of a PITA is it to throw an extra mag or a speed loader or two in the mix? Just my humble opinion.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    I only carry an extra mag when I travel out of town for my Glock27. If I am carrying my 1911 local I will sometimes carry an extra mag.

KellyAsh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Roatan, Honduras

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I carry 2 spare mags in an XD mag holster under an unbuttoned button down shirt. Im one of those who believe you cant have too much ammo, esp after reading about a cop that shot a suspect 22 times with a .40, with many hits center mass, and the guy still took minutes to die.

Heres the link to the story:

[URL="http://www.lawofficer.com/news-and-articles/articles/lom/0412/the_peter_soulis_incident.html"][url]http://www.lawofficer.com/news-and-articles/articles/lom/0412/the_peter_soulis_incident.html[/URL][/URL]

Wow..........maybe I need to carry more than a extra mage for my G27. Hadn't heard that story. Thanks for the link.

Okie556

KellyAsh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Roatan, Honduras
    Yeah, pretty scary. I also read another story about a cop that was being beaten by a suspect and shot the guy in the chest at bad breath range and the round bounced off the guys ribs. It makes me glad I carry a .45.

Heres the link:

[url]http://www.theshootist.net/2009/01/one-man-got-involved-perry_12.html[/URL]

Note: The story is about a civilian saving a cops life (Kudos to him and Id like to shake his hand) but its the .40 cals performance that is most interesting to me.

KellyAsh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Roatan, Honduras
    Yay! more .45 acp death ray stories!!!!

Someone has a death ray?!?!?!?! I gotta hear about this! :)

Seriously though, you wont hear any death ray stories from me. In this same story the guy that helped the cop had a .45 ACP and had to shoot the BG 3 or 4 times then once more point blank in the head. Im sure someone could find a story wherein a .45 didnt stop the attacker at all as well.

My bias towards the .45 vs the .40 is in the weight and starting diameter of the rounds. Correct me if Im wrong here but the max weight you can get in .40 is around 180 grains and for the .45 the max weight is 230 grains. Thats roughly 30% (very roughly) more weight and about 12% more starting diameter, in case the hollow point doesnt expand.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Trust me, I would have no problem with carrying, a 9mm luger, .40 or 45.

I just think that storry would probably have worked out very similar if the cop had a .45 vs a 40.

The storry was an intersting read, thanks for posting. It sounded like it was written by a fiction author (I'm not saying it wasn't real, just that it was entertaining, with lots of emotional stuff.)

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If carrying a semi auto, I would carry at least one extra mag. The entire function of a semi auto is entirely dependent on the magazine functioning properly. There are all sorts of issues that can happen with magazines, such as the feed lips deforming/spreading/cracking, mag spring worn out, follower jamming up or tilting, etc. If the mag malfunctions, you may get only one shot and then you have a paper weight. I'm not going to say want, I'll say you NEED at least one extra mag IMO, because you just never know. Murphy's law. ;)

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    No. If the 8 in the gun don't put down the BG chances are by then I'll be so mad that I'll pistol whip the offender under he gives in. I'm not rich! I can't be spending oodles of money shooting bullets on a stubborn BG!

heh Really though, not unless I'm on the road do I take extra mags. One reason is its difficult to reach around to the other side of my body to grab anything. You should see me answer my phone. I'm considering it but 'til now, no.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    No. If the 8 in the gun don't put down the BG chances are by then I'll be so mad that I'll pistol whip the offender under he gives in. I'm not rich! I can't be spending oodles of money shooting bullets on a stubborn BG!

heh Really though, not unless I'm on the road do I take extra mags. One reason is its difficult to reach around to the other side of my body to grab anything. You should see me answer my phone. I'm considering it but 'til now, no.

It is not so much that the 8 in your gun won't do the job, but that one of the major reasons for stoppages/malfunctions is a bad magazine. Having a spare allows you to "fix" it on the fly.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    It is not so much that the 8 in your gun won't do the job, but that one of the major reasons for stoppages/malfunctions is a bad magazine. Having a spare allows you to "fix" it on the fly.

Yes. My post was in jest. Mag changes on the fly...wait scratch that, living with one hand isn't necessarily easy.

Top Bottom