• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Thread is back.
    29 pages pared down to 2.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Thread is back.
    29 pages pared down to 2.

JUST LIKE THAT BACK ON TRACK!

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    I have multiple certifications and carry a medkit with plenty of tools but the most important one is the tourniquet.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I've got a CAT gen 7 in the glove box of the car, a first aid kit in the back cargo area, fire extinguishers in the door.

At work, when working armed, I have a small trauma kit on my duty belt. It has 2X Gen 7 CAT's, a couple of chest seals, gauze, tape, a couple boo-boo items, 3X pairs of gloves, and a sharpie. My primary role in that job is to get in the way of a would-be school shooter, so I want the med kit - either in case I get shot, or more, in case someone else gets shot that shouldn't be getting shot.

All the TQ's are staged and can be applied one handed.

I've been carrying a gun - mostly in a personal capacity, but also occasionally in a professional capacity, since I turned 21. That'll be 21 years come September. In all that time, I've had so few instances of needing to point a gun at someone, I could count on one hand, and I've never had to pull the trigger on them. Never been shot at either.

What I HAVE needed, more than once, is first aid gear. I've been the first person to stop or respond to a number of medical emergencies and car crashes. I've also been the first person to stop for a number of vehicle fires, and I've had a kitchen fire once that required a fire extinguisher to put out.

Guns and knives are cool. They're fun. They are sexy. But the reality is outside of range toys - most of us will never actually need the gun for saving our lives - but most of us have probably been in a wreck, or come up on one, or will. Or they'll be experiencing a medical emergency, or come upon one. Having some kit that can help save a life is more helpful in most cases than having a bunch of guns and ammo. Ideally, you'll have both / all.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Do you guys have any recos for a good med kit to purchase?

No, but I assembled a kit for work that would work as a small vehicle or EDC kit, if you carry a bag around with you. I grabbed a MOLLE compatable pouch from Amazon that was small enough to throw on my batbelt, while large enough to hold some items without damaging them (chest seals)

I have 2X chest seals, compression bandages, 2X packets of powdered clotting agent, a roll of gauze, a roll of med tape, a 2nd TQ, trauma shears, and some boo-boo items (bandaids, alcohol wipes, etc) stuffed in there with 4 pairs of rolled up XL size nitrile gloves. I also carry a TQ on my belt while working, and I keep a TQ in the center console of my car when out and about.

I'm no paramedic or EMT but this stuff is pretty straight forward.

5.11 partnered up with USCCA and was doing some free very basic intro courses that covered stop the bleed / violent trauma care, and they sell all this type of stuff in store, with a pouch appropriately sized for it too.

Attachments

• IMG_2112.jpeg
      IMG_2112.jpeg
      477.4 KB · Views: 36

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Oh, and I'm signed up for a Stop the Bleed course through my work at the hospital, and will be taking the Red Cross First Aid for Severe Trauma (FAST) courses soon as well. My kit will probably change a bit after those courses, if I have to add anything to it.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    <>

The most usual condition for which on-scene first-aid is likely to effective and result in a life saved by anything less than an EMT Ambulance is a respiratory arrest.

Recall your “ABC’s”; the first two are AIRWAY & BREATHING.

Aside from incidents on an actual battlefield, control of massive bleeding is relatively rare.

And, out-of-hospital cardiac arrest salvage rates are less than 10% if not defibrillated in less than 5’’; regardless of the training, experience, & equipment of “first responders”.

So, the odds strongly favor training & equipment to treat a respiratory arrest. Basic needs for those are NARCAN (intranasal), an airway device, & a means of ventillation.

Good Luck !

<>

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    <>

So, the odds strongly favor training & equipment to treat a respiratory arrest. Basic needs for those are NARCAN (intranasal), an airway device, & a means of ventillation.

Good Luck !

<>

I don't recall hearing of that before. Here's more info:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't recall hearing of that before. Here's more info:

<>

”Narcan” has recently been moved from a controlled substance to an “OTC” item (the intranasal form). It can be purchased from a Pharmacist in several states, w/o prescription.

Ask your local druggist. “Narcan” is an opiate antagonist and also has some effectiveness against Fentanyl overdoses.

See (More recent): https://www.samhsa.gov/medications-...s-counseling-related-conditions/naloxone/faqs

<>

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    <>

While we are on this topic. let me add a little lesson: I was an Emergency Doc for several years in the late 1960’s & early 1970’s when modern ambulance “EMS” systems were new & developing. When I or a colleague was on-scene of a serious incident, we almost always had to take-over.

But, today, and since around 1990, the EMP/Paramedic Crews are so much better trained and experienced for most common emergencies, that it is best for Physicians to not interfere with their out-of-hospital services.

They “know their stuff” and KNOW the “systems” they work in much better than a passing MD, and I just usually, ask if they need any thing, if they need a drug order. It’s been years since I actually had to order anything.

So, kudos to those “First Responders” & their “trainers”. We all are much more safe this way.

<>

Top Bottom