• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Let me also reaffirm something about our Constitution. It was never written with an intent on limiting the rights of the citizens, but limiting the power of the government over the citizens. The framers of the Constitution when they wrote it, were also never granting any rights to the citizens of this country, they were simply affirming that those rights already existed to everyone.

It established recognition of rights that were inherent, and granted by the Creator, and not by the government. The Constitution is about establishing the limits of government, and not the rights of it's citizens.
    Guns International

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Let me also reaffirm something about our Constitution. It was never written with an intent on limiting the rights of the citizens, but limiting the power of the government over the citizens. The framers of the Constitution when they wrote it, were also never granting any rights to the citizens of this country, they were simply affirming that those rights already existed to everyone.

It established recognition of rights that were inherent, and granted by the Creator, and not by the government. The Constitution is about establishing the limits of government, and not the rights of it's citizens.

100% correct. And acknowledging and agreeing with that concept is the real difference between liberals and true conservatives.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I don't think the restrictions will stop criminals just like I don't think more guns would stop criminals.

Yes and no.... the first part of your statement is using appropriate logic because criminals won't obey any gun restrictions. The second is not logical at all because it ignores that criminals are afraid of citizens having guns. They are much less likely to rob/attack/harass/molest when they don't know who is armed and who isn't and the potential exists that they may be harmed as a result. Most criminals are also cowards and look for targets of opportunity that won't/can't fight back.

For example: a certain Southern state years ago was having trouble with armed carjackings. After a particularly nasty carjacking that resulting in harm to a mother and child, the legislature made it lawful to shoot carjackers. Carjackings in that state virtually disappeared after the new law went into effect.

John Lott
    Amazon product ASIN 0226493660

The 2nd Amendment includes well regulated.

As has been addressed elsewhere ad nauseum, "well regulated" doesn't mean what YOU think or want it to mean, it means what it meant at the time the Constitution was written. Which is in the context of a militia (the people as opposed to a standing army) being well armed, and well trained in use of arms.

But we are living today and so apply reasoning that is relevant today.

A swing and a miss.

"Living document" promoters vs "Originalists". Unfortunately SCOTUS over the years that have been dominated by liberal and progressive leftist justices, has encouraged the Living Document theory and applied it to their "interpretations" of the Constitution. IMO this is not logical thinking, for if we need to have new functioning or adaptations of the Constitution, there is a process for that.... it is called Amendment. Further, IMO, amending from the bench is wrong and unconstitutional. The Constitution assigns that power to legislative, not judicial branch.

Originalism protects the Constitution and the country from being changed at the whim of current trends. If you read The Federalist Papers, you will note that our Founding Fathers were very much concerned about this aspect of "democracy" and wanted a "Republic" to be founded on principles laid out as a "blueprint for a country". To understand the guiding principles and rules laid out in the Constitution, we MUST understand and take into account the thinking and use of terminology at the time it was written.

Look, we either have a blueprint for a country that we go by, or we don't. There is no "winging it" without going down the garden path to chaos and dissolution. I say, that if you want change amend the Constitution, or go start your own country somewhere and run it the way YOU like... leave MY country the way it was intended.

Last edited:

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas

Absolutely not. The Constitution is plain words and very clear. Where we have failed is allowing activist judges apply their interpretation to a plainly and clearly written document.

The founders would have been stacking bodies a long time ago to preserve what they wrote and clearly intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Who besides me expects to hear any time now, that the Founding Fathers are nothing more than a bunch of old white men that are not considered useful in today's world.

Well, from my experience and observations, that usually comes from those who like to put their own interpretations on the way the Constitution was written, rather than accepting it in the context the founding fathers meant it to be.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Well, from my experience and observations, that usually comes from those who like to put their own interpretations on the way the Constitution was written, rather than accepting it in the context the founding fathers meant it to be.

Bingo!

It's a very common saying/lament/argument put forward by RINO FUDDS. I do expect to hear it said in this thread at any moment!!! :evil:

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    ....The social agreement most of us live under - that being that we will adhere to he laws passed by those elected to represent the people...

Excellent post...I've quoted the bit above because that part seems to be what many have forgotten.

IMHO, mistaking "Agreement" for "Acquiescence" is one helluva dangerous misunderstanding...

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Excellent post...I've quoted the bit above because that part seems to be what many have forgotten.

IMHO, mistaking "Agreement" for "Acquiescence" is one helluva dangerous misunderstanding...

Exactly. All laws are not bad, and serve a greater good for the community and society. We can all agree that murder, robbery, theft, rape and such are bad acts that should be punished.

But passing laws that restrict, ban or regulate firearms, serves no goal in the greater good of the community or society, regardless of what the legislators passing them try to make us believe when they do make such laws.

At what point have criminals abided by such laws in the first place? Such laws only do one of two things. They either make law breakers out of normal law-abiding citizens, or further handicap them with needless restrictions or bans on firearms they could use to defend themselves from criminals.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Exactly. All laws are not bad, and serve a greater good for the community and society. We can all agree that murder, robbery, theft, rape and such are bad acts that should be punished.

But passing laws that restrict, ban or regulate firearms, serves no goal in the greater good of the community or society, regardless of what the legislators passing them try to make us believe when they do make such laws.

At what point have criminals abided by such laws in the first place? Such laws only do one of two things. They either make law breakers out of normal law-abiding citizens, or further handicap them with needless restrictions or bans on firearms they could use to defend themselves from criminals.
    Good laws generally focus on a person's interference with the rights of another.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    "Shall not be infringed" was pretty clear language that addresses limitations, but politicians and judges seem to be blind to those four words.

not that I am agreeing with them (politicians and judges) but they rely on other parts of the constitution to allow the limitations that have allowed. What portions who he he’ll knows... but it is nice to know that the SCOTUS has used the 14th amendment to mean that the 2nd applies to states as well.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    Here’s the thing to point out... when it comes to any possible gun control coming out of any any Democrat Controlled federal government.

The politicians have to instigate the passing of new laws rules and regulations. Whatever they maybe we as citizens have only 4 options once they do this.

Option 1: Obey, accept and goon with our lives. Maybe we protest, maybe write our politicians. But Still obey and accept.

Option 2: Obey, or Disobey, possibly get arrested. File lawsuits and wait for our legal system to hopefully overrule the laws, rules regulations as unconstitutional, or unlawful.

Option 3: Start a civil war/revolution.

Which option we pick as a gun owning society will do will be very dependent on what anti-gun laws are passed, and enforced.

If all they do are minor things. We probably won’t do much. If they pass more stringent laws, many will file various legal lawsuits. Many current lawsuits currently pending may possibly stop some of these laws from passing on a federal level, or maybe even overturn the federal ones. At least there’s a level of potential.

The vast majority of us won’t go as far as starting Civil war, or revolution until they start taking ultra drastic actions.

I do see if they start going door to door for gun confiscation and arrest that many instances of “Waco”, “”Ruby Ridge” and others will start happening on a highly frequent basis. These incidents will eventually lead to a civil war or revolution if they don’t stop. Study history of revolutions and civil wars, and you will see, the fighting doesn’t start until one side or the other makes one move to many.

The question each of you should ask yourself and decide for yourself and your family, is at what point will YOU say enough is enough and put your life on the line to stop tyranny.

what is the line in the sand for you?

for me..... it’s when they come knocking on my door.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

The law should be applied as written, not as re-interpreted by those who want to circumvent it. Consider this, Jar-Jar. Why in the WORLD would the founders have written a bill of rights that restricts the government from infringing on nine basic rights, but puts one right under government control? These men had just finished overthrowing their government for infringing on their rights. There is no logic to your position. The phrase was written "a well-regulated militia", not "a government-controlled and approved militia". Well regulated. Even if you take your farcical (liberal) interpretation, it still does not say who is supposed to do the regulating. Militias, by definition, are not government controlled or government organized. So even your modern interpretation of what was (and is, if you engage even the slimmest amount of critical thinking) a very plainly stated concept falls flat on its face.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State (oh, look, that's the part you guys like to point to as justifying infringement. But no, it is VERY OBVIOUSLY just a statement of why this right is important - so we can form a militia if we feel it necessary to keep our country free and secure.), the right of the people to keep and bear Arms (Nothing at all here about those arms being approved by the government, or that they not be scary-looking, or the amount of ammunition one might be "allowed" for them, or any restrictions - hell, it doesn't even specify firearms, because the men who wrote this document were smarter than that. And it is a right of the PEOPLE, not of the government.), shall not be infringed. (The part we like to point at, because government regulation or restriction is an infringement that violates both the spirit and the letter of the law.)"

Here's the thing, pal. The Constitution and the bill of rights (and this may blow your mind) do not confer, create, or grant anyone any rights. Our rights are not given to us by a benevolent government. They are pre-existing, by dint of us being human beings. Those of us who are of a religious nature would say they're God-given. Those who aren't can probaby wrap their heads around the idea of natural human rights that nobody can give or rescind. The Constitution was written to place restrictions on the government, not to restrict the people. NOWHERE in the Constituion does the phrase "the People shall be granted the right" appear. Read it. The whole thing. When our rights are mentioned, the amendments are phrased to address them as pre-existing rights. "The right of the people". When amendments are passed to address past wrongs, it does not say "Group A shall now have the right to X..." it says "The right of the people to X shall not be denied or abridged by the United States..." Again, that right is not granted, it is recognized as having been violated and the violation is banned. If the government does not create our rights, then it has no authority to restrict them. It has no right to tell me how many rounds I can have in a magazine or how fast I can fire them. It has no right to tell me what I can and can't say about the idiots in Washington DC or how vehemently I disagree with them. It has no right to come between me and how I choose to worship or not to.

And yes, our rights that the Constitution is intended to protect are, in fact, absolute. That you believe otherwise is sad, and you have my pity, because you choose to live as a subject rather than a citizen. We are not beholden to the government. They are supposed to be beholden to us. They are not our rulers, they are our employees.

If you think a Biden/Harris administration will involve sanity or evidence based decision making, then you're not paying attention. You have a figurehead with worsening dementia and a woman who, as Attorney General of California, withheld evidence that would've seen multiple wrongly convicted prisoners (mostly African-American males) set free. I suppose that's evidence-based decision making there - she decided not to provide the evidence.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Here’s the thing to point out... when it comes to any possible gun control coming out of any any Democrat Controlled federal government.

The politicians have to instigate the passing of new laws rules and regulations. Whatever they maybe we as citizens have only 4 options once they do this.

Option 1: Obey, accept and goon with our lives. Maybe we protest, maybe write our politicians. But Still obey and accept.

Option 2: Obey, or Disobey, possibly get arrested. File lawsuits and wait for our legal system to hopefully overrule the laws, rules regulations as unconstitutional, or unlawful.

Option 3: Start a civil war/revolution.

Which option we pick as a gun owning society will do will be very dependent on what anti-gun laws are passed, and enforced.

If all they do are minor things. We probably won’t do much. If they pass more stringent laws, many will file various legal lawsuits. Many current lawsuits currently pending may possibly stop some of these laws from passing on a federal level, or maybe even overturn the federal ones. At least there’s a level of potential.

The vast majority of us won’t go as far as starting Civil war, or revolution until they start taking ultra drastic actions.

I do see if they start going door to door for gun confiscation and arrest that many instances of “Waco”, “”Ruby Ridge” and others will start happening on a highly frequent basis. These incidents will eventually lead to a civil war or revolution if they don’t stop. Study history of revolutions and civil wars, and you will see, the fighting doesn’t start until one side or the other makes one move to many.

The question each of you should ask yourself and decide for yourself and your family, is at what point will YOU say enough is enough and put your life on the line to stop tyranny.

what is the line in the sand for you?

for me..... it’s when they come knocking on my door.

What's the 4th option?

Top Bottom