Guns International

Does anyone own and shoot a Taurus Tracker in .17 HMR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cporfe

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Jun 20, 2018
    Elgin
    Hi, I just bought one on an auction site. I bid really low and was the only bidder. That should portend something, but since I'm not going to hunt with it, why worry?

That said, I'm looking for decent ammo for punching papers with reduced fireballs. I know the round is made for rifles and no one appears to make rounds for shorter barrels, like some do for .22 Mag. BTW I run the Gold Dot short barrel ammo in my S&W 351 and it's accurate and hardly any flash.

Your honest recommendations would be appreciated. Keep the comedy act to yourself though because I'm really looking for solid answers.

Thanks
    Hurley's Gold

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Only have experience with rifles, but from what I’ve seen:

The 20gr never does as well when it comes to accuracy. Best to stick with 17gr.

Pretty much all the 17gr bullets are the same Vmax bullet. Some have different color tips, but same bullet none the less.

CCI seems to be most reliable. Don’t think I’ve ever had a misfire.

I doubt you’ll notice any difference in flash from one to another. They are just rimfire rounds and I don’t think manufacturers put any effort in to low flash powders, especially when it’s almost always shot from a rifle. I also doubt it will be an issue for you.

Grab a box of CCI 17gr and maybe a box of 20gr just to check it out. See how they shoot and go with what the gun likes.

For my rifle I prefer the CCI A17 just because it comes in a box of 250 and shoots as well as any other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I had one. Sold it almost immediately.

The .17 fouls the action so much that after just a couple of cylinders it would be hard to open, rotate and getting the casings out was like pulling wisdom teeth.

Take a can of RemOil, CLP, etc to spray out when you go to the range.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    homie-the-clown.gif
    And just FYI, when you make a demand to keep the comedy act out of something.......

Attachments

• homie-the-clown.gif
      homie-the-clown.gif
      896.2 KB · Views: 491

cporfe

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Jun 20, 2018
    Elgin
    Thanks for all the input. I always carry lubrication in my range bag. AR15 "where designed to shoot wet" sayeth the person who never fired one in combat down range in the sand.

cporfe

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Jun 20, 2018
    Elgin
    Well, I bought the Taurus 17 Tracker 6 inch blued used and finally went to the range today. I bought a box of 50 rounds of Hornady 17 grain flex tip at Blackjack Guns when AJ did the transfer for me.

I had zero problems, the ammo was less dirty than any of the several .22lr ammo brands I shot with my new-to-me used Ruger Mark II. I will say the ejection required a slap vice a thumb push like my Model 10s but it wasn't bad at all. Although I forgot my prescription shooting glasses, I think I did okay accuracy wise considering I could barely make out the front sight. Note to me, get another pair of prescription glasses that focus on the front site distance to keep in the range bag.

This thing is front heavy as you'd imagine but it was fun to shoot. I suppose if I used it for varmint hunting, I'd stick to single action, but I spent most of the ammo shooting double action like a DA revolver should be shot.

My take on it is with the Hornady ammo it's fun!

cporfe

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Jun 20, 2018
    Elgin
    I was thinking more along the lines of prairie dogs or ground squirrels whichever they're called here. I did use a .357 mag on prairie dogs in Montana many years ago but it was loud and expensive. Besides, I can't see using my Marlin 1894 .44 mag on a squirrel. Too little gun. :-)

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    A surprising good critter popper round and cheap one is 5.45x39 ak74 is a decent critter gutter.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I plan on testing “overkill theory” late next month. I’ll let ya know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom