• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    Nobody urban hike? Abandoned rail roads and buildings. Walking alleys. Parks. Downtown.

I've camped in downtown Round Rock. Traveled an abandoned rail road track on the south of Temple. Complete with a jiggy suspension bridge over the Leon river. Camped a lot in Temple. Lots of big patches of wooded land and cedar trees. Camped in Belton, Nolanville. Both on Nolan creek.

Folks see you walking with a pack, they assume you're homeless. Unless you're asking for money, they pay you no mind.

Sounds fun. Never done but good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Sounds fun. Never done but good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've hiked the woods around here a bunch. Same Ole same ole. Urban hiking/camping is something else.

I know of a place in Killeen. Over grown field with oak trees. There's a small parking lot in it where people practice tricks on motorcycles. Slept two nights there. Sleeping bag and a book. I'd watch a couple folks wreck the $hit out their bike. Hide the pack and walk the area. Hell, visit a pawn shop and finger the guns.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I gotta describe the suspension bridge.

There was an old Rockwool plant in Belton. Located on 6th street and I35 headed out of town. Think it's call FM439.

Anyway. The plant was located next to the Leon river. The plant had a rail road track. After exploring the remains of the building. I follow the track east. For about 4-5 miles and it sucked. Rail road ties not close enough to step on. So it was flint rock, tie, tie, flint rock, tie.

Then the Leon river takes a right turn. The track go's over the river. Dilapidated POS bridge. Damn cross ties are rotten. Damn river is at least 20' below.

It's either the bridge or a deep river with near vertical banks. I took the bridge. The ties never moved. My balls did though. Straight up and inside.

This bridge was some scary stuff. With the pack I had. I wouldn't sank like a rock.

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    I live in the woods. In my house. I use the backpack to travel on my motorcycle, just take off the frame and strap it to the bike.

Most of the time in the woods I use the pack to carry some stuff I like to have like a wood saw, dekes, calls, map, a shovel, some metal detecting stuff, some times a couple classifiers or a gold pan, may be a few walmart bags to put "stuff" in, a reference book for plants, minerals or fossils if I think I'll want it, may be some lunch or thermos. I use it a lot turkey hunting. It's just easier to throw down where you are going to sit and get the dekes out to set up. Then I'll get the gun ready and lay the back pack on top of me for some extra camo or lean it against something and use it like a blind so I can move a little and block the vision of it from a certain direction. I spray the pack down with permethrin a couple times a year.

With the frame keeping it off my back it's a little cooler way to carry "stuff" in warm weather than filling up pockets of a hunting vest and if you kill something it's super nice to just slide it in a trash bag and tie shut. Then you can slide that in the treated bag to keep all the crawly things off you. Lots of times I'll take the pack off the frame and bungee a 5 gallon bucket to the frame and use it like a basket pack, especially if I figure I might be picking up something nasty. Then to, you've always got a seat by taking the bucket off, and you can use it with the classifiers that all stack inside the bucket and inside each other since they are made from buckets.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I run off on my own to hike and camp. Just started up again last year so I had to get all new gear. Right now my hikes are all day hikes so I run with a simple backpack and hydration bladder. Of course packed w specific items for safety/necessity. Puts my pack about 12lbs loaded for an ~9mi hike. That seems to be my mark for energy and my body tolerating what I'm carrying.

I've been wanting to extend hikes so I'm going to upgrade my pack. Also adjust my camping gear for backwoods camping instead of tent site setup. So that's ahead.

When I got started again I hit REI and Academy and did a ton of research online. Found youtube vids on what stuff to carry and packing lists and adjusted them. Really to know what you need and what works for you you just gotta make the wisest decision to can on gear and then jump in and see what works and what doesn't by getting out there and trying it all out. Right now I can setup for two day hikes and camp in 20min because I know what needs to be packed.

As for EDC, that goes too. It always goes. Just watch your signage in park buildings, especially federal lands. Of course do our homework on gunlaws just like when you travel state to state. Don't want to get caught on something simple cause you didn't chk before you left. You gotta look up maps and stuff anyway.

For locations I'm hitting the state and national parks that I can drive to in Texas. There's so much beauty around us that we don't even know is there. Trails, parks, rivers all pretty abundant and you can go over and over. So far in the past year I've hit GMNP twice, Enchanted Rock twice, Pedernales, Lost Maples, Canyon Lake Madrone Trail regularly, plus hitting the coast to incorporate fishing trips on sunny days off. I've got Colorado Bend state park, Garner, Guadalupe and Big Bend on deck. All depends on how I feel, how much time I have, if I want to camp, how far I want to drive, the weather, etc. I'm looking at kayaks right now since I fish alot too so I'll be incorporating that into my time out.

Just get out there and start doing stuff. You'll learn as you go.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    U
    We only have little black bears in Texas. Bear spray is very effective. If you would like to test it, I can give you a taste. Ever do the gas house in the military? Bear spray is way worse.

And it might work on a mountain lion as well, if you see it coming. Chances are slim that you would need it, but I would much rather have something a little stouter for encounters with two legged predators you would encounter.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I run off on my own to hike and camp. Just started up again last year so I had to get all new gear. Right now my hikes are all day hikes so I run with a simple backpack and hydration bladder. Of course packed w specific items for safety/necessity. Puts my pack about 12lbs loaded for an ~9mi hike. That seems to be my mark for energy and my body tolerating what I'm carrying.

I've been wanting to extend hikes so I'm going to upgrade my pack. Also adjust my camping gear for backwoods camping instead of tent site setup. So that's ahead.

When I got started again I hit REI and Academy and did a ton of research online. Found youtube vids on what stuff to carry and packing lists and adjusted them. Really to know what you need and what works for you you just gotta make the wisest decision to can on gear and then jump in and see what works and what doesn't by getting out there and trying it all out. Right now I can setup for two day hikes and camp in 20min because I know what needs to be packed.

As for EDC, that goes too. It always goes. Just watch your signage in park buildings, especially federal lands. Of course do our homework on gunlaws just like when you travel state to state. Don't want to get caught on something simple cause you didn't chk before you left. You gotta look up maps and stuff anyway.

For locations I'm hitting the state and national parks that I can drive to in Texas. There's so much beauty around us that we don't even know is there. Trails, parks, rivers all pretty abundant and you can go over and over. So far in the past year I've hit GMNP twice, Enchanted Rock twice, Pedernales, Lost Maples, Canyon Lake Madrone Trail regularly, plus hitting the coast to incorporate fishing trips on sunny days off. I've got Colorado Bend state park, Garner, Guadalupe and Big Bend on deck. All depends on how I feel, how much time I have, if I want to camp, how far I want to drive, the weather, etc. I'm looking at kayaks right now since I fish alot too so I'll be incorporating that into my time out.

Just get out there and start doing stuff. You'll learn as you go.

My wife is on her way back from a solo hiking/camping trip across the state. She started in Monahaans state park, next was Palo Duro Canyon then Caprock yesterday with Adeline state park today. She was supposed to come back tomorrow, but said too many family groups with noisy kids running around so she is now headed home.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    My wife is on her way back from a solo hiking/camping trip across the state. She started in Monahaans state park, next was Palo Duro Canyon then Caprock yesterday with Adeline state park today. She was supposed to come back tomorrow, but said too many family groups with noisy kids running around so she is now headed home.

Sounds like a great trip...sans the noisy family groups. They are what have been annoying me too on my trips back in camp when I'm trying to chill. Buuuuut, I try to not let it get to me, everyone is out trying to have fun. They are the reason I am trying to start camping backwoods though lol

I've yet to go to those three but I've chked them out online. Let us know how the hikes were though.

As for mountain lions, I watch for those things, especially if I get on the trails before dawn. I'm small enough I'm game for them. Bear spray is a good idea. A non-lethal is always a good buddy to have with the lethals.

Last edited:

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    My Boy Scouts (well 2 out of three) plus husband scoutmaster camped on Lone Star Trail this weekend.
    D48DA111-40B9-4C1C-A061-204008191080_zpsaevmmc1c.jpg

017C81B8-BDF3-45EC-8AC6-A4FEDC9015C0_zps98yafumm.jpg

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Wildcat how far off the beaten path were you folks? I used to be a boyscout and we would usually camp in assigned areas except in my later years when we would go off on our own (the wilderness survival group) and camp in the deep forests or hills.

Also what part of Texas is this in?

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I didn't go, but this is north of Houston close to New Waverly that my guys went. I don't think they were too far off the path. There were primitive camping areas with a fire ring I hear.

My youngest got a tick bite, which makes all mommas freak out a bit. But the mommas don't go along so often, that's the point haha.

I believe that my first Boy Scout go along (now I have been to lots of Cub stuff mind you) will be that I will go to summer camp this summer in Colorado.

My eldest son (not pictured) did wilderness survival last summer at camp (Oklahoma) and absolutely loved it.

Last edited:

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I didn't go, but this is north of Houston close to New Waverly that my guys went. I don't think they were too far off the path. There were primitive camping areas with a fire ring I hear.

My youngest got a tick bite, which makes all mommas freak out a bit. But the mommas don't go along so often, that's the point haha.

I believe that my first Boy Scout go along (now I have been to lots of Cub stuff mind you) will be that I will go to summer camp this summer in Colorado.

My eldest son (not pictured) did wilderness survival last summer at camp (Oklahoma) and absolutely loved it.

Interesting, not to get your maternal instincts flaring, but tick bites are nothing to sneeze at. I had a buddy get lyme disease and they didn't diagnose it correctly in Kansas and now he has some sort of chronic incurable illness because of it, so make sure to get checked.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Ugh. You are right. I need to take him to get checked. Sigh. I don't think they are even that great at finding it if it exists from what I read...

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    For years, I packed a small tent on my motorcycle and camped out in the parks and other scenic areas. I carried canned food, heated water which warmed the food in the can and ate it right out of the can. Heat the food in the unopened can, turn it over once and Ta Da.....dinner is served!

Small candles placed in a drinking cup from the trash gave a warm, cheery light. It was all minimalist, light weight camping and I loved it!

All things must end eventually and the drunken BS in the camp sites finally finished it for me. It just got too dangerous and it was long before concealed carry existed.

Flash

Last edited:
    Top Bottom