Does anyone backpack or hike?

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Darkpriest667, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Darkpriest667

Darkpriest667 Active Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Fort Worth
    I was going through some old stuff and saw my external frame hiking pack. It brought me back to my boyscout days when I used to hike and backpack miles into the wilderness. Thinking about it I am pretty amazed that I didn't perish. I weighed 85 pounds, had asthma, and was pretty frail, yet I managed to hike with a backpack up mountains and plateaus.

Does anyone still do this stuff? I know it's legal to carry in some parks and not in others (depends on whether it's state or federal I think but maybe you folks could enlighten me on that.) I've been putting my backpack back together and I would like to go hiking, but going alone especially after all these years is REALLY stupid. I tried searching online for groups, but it seems to be difficult to find them.

A lot of people talk about SHTF or WROL, but can any of us actually move that far on foot with supplies? I'm a smaller guy so maybe I can't but I'd like to think I could at least hike a few miles with my pack. Anybody still hike or backpack? I want to give it a shot in the spring and summer.

2. Mowingmaniac 24/7

Mowingmaniac 24/7 Well-Known

Nov 7, 2015
    Look into hiking clubs on the net in your area.

There's a lot of different ones out there all over the state.

3. Mikeinhistory

Mikeinhistory Well-Known

Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I used to hike a lot. The longest was 14 days about 30 miles a day in the Redwood forest. If I remember correctly, you can bring a firearm into national parks but they aren't supposed to be loaded.

4. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Error 404

Jan 5, 2012
    I hike with a pack everyday. At least two miles. I don't use a backpack frame because the pack doesn't weigh that much.

If you're going carry 50# plus. You have to build up to it. It's not that you can't carry the weight. It's the balance and stride you need to work on. Build up spinal muscle to stabilise your posture going over uneven terrain.

Other then that, it's no big deal.

5. AustinN4

AustinN4 TGT Addict

Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I hike a lot.

Google firearms in national parks. Now do it again for state parks for the state you are interested in.

I hike alone a lot, but not in griz country.

http://www.texashiking.com/

6. AustinN4

AustinN4 TGT Addict

Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
  7. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Error 404

Jan 5, 2012

Same here. For me it's meditation. Strap on the pack and take off. Get so far lost in thought. When I snap out of it, I covered a mile. Not remembering walking it.

8. AustinN4

AustinN4 TGT Addict

Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I do carry bear spray when I hike alone in the Chisos, Davis or Guadalupe Mountains.

9. Darkpriest667

Darkpriest667 Active Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Fort Worth
    Thanks for the link.

10. AustinN4

AustinN4 TGT Addict

Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    You are welcome. Also, you have a REI store in Fort Worth. REI stores have lots of local activities and classes. Assuming it is like mine, they will post activities somewhere in the store, usually near the front doors, or near the service (returns, etc.) counter. https://www.rei.com/stores/fort-worth.html