• ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Sure, but nobody thinks of a ship as intentionally sinking. Once I say subs don't have Wi-Fi, your average person should immediately be able to figure out why. If I just said some ships do, and some don't, then it would leave an open ended question. So like I said -

Ships do, subs don't.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    USS = United States Ship

You ever go onto a sub in your previous life and call it a ship? That brings forth a long and pointed ass chewing steeped in tradition. You would get the same thing but in reverse if you went onto a destroyer and called it a boat.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    You ever go onto a sub in your previous life and call it a ship? That brings forth a long and pointed ass chewing steeped in tradition. You would get the same thing but in reverse if you went onto a destroyer and called it a boat.
    I worked for the Navy, I'm sure there are many of my welds on many subs. Technically it is a ship, but what many may call it is another thing. I wasn't trying to make an issue out of it.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I toured a couple many many moons ago when I was in nuke school before we chose what platform we wanted to go on. I decided right away that sub duty wasn't for me.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I toured a couple many many moons ago when I was in nuke school before we chose what platform we wanted to go on. I decided right away that sub duty wasn't for me.
    Yep, Blue and Gold crew, 6 months on, 6 months off. Takes a different kind of person to go out for 6 months with no windows. Of course that might be better then hot racking on a fast attack.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    The Navy is taking some action:
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/2...d-duty-after-4th-major-mishap-in-pacific.html

For Army grunts (like me), the naval rank of Vice Admiral is equivalent to a Lieutenant General (3-star, O-9 pay grade). So the Navy has determined at least VADM Aucoin was asleep at the wheel.

But if it were somehow sabotage due to GPS hacking, they would still fire the Admiral. Admitting anything other than training fault would be admitting the whole fleet was vulnerable. Best to throw a few under the bus while secretly panicking and coming up with plan B.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    F350-6,
    I have no doubt what you're saying is truth (it's to be expected; especially with the military). But here's the problem I have. If it was a hack job, "they" would have had to hack not only the GPS, but surface radar, most likely sonar and 'other' detection systems we're probably not even privy to. And then again, going back as far as some of the first seafaring peoples like the Phoenicians, what the devil has happened to guys (with night vision binoculars) standing night watch?
    The guys in charge of a lot (most?) ships is typically a naval Captain (full Col; O-6 type). If I was the captain, I'd figure out SOME WAY to insure my ship was safe while I slept! I'd personally assign the night watch with instructions to wake my ass up and report directly to me if even the slightest issue arises. Supposedly the second in command or night officer of the bridge should be trustworthy enough to handle the job but it's obvious something has gone wrong. What? Seventeen dead sailors in two different collisions in as many months... just ridiculous during peace time.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The entire thing smells of arrogance, lack of seamanship, and boat handling.
    Squid ships tear assing around and playing get the hell out of MY way sounds more like it.
    In heavily congested sea lanes you stay in line and move with all the other ships. Erratic movement WILL cause problems.
    I'm not buying the GPS hack nonsense either.
    There SHOULD be human eyes watching and hands steering where the they're going and paying attention to what is around the ship.
    Highly doubtful tankers and container ships are deliberately ramming U.S.Navy warships.
    Come on, ships have lights all over them at night correct?
    In daylight they can be seen for miles.
    Navy bridge crew can't see this?
    Helmsmen have to steer where they are told so the officers are at fault.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    F350-6,
    I have no doubt what you're saying is truth (it's to be expected; especially with the military). But here's the problem I have. If it was a hack job, "they" would have had to hack not only the GPS, but surface radar, most likely sonar and 'other' detection systems we're probably not even privy to.

Or the younger generation ( the especially younger, more junior ones who get stuck with the night shift) simply rely too much on computers to make sure everything is OK. In a so called safe area, most of the automatic defensive systems will be disabled. Radar only works if someone is really paying attention, and then judging a near miss or a hit can be difficult. Sonar is mostly for underwater stuff like Subs. The emergency avoidance systems probably only sound an alarm right before the collision.

If GPS had been hacked and it shows the Navy course and the course of the tanker being on non crossing paths, most likely autopilot is just doing it's thing without any clue as to what's happening.

And before this week, I bet we had fewer "watchman" looking for trouble while we sailed than you imagine.

billyb4u64

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2017
    That problem should be solved at this time a third will be job ending for the
    Security & defence crew .

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    https://www.duffelblog.com/2017/08/navy-destroyer-collides-with-building-in-downtown-houston/

Capture.jpg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom