• What's a 30-30?

Votes: 23 12.2%

• Total voters

Slammer13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2023
    Round Rock
    My first long gun was and still is a Marlin 336 in 30-30. Didn't know anything about the caliber at th time, but the rifle sure looked cool.
    It's action has smoothed out considerably since my first trip to the berm.

iamjimd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2023
    San Antonio
    Yes, I have one, inherited from my grandfather. It's fun to shoot but I have never used it for hunting. I prefer my .308 for deer and pigs, but that's just because I don't have a scope on the 30-30.

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    I never owned 'safe queens'.

My late husband and my MT husband never owned safe queens. My late husband only owned a few guns in his life ON PURPOSE and they were only in 22lr and in 357Magnum calibers.

Use it or lose it is my motto.

GIFT it, pass it on or sell it is my motto if YOU choose to do this.

I just asked my husband who got up @ 4:30 AM (Montana time.) if he ever really owned a SAFE QUEEN and he said, "NO."

He said that the CLOSEST FIREARM that he ever owned as a safe queen was a gun that he killed 2 ELK with AND shot at his range and in other places.

That was the rifle that I did SEE IN PERSON and he sold at the old now closed up store called Brady's Sportsman's Surplus here in town.

He just repeated this to me again since I asked him.

It was RUGER MODEL 77 limited run - 1 in 500 made and in a .358 Winchester caliber.

IT was previously OWNED and bought NIB by the ORIGINAL OWNER here in town, HANK WILLIAMS JR. I think that Hank still owns a few places in Montana but I am not sure.

That rifle NEVER made it to the shelf and it was SOLD on the spot when my husband went in there. He still had the sales slip and the men knew my husband there too.

We sold some WINCHESTER 94 Trappers too. They went fast and were in 45Long Colt, 357Magnum and in 30-30 Win. calibers.

They were bought NIB, shot, and sold down the road when Winchester stopped making them.

Those 94Trappers that my MT husband and I owned were NOT the famous PRE 64 (YEAR made wise.) Winchester rifles that my late, dear old friend in guns/politics/RKBA issues in Colorado owned and collected over the years. He was another Nam Vet and a GOOD man like my late husband was. He lived in Grand Junction, Colorado. This best FRIEND died within ONE WEEK of my late husband's death and in the same YEAR.

I see nothing WRONG and I NEVER DID if a person decides to GIFT, pass on or sell something that they choose to do when it comes to a FIREARM or in any other object or thing.

If someone else wants it and USES IT and YOU do not want it any longer OR if you LIKE SOMETHING ELSE or if you want to TRY something else different or YOU can't use it due to physical issues - handicaps or if you have SPACE ISSUES in your home or want to make your life more simple in ALL matters or if you are AGING and have no children - let someone else use it and be HAPPY with the ITEM that SITS there not used by YOU.

NO one really needs a REASON or an explanation on what they DO with their things.

I am not just talking about guns or knives now too.

I have made offers of some gifts, some people wanted the items and some people did NOT want the items because they HAD NO ROOM in their home or the things were items that they were NOT INTO - INTEREST WISE.

With that said, I found GOOD HOMES for many things in my life where people did WANT and USE what I GAVE TO THEM over the years. This went for my late husband and for my MT husband too. So it was not only about sales but gifts and donations too.

Old Lady Cate

Txmark

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Mustang Ridge
    For the lever action folks in central Texas, there is going to be a Rifle Caliber Lever Action Silhouette match at Austin Rifle Club in Manor Tx on December 31. Signup starts at 7:30am, practice around 8 and match at 9. Course of fire is Chickens at 50 meters, pigs at 100, turkeys at 150, and rams at 200. Most people are using 30-30, but others use.357 up to 45-70. You don’t have to be a club member to participate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    For the lever action folks in central Texas, there is going to be a Rifle Caliber Lever Action Silhouette match at Austin Rifle Club in Manor Tx on December 31.
    Just put of curiosity, since this seems to always be a stumbling block for silhouette matches, where do you get your target setters?

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    For the lever action folks in central Texas, there is going to be a Rifle Caliber Lever Action Silhouette match at Austin Rifle Club in Manor Tx on December 31. Signup starts at 7:30am, practice around 8 and match at 9. Course of fire is Chickens at 50 meters, pigs at 100, turkeys at 150, and rams at 200. Most people are using 30-30, but others use.357 up to 45-70. You don’t have to be a club member to participate.

Ooooo this sounds fun.
    Already committed on that day tho.
    Moonpie is a sad panda now.

Txmark

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Mustang Ridge
    Just put of curiosity, since this seems to always be a stumbling block for silhouette matches, where do you get your target setters?

For the monthly club matches, we set our own. For the TSRA state match in April, they get some high school kids and pay them for resets.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I never owned 'safe queens'.

My late husband and my MT husband never owned safe queens. My late husband only owned a few guns in his life ON PURPOSE and they were only in 22lr and in 357Magnum calibers.

Use it or lose it is my motto.

GIFT it, pass it on or sell it is my motto if YOU choose to do this.

I just asked my husband who got up @ 4:30 AM (Montana time.) if he ever really owned a SAFE QUEEN and he said, "NO."

He said that the CLOSEST FIREARM that he ever owned as a safe queen was a gun that he killed 2 ELK with AND shot at his range and in other places.

That was the rifle that I did SEE IN PERSON and he sold at the old now closed up store called Brady's Sportsman's Surplus here in town.

He just repeated this to me again since I asked him.

It was RUGER MODEL 77 limited run - 1 in 500 made and in a .358 Winchester caliber.

IT was previously OWNED and bought NIB by the ORIGINAL OWNER here in town, HANK WILLIAMS JR. I think that Hank still owns a few places in Montana but I am not sure.

That rifle NEVER made it to the shelf and it was SOLD on the spot when my husband went in there. He still had the sales slip and the men knew my husband there too.

We sold some WINCHESTER 94 Trappers too. They went fast and were in 45Long Colt, 357Magnum and in 30-30 Win. calibers.

They were bought NIB, shot, and sold down the road when Winchester stopped making them.

Those 94Trappers that my MT husband and I owned were NOT the famous PRE 64 (YEAR made wise.) Winchester rifles that my late, dear old friend in guns/politics/RKBA issues in Colorado owned and collected over the years. He was another Nam Vet and a GOOD man like my late husband was. He lived in Grand Junction, Colorado. This best FRIEND died within ONE WEEK of my late husband's death and in the same YEAR.

I see nothing WRONG and I NEVER DID if a person decides to GIFT, pass on or sell something that they choose to do when it comes to a FIREARM or in any other object or thing.

If someone else wants it and USES IT and YOU do not want it any longer OR if you LIKE SOMETHING ELSE or if you want to TRY something else different or YOU can't use it due to physical issues - handicaps or if you have SPACE ISSUES in your home or want to make your life more simple in ALL matters or if you are AGING and have no children - let someone else use it and be HAPPY with the ITEM that SITS there not used by YOU.

NO one really needs a REASON or an explanation on what they DO with their things.

I am not just talking about guns or knives now too.

I have made offers of some gifts, some people wanted the items and some people did NOT want the items because they HAD NO ROOM in their home or the things were items that they were NOT INTO - INTEREST WISE.

With that said, I found GOOD HOMES for many things in my life where people did WANT and USE what I GAVE TO THEM over the years. This went for my late husband and for my MT husband too. So it was not only about sales but gifts and donations too.

Old Lady Cate
    This is how feel and have done the same. Gave lot's to those I knew wanted something or something in particular that's always easy to spot when theiobject. Gleam and focus on that object.

Others have sold just to help the family from not having to do it and bringing up sad days in the process as well as not letting others take advantage of the situation or low ball offers.

All is good with my family and I with my choices.

Txmark

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Mustang Ridge
    963daa68890cf75df0579167ecc2a155.jpg

P
    f4dd2f951255f8f81c6002ae7468e439.jpg

Practicing at 150 and 200 meters with my 1956 model 1894 30-30

Top Bottom