• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I would not call it penny-pinching, in the Summer when it gets hot and humid, even sometimes this happens in the Winter months, the AC is kept at 76, with ceiling fans running keeping the air moving. In the cooler times, 50 or less, the heat is set at 72, if I get cold, I grab a light jacket.
    Hurley's Gold

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    This is curious to me.
    It sounds like your gas usage goes up in the summer, I would expect it to be the opposite.

My current last month gas bill is $48.
    Gas heat, stove, water heater, and dryer.

Sorry, I was not clear. My electric jumps in the summer. My gas bill drops under about $50-60.

Sent from Mordor using an iPhone.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    As my parents grew older, we sweated our balls off when we visited them in the cooler months.

My grandmother was like that when we would visit.

I think old people's blood gets thin or something.

I can usually regulate my body temperature alright, but over the last couple of years, my hands and feet seem to be cold all the time now. Even in the summer.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    My grandmother was like that when we would visit.

I think old people's blood gets thin or something.

I can usually regulate my body temperature alright, but over the last couple of years, my hands and feet seem to be cold all the time now. Even in the summer.

My 87 and 85 Dad and Moms house is a sweat box usually. Although I will say they do not crank the heater they wear sweaters etc in colder weather.

However summer they will have the place 78-80 degs usually.

Their home I just deal with it when there.

Axxe
    Cold fingers and toes is a sign of poor circulation. Just sayin

Im 60(this March)and in cold weather if my toes/fingers get cold that usually outs an end to my outside for a bit. Once that happens the rest of me follows suite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    My 87 and 85 Dad and Moms house is a sweat box usually. Although I will say they do not crank the heater they wear sweaters etc in colder weather.

However summer they will have the place 78-80 degs usually.

Their home I just deal with it when there.

Axxe
    Cold fingers and toes is a sign of poor circulation. Just sayin

Im 60(this March)and in cold weather if my toes/fingers get cold that usually outs an end to my outside for a bit. Once that happens the rest of me follows suite.

Very possible. It appears doing some reading up on my high blood pressure medications, cold hands and fee are can be a side effect.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    I was wondering if anyone tried to save money by cutting down on AC/Heat usage, for the house. How much do you actually save? What are your gas/electric bills like? I payed a electric bill for a little while and it was anywhere from about $200 spring/fall to $300 in the winter. Where I'm living now, they say the electric can be in the $400's in the summer. In both houses people where there 24/7 so the AC/Heat was always set at the same temperature. Where I'm living now is also a 3500SQF house if I remember right and the AC is kept at 68F which has it constantly on. I'm wondering what it could look like, for a single person with animals, with less lights, and setting the AC/Heat differently when not home. At work, it usually hits 80F+ in the summer and that's with AC on. Just give me a fan and I'm fine. I know how to layer up for the winter, but I hate it when I take a shower and the air is so cold, so I would turn it up before/during a shower...

I'm just trying to plan out some future housing expenses for when I get my own place.
    TL;DR do you cut AC/Heat usage to save money? How much do you save? What are your bills like?

Thanks,
    Higgins909
    WE don't, but thanks for the old expression. I seldom hear them anymore.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    BTW my gas is included on my elec.CPS runs both.
    So my mo. 161 is both elec n gas.
    I think the programable stat accounts for most as I rarely have to mess with it.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I set heat at 65 and wear a vest,a/c78 when gone and 75 when home...last month I had covid and set 68 heat bill is $80 up from usual $65.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I have not been able to find a decent electrical rate since I moved to Smith County. I used a broker for a couple of years and then a couple of power comparison sites to select my plans. I have a 2000 sq ft single story home that’s all electric. Summer thermostat is set at 77, winter at 67. I usually have 4 months at about $100, 4 months at $150, 3 months at about $200 and, if we have a super cold winter month I will break into the higher rates and hit $400.

I have been using a 1000kWh - 2000 kWh bracket plan for the past two years and I stay inside that 11 months out of the year. I know the rates are driven by region as well as the distribution company; we have Oncor which is major el sucko in that their distribution fees are high and their infrastructure management poor. We suffer excess outages while paying fees that offset any good rates from the provider

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Ran the pool heater for a few hours today and got the spa up to temp so the kids and I could hang out and play in the water for a couple hours. Probably gonna add 20 bucks to the gas bill, but it’s well worth it.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    3500+ sq ft two-story house with two a/c units. I won't scare y'all with our electric bills but my biggest issue was the upstairs unit running when no one was there (i.e. the boys were at school or work). We have a downstairs master so by mid-morning everyone in the house is mainly on the ground floor. I fixed that with programmable thermostats! Now the heat goes up just before the boys get up, and off once the upstairs is vacated. Problem solved!

The wife has free reign on the downstairs thermostat. It's programed as well but if she feels hot or cold, she can adjust it as she feels fit. I learned a long time ago that is not a "discussion" I want to get into again. Pick your battles, gentlemen!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Get some means of backup heat, like a propane heater or a Benjamin stove.
    Get a generator too.
    Rural outages can be widespread and long lasting.
    We will have a fireplace in the new place. Funny I didn't notice any propane tank in the neighborhood, but then again I was not looking. A generator is on the long list. I can see the power plant in Jewett, Texas off in the distance.

Top Bottom