Votes: 23 12.2%

• Total voters

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    I didn’t really assume shit…other than you actually own guns and shoot them.

Folks like to call out reloaders on their equipment costs. If it were a business, that’s fair. If a hobby, I say foul. No different than asking the price of a table saw and miter for the guy who builds his own cabinets.
    Speaking for myself, I don't call out anyone for what they have and how much they spend.

I've been in construction since 1969. I have all of the tools, except a table saw, to build almost anything you would want. I have accumulated my tools over a period of years, but if I had to buy them now, some tools would cost 3 - 4 times what I paid for them to begin with.

You, most likely, have all of the reloading equipment that you need. So, the question I have for you is....how much more does the reloading equipment cost now than when you first bought them?
    DK Firearms

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I agree with @General Zod there are several things I would like to do also, but the
    finances and space are not there.

I’ve got $1k invested, but I spent that over (counts on fingers from 1990) 30+ years. (Ran out of fingers and toes)

Started with a Lee press and 44 dies. When I bought a gun I’d shoot it, and if I liked it I’d buy does for it. Back then they were $10-12 for Lee dies.

People I knew would save brass. I’ve bought lots of brass on this site. And lots of components too: powder, bullets to load.

Glad I started when I did. It’s much more costly to get started these days. I’m still using the same 44, 38,, 30-06 dies I bought in the 90’s. I’ve added a few over the years, some from garage sales and estate sales.

The classifieds here are a good source too. I’ve bought quite a bit of brass here over the years Almost always used.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I went by Academy today. Most of the 30-30 I saw 3 days ago is gone. They have 23- 20 round boxes
    at , almost, $27.99 per box left, but that's after I bought 5 boxes.

I haven’t shopped for 30-30 ammo in a while. Nice to see you were able to get some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I feel like I need to take inventory now of my 30-30 rounds. Then buys some more and reload the brass I have

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016

The kind who likes a cheese and pineapple pizza. But I also love my Glock pistols. That’s right, I’m man enough to admit those

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    My FIRST CF rifle was bought out here in Montana. It was a MADE IN CT NIB Marlin 336C (Walnut/blue steel.) in a 30-30 Winchester caliber.

(The first CF rifle that I ever shot in my LIFE was in Colorado in a .223 caliber - Ruger Mini 14 - wood stock ranch style. I have NO clue on the specific model number of it. IT was on BLM LAND. I did not own it and it belonged to an old Nam Vet close to my late husband's age and HE was a close CONSERVATIVE with a libertarian slant POLITICAL - PRO GUN best friend of mine. Later on, I shot other CF rifles at my former Sportsman's Club in the boonies.)

Other CF rifles were bought, used ALONE by me and/or shared out here with my MT husband in other 30-30 Win. calibers AND in PISTOL CF calibers too - 357Magnum and 45Long Colt to SHARE AMMO with some RUGER Blackhawks s/a revolvers and SMITH and WESSON d/a revolvers of MINE. (Several brands of CF rifles, Marlin - CT made ones, Winchester, Henry, etc.) Typo!

I had bought 3 RF (22lr) rifles back east (Browning BL22, Winchester 94-22 and a CT Marlin Papoose with the blue bag.) and MANY handguns back east. About 15 or so total firearms. I ONLY bought and owned 3 rifles back east.

IF I was still shooting CF RIFLES - I would STILL own that sweet CT Marlin 336C and a few other CF rifles and handguns.

But all I shoot now are the 2 SWEET CZ 457 Lux rifles in 22lr and 22wmr that I gave to my husband but still shoot and a couple of other ones of his in 22lr and 22wmr.

I am OLD SCHOOL, old @ 73 years old and I do not care if people HATE ME for being a 'boomer' and USE THAT WORD as a SLUR - I LOVE that 30-30 Win. caliber.

I LOVE VERY, very SPECIFIC BRAND NAMES, VERY SPECIFIC CALIBERS even after trying OTHER calibers, brand names and actions that belonged to OTHER PEOPLE and ACTIONS IN MY OWN GUNS.

Past and present.

I love some OTHER guns that I never bought or OWNED too. Custom MADE or right out of the NIB box.

I love the CLASSIC LOOKS OF THEM and their HISTORY! Their QUALITY and everything else about them. Just like some other fine things in LIFE from sail boats, power boats, furniture, china, clocks, trucks, cars, etc.

I LOVE specific lever action rifles, specific bolt action rifles, SPECIFIC d/a revolvers, specific single action revolvers and VERY SPECIFIC semi automatic pistols and some GLOCK PISTOLS too!

I still do not get the 'hate' for so called BOOMERS as they call us ON this forum. Whatever trips their trigger, eh?! LOL

Typo! Fixed it.

I don't get the hate for OLD STYLE GUNS. I figure if you love them - BUY them. shoot them, carry them and care for them and if you hate them - don't buy them!

I do think that some guns are ugly or NOT BEAUTIFUL AKA not my taste. IT IS NOT my money and not my gun so people can BUY what they want and LIKE at any age is MY motto!

I bought in the past or buy a GUN (Handgun or rifle.) for LOOKS, style, action, brand name, quality, RELIABILITY, cost of feeding it, ease of cleaning, FACTORY NAME aka quality AGAIN, how it FITS MY OWN HAND and handicaps, REPUTATION of said gun, etc.

I never bought or owned a shotgun but I did THINK about it in the past.

I like CLASSIC LOOKS and I love the GENERATION 3 Glock 19 pistols that I owned. And my husband's present and former Glock pistols just as I loved HIS former 1911 pistols, single and double action revolvers, etc.

I did NOT hunt and do NOT hunt now but I did USE that MARLIN 336C 30-30 Win. rifle for woods/wilderness protection with other larger caliber handguns too.

My MT husband has owned MANY 30-30 Winchester caliber and 45-70 Government rifles plus many others. He has GIFTED MARLIN 30-30 Win. rifles to some of his former relatives too.

He has been shooting guns since he was a young kid.

I did NOT buy my OWN guns until I was in my late 40's - late 90's.

My MT husband still OWNS 2 lever action rifles that were Made in CT Marlin rifles.

Marlin 336SS - walnut/stainless steel in a 30-30 Winchester caliber.

Marlin Classic 1895 - walnut/blue steel in a 45-70 Government caliber.

He ALWAYS OWNED more lever action and bolt action rifles too.

The ONLY semi automatic RIFLE that I ever owned or even wanted to buy and DID BUY was my former, sweet CT Marlin Papoose - take down rifle with the blue bag. Black composite with stainless steel. That was bought back east and I sold it out here after several years of owning it.

Go 30-30 Winchester caliber!

Old Lady Cate

Last edited:

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    I've got one I picked up at an auction in Geneva, NY. It's a Marlin 1936 aka Marlin 36, second variation with B prefix. I rarely shoot it because I don't want to take it out to often and chance messing it up. The photos do not do the case color any justice.

View attachment 207365 View attachment 207366 View attachment 207367 View attachment 207368 View attachment 207363 View attachment 207364

From this poll so far, they seem more popular with us older geezers and ot so much so with the youngsters. But as they used to say, life begins at 40, so they have time to come around.
    Sweet!

Old Lady Cate

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    How many of you ever shot these in your 30-30. They were devastating on coyotes when I could get them cheap!!!
    View attachment 276941
    We had some of that above Remington Acc. FACTORY ammunition for several years.

I have not seen any of that ammunition in the stores in AGES and I do not know if it is still made. We got ours at Bob Wards and at SW here in town. IT is all gone now. We shot it all up.

We used it at some of our private invite only shooting events at our range and at our range alone with just the two of us shooting in the past.

I no longer shoot CF rifles but my husband still owns and shoots his Marlin 336SS in 30-30 Win. plus his other rifles.

He reloads for ALL of his CF rifles and for his 45acp pistol now. He has reloaded since the early 1970's.

But he still has some FACTORY 30-30 Win. ammo on hand - I think it is in 150 grain and 170 grain and MOST of it is in REMINGTON (Core-Lokt) and some is in FEDERAL too.

Old Lady Cate

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    While I'd like to have a 30-30, I need to reduce the number of different calibers I maintain.
    I can understand that.

There is NO shame in that.

Been there - done that. Age, old accident issues and arthritis getting MUCH worse for me.

My MT husband and I have done downsizing in ALL of his and her guns and lots of caliber consolidation over the years.

Right before, during and after his retirement too.

Mine was due to physical issues.

As he AGED, he had to do this with many of his handguns and even when it came to his competition.

His work and an old accident finally got to his hands, etc.

So he does NOT OWN or shoot many of the SWEET guns that he used to own and shoot. Typo! Apologies.

One advantage with him downsizing is that he has LESS components to reload with and his STOCK ON HAND is easier to deal with.

Me? I am into 22lr and 22wmr. So is he.

Take care!

Old Lady Cate

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994