• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Do you crank out hundreds or thousands in a batch?
    Or do you spend infinite amounts of time trying to squeeze out every thousandth of an inch of discrepancy between each round?

Both are worth the time and money spent.
    Just for the sake of discussion.

I do both.
    I've got progressive presses set up for bulk pistol rounds.
    Set it and forget it type stuff. I run those on days like today.
    Bad weather, no chance to shoot. Just make the best of my time.

I use better weather days for small batch "test loads" for precision rifle shooting.
    These don't lend themselves to "I made 1000 this evening". They're detailed, intricate. Often capable of better accuracy than I can deliver through my own shooting ability.

Then, there's the "pet load".
    I don't sweat every little detail.
    I don't weigh cases.
    Might check the powder charge every 10th round.
    But they perform just like the one before, and the one before that.

So, do you reload?
    Do you handload?
    Guns International

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I'm mostly a hand loader but I don't weigh cases or get real picky. Finding exactly the right amount of powder for the case is what I really watch. On a new load, I'll measure a tenth of a grain up each time for about 4 or 5 tenths differences then shoot them to see which one my gun likes. Has worked pretty good so far. Last time I did that I found the load that my AR liked and shot a three shot group at 3/8" at 100 yds. Figured I'd stop 'cause I can't shoot that good consistently.

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    Then, there's the "pet load".
    I don't sweat every little detail.
    I don't weigh cases.
    Might check the powder charge every 10th round.
    But they perform just like the one before, and the one before that.

I load a lot of pistol ammo, prefer ball powder for consistent drops each time.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    All three, with a twist. I spend a lot of time on my precision rifle handloads. I spend as little time as possible on pistol reloads (.45, 9mm, .38 spl) on a progressive. Pet loads get a little less attention than the precision loads, but still on a single stage. The twist is on higher power handgun loads. I really don't want to f'k up high power pistol rounds, so my .44 mags & .357's get loaded on a single stage with virtually all powder charges weighed.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have some stuff just for reloading. Then I have the handload for accuracy stash. Prefer to handloadfor specific rifles. By the time I reload for most of the pistols I shoot, I can buy it cheap enough it isn't worth it. But should there be another shortage, I will have at least a few thousand rounds for each.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I’m in the “both” camp.

I load 9mm purely for economy.

I load .308, 6.5CM, and soon .223 for precision. Even hunting rounds end up with a fair amount of load development, can’t stand going out knowing that I could have a more accurate lid than what I’m using.

I have some trouble with “pet loads”. I try to just drop powder for a load I like and accept minor variations, but always end up weighing each charge on a beam scale. I 300BO falls outside my norm I guess. I constantly change up bullets and often find a load that works reasonably well for whatever purpose I have at the time.

I’m gonna add another category for “tinkerer”. I’ve had a lot of fun trying new things just to try them. I attempted to develop the 9mm Ginger in order to increase the capacity of a lever action. Cycling issues killed it, but I have some short cartridges for my Blackhawk now.

Experimented with home made snake shot using cardboard disks instead of capsules.

Played with .308 subs but found them irritating in the end.

Worked to make the 300BO as quiet as possible by going backwards and using lightweight bullets at subsonic speed. Very successful as creating grins but otherwise mostly useless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rusty Gun

brass picker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    I reload as in I don’t spend lots of time worrying about exact powder charges for pistol rounds. I will say that when I try a new powder or weight I will be very careful for the first 50-100 rounds and weigh powder in every other round. Once I get a recipe that works and my confidence is high enough I crank out 300 an hour.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Related to this (and sorry if seems to hijack thread vs just additional data points), I'm actually a bit curious if anyone is doing on-range load development, as opposed to batch-based development/testing.

e.g. - wondering what percentage of folks are doing (broad) batch-based development & testing vs. doing individual workups on-range (micro- batches/lots) with a small stash of supplies and an arbor press (e.g. summit, etc.), then using final data to dial-in the progressive based on optimal load. Also curious how popular use of quickloads is...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    wondering what percentage of folks are doing (broad) batch-based development & testing vs. doing individual workups on-range (micro- batches/lots) with a small stash of supplies and an arbor press (e.g. summit, etc.), then using final data to dial-in the progressive based on optimal load.
    I think something approaching 100% of benchrest competitors load at the range, at least during workups. A few now show up to competitions with pre-loaded batches but they're still, afaik, in the minority. I don't know anybody else who loads at the range.

Disclaimer - Statement above does not apply to black powder. I had to throw that in for Moonpie and a few others. :)

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Related to this (and sorry if seems to hijack thread vs just additional data points), I'm actually a bit curious if anyone is doing on-range load development, as opposed to batch-based development/testing.

e.g. - wondering what percentage of folks are doing (broad) batch-based development & testing vs. doing individual workups on-range (micro- batches/lots) with a small stash of supplies and an arbor press (e.g. summit, etc.), then using final data to dial-in the progressive based on optimal load. Also curious how popular use of quickloads is...
    I'm slowly working on facilities to do this.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Used to do both.

Dillon progressive to crank out handgun rounds.
    Poor thing is worn out now and needs a rebuild.

Single stage press for the low volume stuff.
    Mainly large rifle calibers but do make the occasional run of oddball stuff like .218Bee,8mm Lebel,250Savage,etc.

Lyman 310 hand tool for the very low volume ammo like 45-70 blackpowder cartridge.

Hand roll paper cartridges for the blackpowder muzzle and breech loaders like the Sharps and Charleville.

These days I just buy 9mm, 223, 45, 308, and recently 10mm as I'm just getting into the caliber.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Both...
    2 Dillon 650’s for handgun bulk and .223 bulk.
    One for small primers and one for large primers so caliber changes are quicker and simpler.
    Single stages for .44mag, .357 mag, and other rifle cartridges.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Since shooting is a hobby of mine, I deduct 3 hours wages from the 1000rd cost of online ammo.
    That makes it free, and I actually make money...

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    I think something approaching 100% of benchrest competitors load at the range, at least during workups. A few now show up to competitions with pre-loaded batches but they're still, afaik, in the minority. I don't know anybody else who loads at the range.

Disclaimer - Statement above does not apply to black powder. I had to throw that in for Moonpie and a few others. :)

Beat me to it. The only reloading equipment I own. Working up a load for a black powder rifle is mandatory.

I could get into handloading a precision load for my 30.06, but, it really doesn't make much difference to me, as all I need is to check the center on a box of shells, or adjust the scope if need be, which is less than 1/2 a box, then I need one cartridge per animal.

I could get into long range target shooting, but that has to go on the bucket list for now.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I don't have any automated equipment. I started on a Lee Single Stage, and now have a Lee 4-hole Turret press. I do some quantity on that thing for 223 and 300 Blk. But mostly I like to develop loads for accuracy.

In spite of that, I still don't really have any desire to get into long range shooting. I can't afford the glass that hobby requires, and I rarely get into something and half-ass it.

My buddy made a 500 yd shot on an antelope a while back. That would be about my limit, and I'm not sure if I can do that far.

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington

I do my brass prep, and powder throw at home. I’ll tweak seating depth at the shooting bench. I have a hand press to work on seating.

I do my bulk reloads on the Dillon 550 (pistol and 223 plinking)

My pet and precision stuff on the Redding single stage.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom