• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    So I got to thinking about this. Do you think people are making fake CHLs like they make fake DLs? I understand that if verified through DPS a fake may be caught or maybe used at an FFL. But I'm wondering in this day and age of identify theft, ID fraud, credit card fraud, do you think there are fake CHLs out there? Anyone heard any stories of LEOs confiscating any? There even a benefit to a fake CHL?
    Guns International

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I'm sure there are some dummies out there doing it. The thing is, a fake CHL would be discovered immediately upon presentation to an officer of the law. Then you get the unlawful carrying charge, plus the forgery charge.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I doubt it.

Why go through all the trouble when you could just by the badge.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I'm sure there are some dummies out there doing it. The thing is, a fake CHL would be discovered immediately upon presentation to an officer of the law. Then you get the unlawful carrying charge, plus the forgery charge.

IME, a quality fake ID goes completely undetected.

I have a VA/CHL, it does not even have a photo, it looks like a voter ID card. No security features at all.

tXfactor

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Spring TX

Why would one present a fake ID to an LEO?

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    Why would one present a fake ID to an LEO?
    well, way back in the day I was going to a club with this really hot girl I had just met (turns out she was 19, I was 21). Anyway, bouncer spotted her fake ID, gave it to the cop....instant buzzkill.

Back on topic:

I guess somebody could make a fake CHL to try and purchase a firearm and circumvent the background check....risky move, but not all criminals are brilliant.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I doubt it.

Why go through all the trouble when you could just by the badge.

Lol

well, way back in the day I was going to a club with this really hot girl I had just met (turns out she was 19, I was 21). Anyway, bouncer spotted her fake ID, gave it to the cop....instant buzzkill.

Back on topic:

I guess somebody could make a fake CHL to try and purchase a firearm and circumvent the background check....risky move, but not all criminals are brilliant.

Yeah thinking through this some more that seems like it might be the only way a fake CHL might be attempted to be used. Does the FFL give a quick call in to verify that the CHL is legit?

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    IME, a quality fake ID goes completely undetected.

I have a VA/CHL, it does not even have a photo, it looks like a voter ID card. No security features at all.

That's how my WA CWP was. It came in the mail on cardboard paper. I folded it and laminated it myself at home.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    When I taught in the public schools, I uncovered a scheme that made fake TDL's in the Journalism class. This was a wholesale operation that mass produced ID's using computer equipment in the class. The participants were all Football jocks, cheerleaders and other "good" kids and the teacher was married to a school board member. The teacher had a habit of leaving the class alone. But hey....they were the "good kids", right? They cranked out a lot of fake TDL's when they were supposed to be working on the yearbook.

Nothing was ever done to any of them. From my experience, I'd suggest that this stuff goes on constantly.

Flash

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Does the FFL give a quick call in to verify that the CHL is legit?

None that I've been to/worked in, most will verify with your DL to make sure the numbers match though.

I know at least one LGS takes a photocopy of your DL for their records, even for CHL carriers.

They wouldn't get any of my business.

I think some shops/chains Call it in CHL or not.

While that may be true the majority don't as it's not required as long as you have a TX CHL and are buying in TX. if you had an out of state license you can legally carry here but the NICS call is still required. None of the shops I've been in/worked at/or purchased from have called it in if you had a CHL to include Bass Pro Shop and Academy.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom