• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Prevents uneven pressure from being applied to the scope tube. A scope tube that is stressed and distorted will never track true, and be much harder to sight in and make repetitive adjustments.
    No problem I suppose if you are going to sight your rifle in one time and never touch the turrets again.
    If you plan to dial for wind or elevation, going to be hard to do with a scope that doesn’t track.
    In addition, as has been alluded to previously, it increases the clamping force by ensuring even contact across the full surface of the rings.

That’s odd.

I don’t do any lapping and have had absolutely no issues with tracking on my scopes. They’ve all been adjusted to their maximum elevation at one point or another.

By “all” it’s really only a couple that get that kind of workout. And SWFA 10X and Viper PST Gen 1. I love cranking in the turrets. For wind holds I’ll dial in most of it and only make small adjustments for changes.

I have no doubt the SWFA 16X will perform equally well.

As far as clamping force, they’ve held tight on an Armalite AR50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    That’s odd.

I don’t do any lapping and have had absolutely no issues with tracking on my scopes. They’ve all been adjusted to their maximum elevation at one point or another.

By “all” it’s really only a couple that get that kind of workout. And SWFA 10X and Viper PST Gen 1. I love cranking in the turrets. For wind holds I’ll dial in most of it and only make small adjustments for changes.

I have no doubt the SWFA 16X will perform equally well.

As far as clamping force, they’ve held tight on an Armalite AR50.

Cool.
    I grew up watching my father lap the rings on every single scope he mounted until the introduction of the Burris signature series rings with inserts.
    He and his friends were only competing in BR50 to shoot the smallest groups possible though, and would also do crazy things like weigh ammo and gauge rim thickness, so he might have had no idea what he was doing.
    ETA- Hell, they even hand lapped their barrels!

Last edited:

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    What do you mean by had a problem?
    Never.... auto correct and bourbon somehow missed it...... I've only had a zero shift in the last 4yrs that was due to a barrel change. And I'm far from gentle on my setups.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It’s not about whether they will move or not...
    Crushing the tube and leaving big ring marks really locks them in place.....

Since I learned how to mount a scope properly I haven't left a mark or had them move. All seem to track true too.

In the modern age of machining I just don't see the need.

But like anything, if it works for others then they can.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Cool.
    I grew up watching my father lap the rings on every single scope he mounted until the introduction of the Burris signature series rings with inserts.
    He and his friends were only competing in BR50 to shoot the smallest groups possible though, and would also do crazy things like weigh ammo and gauge rim thickness, so he might have had no idea what he was doing.

Yeah, so we should all be doing everything that bench rest shooters do...sure.

No chance that they would do anything just in the off chance it might help either, or that this is based off (I’m guessing) 30+ year old “common practice” and completely ignores the machining advancements made since.

Show me evidence that it matters on anything but bargain rings that probably shouldn’t be used on a rifle that needs adjustable turrets anyways.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Show me evidence that it matters on anything but bargain rings that probably shouldn’t be used on a rifle that needs adjustable turrets anyways.

Umm, no?
    I’m not trying to sell or force anything on you. just answering questions asked.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Cool.
    Lmao this is comical. Br records are constantly being broken lately and none lap rings..... bet you believe in neck sizing only too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    But seriously, no need to get hostile. I'm not saying what's right and what's not. I just wanted to start a conversation and see who is doing it.

I want to see how it helps over time on these rifles compared to just screwing it all together and hoping for the okayest

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I've only mounted one scope myself. Before that I always had gunsmiths do it. I mounted a cheap rimfire Vortex on my 10/22 and I lapped it 'cause Chad told me to. If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing...say it with me...right!

Gunmetal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2020
    Midland
    As long as good rings are used, I'd be way more concerned with meeting the correct torque specs and ensuring the scope is actually level

Top Bottom