• ...and so much more!
  • Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I was wondering if anyone tried to save money by cutting down on AC/Heat usage, for the house. How much do you actually save? What are your gas/electric bills like? .....

I'm just trying to plan out some future housing expenses for when I get my own place.
    TL;DR do you cut AC/Heat usage to save money? How much do you save? What are your bills like?
    During my military service I had no control over the temperature settings and adjusted to the conditions where I served.
    Now that I have a choice in size of home and temperature settings, it isn't difficult to decide what size home, temperature level and size utility bill I am comfortable with. I have more concern about the utility supplier being able to reliably supply the service than the price of the bills.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I'm a penny pincher of other electrical usage other than the thermostat. We keep the thermostat in the summer at 73 and the winter at 68.
    For my penny pinching of other things, we schedule things like laundry, dishwasher, etc, in the middle of the day since we have a solar system and we buy power from the grid at 14.3 cents per kwh and sell excess at 10.2 cents per kwh. On some really hot days lately, we've had a net import from the grid, but not a lot. Yesterday was the worst where we imported 13.5 kwh. Most days we are at net export.

Last edited:

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I have an older (1984) all electric home, single story 2000 sq ft. Fans in every room. Summer a/c is set at 83, then 85 when we go to bed. Winter is usually 67. Even with this, average elec bill is $130 for the low 3-4 months, $400 for. the high 3-4 months and $160-$175 for the rest. Oncor delivery charges have almost doubled in our area and the days of the good rates are gone

Top Bottom