• TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I do my bulk reloading on a Dillon 550. My precision rifle, high power magnum loads, and tinkering are all done on a Rockchucker.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    I do my brass prep, and powder throw at home. I’ll tweak seating depth at the shooting bench. I have a hand press to work on seating.

I do my bulk reloads on the Dillon 550 (pistol and 223 plinking)

My pet and precision stuff on the Redding single stage.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

That's close to the process I'm working on assembling (which though detailed is nothing original, just based on an aggregation of research & received guidance).

Most of what I listed below is a work-in-progress, so its possible that some expectations/projections may be off, but figured would be worth sharing. The goal for me (and why this is worth the effort) is to first ascertain one (or more in limited cases) optimal & accurate load per caliber, given various desirable operating conditions and my specific platforms (e.g. high PF/pressure w/ low velocity, optimal burn/impulse/feeding/etc., or high-accuracy LR, etc.), then attempt to produce volume at that spec and within close tolerances. My current methods, while capable of producing stuff that "works", are simply not up to the task given what I'm trying to do (constraints on time, distance, variability of caliber/platform, etc.).

I currently run just a single xl650 w/ various accessories, but am looking to move towards breaking it up a bit by doing all case-prep at home on the 650 (and swager/trimmer/etc., as required) as a first isolated stage, then using a home-built portable kit to do complete load-development & testing on-range (with precision tools/dies) as the most efficient way to allow for rapidly adjusting and documenting load variables/results in-line...

I got the idea for assembling this type of kit from the following video (had been thinking about an ultra-portable solution for a while & exploring options):

I'm planning a similar (but slightly slightly different) build approach with some 3D printed tool/die/scale/gauge/primer/part/etc. holders (filler)

Once I've got an optimal load (that I'm happy with, at least), will tune the drop/seating on dedicated toolheads, and spend the time to get it precise...

Figure that as long as I stick with powders which drop well from a 650 drop/funnel which have been polished to a mirror finish, and don't rush the die/drop setup, I'm hoping to get some really consistent and optimal (batch-based) volume and consistency out of this single 650 with loads that are way more dialed-in than anything I can produce currently...

That's the plan anyway...

Last edited:

ireload2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2018
    USA
    I tend to avoid reloading which I consider volume reloading. So I do not shoot handguns. I buy most shot shells since it is not possible to save much lshotshells.gun shells.
    I find handloading to be an interesting way to spend my time. So I like to work up loads for an old rifle. Once boredom sets in I start getting an itch for another rifle.

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    Well, right now all my stuff is in storage... but I started out to handload to save money. Then I started loading for cartridges that were not readily available (mostly milsurp stuff) and then I did some accuracy loading which included getting the tools for that like a Stoney Point OCL tool and the like. I also did some specialty loading like shot loads for the 45 Colt. I'm looking forward to getting my own place again so I can set up shop.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom