Join TexasGunTalk

Do You Sharpen Your Chain Saw Blades?

Discussion in 'Rants and Raves' started by Mowingmaniac 24/7, Jul 11, 2019.

1. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!

Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I was working a ton of hours and money didn't mean a thing to me. I'd buy things like appliances and just stack the boxes in the spare bedroom- unopened.

Being thrifty got me to try sharpening the chains. Later, it just didn't matter.

Flash

2. HKShooter65

HKShooter65 Well-Known

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  3. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Active Member

A file.

4. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Active Member

They have chains, with teeth.

Charlie likes this.
  5. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Active Member

I built bird houses with chainsaw and a drill.

6. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Active Member

If you own a saw, you should have the round file to fit the chain and a flat file at least. I've set up my shop vice to go in a 2" receiver hitch so I can move it to any building I might need it or put it on the truck hitch or the tractor bumper. I can sharpen saws with out the vise but it is pretty nice to have, and it acts like counter weight on the front of the tractor as well. I'd rather sharpen the chain than change one out.

Even better, just KEEP it sharp. If you run one until it is dull, it is just as likely so hot it is RUINED as well as dull.

Charlie and vmax like this.
  7. candcallen

candcallen Active Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Yep. Run a file over every tooth a couple passes every time you use it and you will be throwing chips for life. That's all most of us who dont make a living with one will need.

Dead on about using a dull one. You can phuvk up the temper/hardness on the edge of the tooth where its probably just better to replace it.

Even a dull one can be put on backwards and it will make a good light thin metal saw. So you can keep them for that.

Jack Ryan and vmax like this.
  8. C_Hallbert

C_Hallbert Color Commentator

Nov 18, 2017
    McAlester, OK
    When I was able to use my chainsaws, I used to sharpen chain teeth with a rat tail bastard.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    All I have ever used is one of these. I don't use the saw much so it does the job.

725da8c4d0c53bfd91f17c755f0988fd.jpg

Curious if anyone has tried one of these gadgets.
    056849963c78c96b414c484a2951b9ac.jpg

10. Sublime

Sublime Active Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    Only after I have gone thru about 5 kidnap victims and then the bone starts to dull the blade.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk