Venture Surplus ad

Do you shoot with one or both eyes open?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Shooting and moving adds a lot to this IMO....peripheral is a huge advantage and one that can't be had with one eye closed. Try moving off the X to the next phase or place of cover with only your dominant eye. You'll eat shit...ask me how I know LOL

Lots of good info fellas. Much appreciated. This is a good forum with no BS. I can hang that way.

I had to switch to shooting action pistol with my non-dominant left eye, cuz the right eye is damaged. At first I had to use a crosshatch stick on occluder on my right eye, but I've gotten more used to it now. The non-dominant eye still provides SOME info to my brain for perepheral and depth percept.

I hang mine on the right.

prefere one eye and right hand.

I can switch hands on my one-eye and gain a stroke in between!!
    Texas SOT

bbslider001

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2020
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I've always shot both eyes open. I'm a complicated one, because I'm Right handed and Left eye Dominant so for Pistols I shoot Right, long guns I shoot lefty. Confused the hell out of several RSO's over the years
    Same here, except I shoot both rifle and pistol righty dominant, but still switch for dexterity.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

carlson1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    When I entered LE in the 80’s I was taught with one eye. The last year or year and half I have gone to both eyes open and I do much better.

My son is now in LE and was having a heck of a time shooting in thr Academy about 13 years ago. I tried helping, but no luck. He went to see my brother who was a Major with the Texas Game Wardens at the time and had been over forearm training at TPWD. He discovered my son was left eye dominate yet right handed. All he had my son do is twist his pistol just a tad to the left and POW he was 95% and better.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    When I entered LE in the 80’s I was taught with one eye. The last year or year and half I have gone to both eyes open and I do much better.

My son is now in LE and was having a heck of a time shooting in thr Academy about 13 years ago. I tried helping, but no luck. He went to see my brother who was a Major with the Texas Game Wardens at the time and had been over forearm training at TPWD. He discovered my son was left eye dominate yet right handed. All he had my son do is twist his pistol just a tad to the left and POW he was 95% and better.
    My daughter was in the Marines at Parris Island, had trouble qualifying. She was left eye dominant, once that was discovered she qualified.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....

The biggest advantage to the Weaver Stance is that it makes shooting cross-dominant easy for me. The shift to my dominant eye is small.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas

I target shoot with right eye only, I practice self defense with both eyes on target/front sight..sometimes I shoot left handed and left eye just because it is fun

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    What really made me learn to shoot with both eyes open was the rifle qualification in the Army. Pop up targets had to be engaged within 7 seconds and would pop up anywhere from 50 to 300 meters. Having one eye closed meant coming off the sights to aquire the next target. Both eyes open you could see the next target with your peripheral vision and stay on the sights with your dominate eye. Much easier to engage multiple or moving targets that way.

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    This has been somewhat of a debate on other social media. I thought it might be good discussion here. I started out last year on this journey using my dominant eye and had to learn to break the habit after months of doing so. It helped me tremendously. Now I shoot with both eyes open, but some have told me this is incorrect and there is no way to have solid target acquisition when doing this because of the "double sight" factor. To me, it helped me be much more consistent as well as keeping a good peripheral in combatives training.
    Both, depending on circumstances. Had glasses made, dominant eye focus on sight, other eye distance vision. Amazing to see front sight and target in focus. I'd get used to them at the range( 25 yards and closer). Then notice them when driving home. Both eyes open most of the time. Have to close the other eye when using a scope.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I've posted in this thread before but this is my more serious answer.

Both eyes closed.

Really, when I first was taught how to shoot a revolver, I could barely hit paper at 10 or 15 yards and they were big targets. An instructor (A Border Patrol Agent, with a Wyatt Earp mustache, who was on temporary assignment to the Border Patrol Academy) kept me after class one day. He told me to aim in, then without shifting my arms close my eyes and fire. I hit almost dead center. Then he had me shoot at the blank backside of the target instead of at the printed bullseye. It was amazing, at least to me, I had a decent group if not great. He said I was just trying to hard to keep the sights on the dead center of the bullseye and was also squeezing the grip too tightly which made my whole arm get fatigued and shake. I took his advice and I just got better and better after that until I reached Distinguished Expert level.

Mostly I have shot with both eyes open for pistol but now that my eyes are not as good as they once were I need to close the weak eye when shooting at more than 15 yards or so. Rifle, it depends on the sights but mostly with one eye nowadays.

Top Bottom