Patriot Mobile

Do you encourage young people to go into the military?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I havent been out for all that long and my 8 years in the Army Reserves was really good. Got to travel a lot, go to several leadership schools and i had a great MOS. Most of all i never had to go overseas. I have several degrees using the GI Bill and just bought a house with a VA loan.

But looking at the military now, especially under this administration, the radical gay agenda, the Afghanistan war having no end in sight, lack of leadership and lack of respect for veterans and finally the latest is the congress wanting to reduce retired veterans benefits (including disabled vets)...i cant encourage young people to now serve in the military but dont fault and do respect those who do choose to serve.
    Target Sports

Last edited:

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I still do, but make sure that they understand all the conditions that I can while doing it. Got one in particular that I and a few other vets talked to at length a number of years back, really wish he had gone in to the service, probably would not be in the big house now........:(

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Three times in the past twenty years I have recommended to single mothers, with young sons they simply could not handle, to get them in the military as soon as possible. All three of these young men, by benefit of having been in the service, are now the kind of "citizen" this country needs, with an enhanced regard for themselves and their country.

Would it work today? I hope things have not changed that much, but perhaps they have.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    While i was in i found it to be a place where there was discipline to be had and learned if you wanted it and you could skate by like a dirtbag with multiple slaps on the hand if you wanted to be a dirtbag. Perhaps that was just in the Reserves. From what i have heard they are putting more people out, not by virtue but to save money.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    A good argument can be made that it would do this country a world of good to reinstate a draft with no deferments that could be subject to politics or to who you know. A "citizen" army in this country has historically had benefits for the generation that serves, the one after, and most of all, for the country.

China, in this recent incident with our Navy, just basically told Obama and Kerry to piss off. It may become necessary sooner than you think.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    A good argument can be made that it would do this country a world of good to reinstate a draft with no deferments that could be subject to politics or to who you know. A "citizen" army in this country has historically had benefits for the generation that serves, the one after, and most of all, for the country.

China, in this recent incident with our Navy, just basically told Obama and Kerry to piss off. It may become necessary sooner than you think.

Still waiting for the "good argument".

As to the OPs question: some of them. Really depends on the person.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Still waiting for the "good argument".

Yep, there are pros and cons. But consider that historically many, if not most, of this country's most effective and acknowledged "leaders", with an ability to unite the country when it was threatened from without or within, have been the product of a draft heavy military.

AAMOF, you have to blur distinctions to a fault to name any that have come out of the recent, all volunteer, military; where most above field grade are arguably better politicians than leaders/warriors?

Go ahead, start naming...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yep, there are pros and cons. But consider that historically many, if not most, of this country's most effective and acknowledged "leaders", with an ability to unite the country when it was threatened from without or within, have been the product of a draft heavy military.

AAMOF, you have to blur distinctions to a fault to name any that have come out of the recent, all volunteer, military; where most above field grade are arguably better politicians than leaders/warriors?

Go ahead, start naming...

I don't believe that is a valid argument to reinstate the draft, not even close.

I'm sure we will be in complete disagreement so I think it would be better to leave it at that than get in a long drawn out debate where we both burn through millions of electrons and get know where. Bad use of electricity, lol.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    More cons than pros. No one wants a peacetime military full of people who don't want to be there. I agree with national service of some sort, but not automatically the military.

However, I still would recommend joining to anyone who is undecided as to what to do with their lives. Despite the reduction in benefits (which has been going on long before the current administration), I still think military service offers opportunities you cannot get from other occupations.

I came from a military family and served 25 years in uniform myself and have been a defense contractor for the past eight basically doing pretty much the same thing I did on active duty (but under better terms! :D ). We also have a 16-yr-old son who, if he doesn't go to college, I will push to join as well.

I barely got through high school, not because I was stupid but I just wasn't motivated. Since joining I've earned three college degrees, traveled all over the world, lived in several foreign countries, and experienced adventures I could never have dreamed of otherwise. Those opportunities still exist, although it won't be as easy as it was during my time as with overseas base closures and force reductions, but they're still there.

Bottom line: I wouldn't trade my military experience for anything.

Cheers! M2

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I don't believe that is a valid argument to reinstate the draft, not even close.

I'm sure we will be in complete disagreement so I think it would be better to leave it at that than get in a long drawn out debate where we both burn through millions of electrons and get know where. Bad use of electricity, lol.

You're basically right, of course, but that would depend a great deal upon your experiences from having served in a draftee military to base your qualified, informed belief/opinion upon. ;)

Let's both hope the opportunity never arises.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I agree with national service of some sort, but not automatically the military.

I would not argue with that sort of compromise one bit. Hell, I'd embrace it ;)

Bottom line: I wouldn't trade my military experience for anything.

Cheers! M2

Nor would I. And you're right, I saw a lot of "cons" in my mere six years of service in a draftee based military, but NONE of it had anything to do with the training, effectiveness, and fighting spirit of the US "citizen soldier" when the chips were down in a combat zone.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I absolutely do. A lot of youth and non-military related people don't realize there are a ton of opportunities in the military other than combat roles. You can go pursue a lot of good career fields that will transfer to the civilian world. This helps a lot of people get out of their little do-nothing towns and avoid going in debt for a college degree. It's also a very forgiving place to learn certain trades. I know when I was starting out as a mechanic in the Seabees, there were a few times that I would have gotten fired as a civilian or at least had a huge bill owed to the shop. Then, if you make it for retirement, you're set. If you get out before reaching retirement, then you are still better off than a lot of people with the training the military gave you, and VA beni's. ESPECIALLY if you stay in Tx afterwards. Texas is the most pro-veteran state I've heard of so far.

So like I said-I tell people to go for it...just avoid the combat roles.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    +1. The U.S. armed forces stress that you can learn from your mistakes -- except for the loss of life.

Combat arms = high risk, high reward.

It always amazes me that since time immemorial, the United States has put the least experienced commissioned officers at the tip of the rifle platoon spear. (Not to mention the "shake and bake" sergeants when the ranks get thin). Why expect an apprentice to be the master?

Having served with the Brits, Canadians, and Germans, they put lieutenants where they could do the least harm. Experienced captains and Master Sergeants led platoons, and Majors and Sergeants Major led companies.

Prolly because we had more manpower than they had, and held the belief if you survived close combat, you could rise to the top having had "on the job training."

Fortunately, our losses have been relatively minor, and we have not heard of a "battle field promotion" in decades, as was common in WWII and Korea.

Since only about 5% of our youth qualify for military service without a waiver, I say Go For It!

It is a decent vocation, develops self discipline, and makes for a better patriot.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Coming from 24 years of military service...these days, military service is more like how a bull services a cow.

Take the current budget fight: The first thing flushed down the rat hole of Obamanomics is military retirees. When you have only a single-side contract you are a slave. Any failure on your part means possible jail, and they alter the bargain...and you can only pray that they don't alter it further.

I tell folks these days to go in, do four, and get out to use the GI bill (such as it is).

That said, I have had a usually entertaining 24 years; I've spent more than half of that overseas in interesting places doing interesting things, have collected eight degrees, and laid the groundwork for a follow on job that (so far) doesn't suck. But I started when you could kill people who were trying to kill you, instead of the new ObamaRules that value his fellow Muslims over Americans. Back when military leaders were not actively trying to strip medical benefits and retired pay from active and retired military. Of course, Eisenhower warned of the Military/Industrial complex...which is now solidly running the DoD with political hacks with birds and stars sucking the knobs of DoD suppliers for multimillion dollar golden parachutes...but I digress...

Alex

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I recommend the military to those who need it.

I am pushing my step son in that direction. He is very unmotivated (toward anything really). We can't afford to pay for college for him and I feel he would waste it anyways. I would like him to avoid student loans also. I believe the structure and dicipline would do him wonders plus help him mature before he decides what he wants to be as an adult. I think the military would be perfect for him.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Lack of respect for veterans? Roll back several decades and look at how vets were treated. I've been thanked more times on Vetrerans day in the last 6 or 7 years than in all the years before.

This administration might be bad, but it's not the first bad administration. Yes there are cuts to the military and the retirement program, but of all the vets I have ever met or known, I don't recall any single one joining the military with the goal of getting rich. Those who spend an entire career in the military deserve more than they get, but they didn't join for the retirement package, and after a full career, they're probably more than used to ending up on the short end of the stick.

No, my recommendations have not changed to younger folks regarding the military due to the current administration or cuts to Veterans benefits.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm not unhappy with the way my life turned out but I believe I would have been a better man if I had served in the military. I don't actively encourage young people in that direction because I have no experience to stand on. However, I do point it out as a valid alternative and I'd certainly never discourage anyone.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    Going into the USAF was the best thing I ever did for my career. 2 hours ago, I watched my oldest son swear into the USAF. I still don't know when he leaves, but his first job choice is Space Systems Facilities Maintenance. I think he mad a wise choice.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Going into the USAF was the best thing I ever did for my career. 2 hours ago, I watched my oldest son swear into the USAF. I still don't know when he leaves, but his first job choice is Space Systems Facilities Maintenance. I think he mad a wise choice.

Good stuff. That does have to be exciting for a father.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    2M0? Does he prefer Wyoming or North Dakota? ;)

Top Bottom