• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I use to love onions but after a very mild case of covid they smell like crap. I can handle a small amount of sliced yellow onion raw. Garlic is out of the question now.
    Pisses me off!
    Those patties look Good.
    Capitol Armory ad

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    LD,

Perhaps, as time passes, your taste for onions and garlic will return.

While many of us like the texture and flavor of raw onions, I love the texture and flavor of raw garlic too, especially on burgers or in salads.

I hope your taste gets back to where it once belonged...

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Only time I have eaten raw garlic was when several cloves were served with some borscht.. couple of sips of soup and bite half a clove of garlic that had been pressed into some salt. Wow it was spicy!

I like Onions, but have shifted to shallots for a lot of my cooking.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    c2300,

Shallots, Leeks, Green Onions, Yellow and White, Garlic, if they're in the 'onion family' I'm a fan.

On a side note: One of the more overlooked veggies is the humble Turnips and/or Rutabagas...good stuff, but yes, they're not as favorably looked upon as the 'Potato Family", but try them sometime, you may be surprised at the wonderful flavor they produce...

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    c2300,

Shallots, Leeks, Green Onions, Yellow and White, Garlic, if they're in the 'onion family' I'm a fan.

On a side note: One of the more overlooked veggies is the humble Turnips and/or Rutabagas...good stuff, but yes, they're not as favorably looked upon as the 'Potato Family", but try them sometime, you may be surprised at the wonderful flavor they produce...
    Funny I was thinking leeks or green onions would be equally good in this dish. I have also herd this dish called a Spanish Potato & Onion Omelet.

Rutabagas sliced thinly and made with heavy cream, a little flour, salt & pepper with parmesan cheese like scalloped potatoes are awesome.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Funny I was thinking leeks or green onions would be equally good in this dish. I have also herd this dish called a Spanish Potato & Onion Omelet.

Rutabagas sliced thinly and made with heavy cream, a little flour, salt & pepper with parmesan cheese like scalloped potatoes are awesome.
    I make baked potatoes with my cast iron broiler steaks and as the taters are finishing I melt about a stick of butter into 3 or 4 shallots chopped 3/16×1" and several cloves of minced garlic. I cook it low heat and just enough to make the shallots go clear, then spoon out a little butter to cook the steaks in. Once the taters are done, I split them and drizzle the butter with shallots into them and top them with cheese and sour cream. If I have enough, I'll top the steaks with some shallots too, but salt, pepper and a little flavored butter is plenty for me.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    If you like onions, try this. You can thank me later.

Take a whole onion, core out the middle without going all the way through.
    Slice down through the onion, quartering it but not all the way through.
    Take a beef bullion cube and place in the center hole of the onion and put a pat of butter on the top.
    Wrap in foil and put on the grill or in the oven for about 35-45 minutes. If you're cooking directly over hot coals you might want to double wrap in in the foil to prevent burning.
    It is great! Tastes kinda like French Onion soup.

When you go to unwrap the onion, be careful, there is a lot of wonderful juice in there. Don't lose any because you're gonna want to sop it up later.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I make baked potatoes with my cast iron broiler steaks and as the taters are finishing I melt about a stick of butter into 3 or 4 shallots chopped 3/16×1" and several cloves of minced garlic. I cook it low heat and just enough to make the shallots go clear, then spoon out a little butter to cook the steaks in. Once the taters are done, I split them and drizzle the butter with shallots into them and top them with cheese and sour cream. If I have enough, I'll top the steaks with some shallots too, but salt, pepper and a little flavored butter is plenty for me.

Brown butter, garlic, shallots & capers with Dijon mustard are tasty on top of steaks

Top Bottom