• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Anyone want to watch this and post the 411 on your take? Evidently it was shown at the capitol and it will be tied to some legislation but I am not one to sit and watch something like this but I thought some of you might want to see it.

Military Camp

MountainGirl

Never underestimate the abilities of an old woman.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Anyone want to watch this and post the 411 on your take? Evidently it was shown at the capitol and it will be tied to some legislation but I am not one to sit and watch something like this but I thought some of you might want to see it.

Seriously?

Thanks for the link, and I'll be watching it - but you'll need to get your own 411.
    Maybe someone else will do your work for ya. Or not.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I dug deep enough to find the actual "documentary ".
    And I watched all 59 minutes of it.
    My thoughts follow.

It's a propaganda piece.
    It focuses on human made events and terroristic attacks.
    Granted, the solar storm segment is out of our control.
    But so are tornadoes, hurricanes, ice storms. The "movie" started out by blaming grid operators for natural occurring events that caused widespread outages. Then it turned into a propaganda piece that says communist countries are going to shut us down by hacking or EMP bursts.
    CNN & MSNBC interviews are prevalent throughout the "production".

In a nutshell.
    I think it's funded, produced and quoted by people that never worked on a line, serviced a transformer or changed a relay setting in their whole life.

If you want a bulletproof grid, get your checkbook out. Because 100% reliability and distributed generation comes straight out of your wallet.

Solar, wind and battery backup don't belong on the grid.
    They belong on your property.
    They aren't large scale answers.

If you want cheap electricity, make sure you're on an investor owned utility.
    If you want cheap transportation, ride a bicycle.

I started out in the electric utility business in 1981, in case anyone wonders.

Cool 'Horn Luke

Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2022
    Corsicana, TX
    I dug deep enough to find the actual "documentary ".
    And I watched all 59 minutes of it.
    My thoughts follow.

It's a propaganda piece.
    It focuses on human made events and terroristic attacks.
    Granted, the solar storm segment is out of our control.
    But so are tornadoes, hurricanes, ice storms. The "movie" started out by blaming grid operators for natural occurring events that caused widespread outages. Then it turned into a propaganda piece that says communist countries are going to shut us down by hacking or EMP bursts.
    CNN & MSNBC interviews are prevalent throughout the "production".

In a nutshell.
    I think it's funded, produced and quoted by people that never worked on a line, serviced a transformer or changed a relay setting in their whole life.

If you want a bulletproof grid, get your checkbook out. Because 100% reliability and distributed generation comes straight out of your wallet.

Solar, wind and battery backup don't belong on the grid.
    They belong on your property.
    They aren't large scale answers.

If you want cheap electricity, make sure you're on an investor owned utility.
    If you want cheap transportation, ride a bicycle.

I started out in the electric utility business in 1981, in case anyone wonders.
    Where does nuclear figure into the conversation?

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Where does nuclear figure into the conversation?
    Best bet we've got.
    It's cleaner than coal and more reliable than gas.
    But a few accidents have tainted a great energy source.

How many men have died in mining accidents?

It boils down to .
    (Irony)
    We either harness the rivers, catch the wind or store the solar energy. Or we boil water to create steam to spin a turbine.

In my region, we need to boil water or the lights go out.

Cool 'Horn Luke

Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2022
    Corsicana, TX
    Best bet we've got.
    It's cleaner than coal and more reliable than gas.
    But a few accidents have tainted a great energy source.

How many men have died in mining accidents?

It boils down to .
    (Irony)
    We either harness the rivers, catch the wind or store the solar energy. Or we boil water to create steam to spin a turbine.

In my region, we need to boil water or the lights go out.
    I'm glad to here that. Yeah, I remember 3 mile island and it seemed like once or twice a year, in the '70's, there'd be some doom and gloom tv report on the storage failures of the spent fuel.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    To build them, or to keep them operating?
    Those two?

Were built at the taxpayer's expense for Duquesne Light...

There have been numerous "name changes" (when they change the name on the gate, and all the big wigs get bigger bonuses)...

In the last ten years they got 1.5 then 4.5 and are now asking for another 1.5 Billions....

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    I'm glad to here that. Yeah, I remember 3 mile island and it seemed like once or twice a year, in the '70's, there'd be some doom and gloom tv report on the storage failures of the spent fuel.
    If you desire redaction, read up on FERMI I (they made a movie....The Night We Almost Lost Detroit)

Read up on Hanford, Washington (another exercise in redaction)...

Exactly why was Vermont Yankee closed? (how many years did they lie about the tritium...? For it to travel over twenty miles, uphill, in the groundwater?)

I am a proponent of Nuclear Power...

Sadly, the Industry does not want to succeed....

There was a recent accident at Oak Ridge....Bet your sweet bippy you will never know the truth about that one....

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Those two?

Were built at the taxpayer's expense for Duquesne Light...

There have been numerous "name changes" (when they change the name on the gate, and all the big wigs get bigger bonuses)...

In the last ten years they got 1.5 then 4.5 and are now asking for another 1.5 Billions....
    Burn the gas or dig the coal then.
    But, y'all probably got enough damed up rivers to keep the lights on.
    Subsidize the lights or pay double the light bill.
    Ain't no other way unless you produce your own. I've run the math every way you can imagine.
    The grid is cheaper and more reliable every time.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Burn the gas or dig the coal then.
    But, y'all probably got enough damed up rivers to keep the lights on.
    Subsidize the lights or pay double the light bill.
    Ain't no other way unless you produce your own. I've run the math every way you can imagine.
    The grid is cheaper and more reliable every time.
    First...I think Nuclear is a good way to go (just the folk running the show are a bit less than forthright.....lie & deny?...still doing the dance in Harrisburg over TMI)

The 42yr old son works in local mine. (under the blame ground)...the cheapo coal is going for $300+/ton....The good coal (suitable for making steel) is all shipped to China at $750/ton...

The mine is all electric, for the most part. The Power Co. ... PAYS the Coal Co. to sit idle for a certain portion of each day...they are not producing enough electricity to power the mines..

Was past both local coal burners today (have spent a lot of time in both, doing outages & construction projects over the years)....only one of the combined FIVE Units was running....(two at Keystone, three at Homer City)

Here? The Power Company gets paid by the Gov't to not produce power....The stack is not "polluting"...

We have a little bit of hydro here. Much more to the East on the Susq.

Kinzu Dam

1680231080717.png

Pumps water back up into the lake, at night...

Wonder how much electricity that takes?? (of course, they are using the "free" water power to so do)...

What I think? The industry is steering the Country into a situation like yinz had in Texas a couple Winters ago...

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    One of the reasons I did not want to waste my time with the video was that I worked for a major public utility a long time ago. They had a large nuclear plant that produced almost all of the required power for the District but their stupid procurement policies had them using third world generators which kept breaking down resulting in more down time that necessary. They also fell into the trap of having a 100% retired Navy management team that did not function well and proved incapable of running an industrial facility within budget.

The District Board caved to the public outcry and decommissioned the nuclear plant in favor of all of the hydroelectric plants, solar and geothermal. None of which proved to be anywhere as cost effective as the nuke.

I also spent a number of years buying power from the Western Area Power Administration which provided electricity from Bonneville Dam and other Army Corps hydro facilities to public agencies.

All that to say that I am well aware of how political and twisted the facts are around power generation, distribution and capacity information that is released.

I took over the reins of an agency that bought into the Enron scam and thought they had done something great until it all collapsed. Before I left I had a huge gas fired turbine and steam generator system designed and under construction so they would have energy independence along with a 10 year gas contract with Sempra Energy to shield them from price fluctuations.

Power and utilities are a lot like professional wrestling....don't let the appearances fool you; it is all being orchestrated behind the scenes

Top Bottom