• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    We used Griddy for a couple of years, now that we moved we have a co-op. Their prices are higher than Griddy.

In our 2000sqft house with gas & electric our normal bill was $100.... summer closer to $200. In the tin can we're in now its still $100ish a month. I cant wait to see what it is once the new place os here next month. We'll be all electric with the new place. Im sure $200 will be the new average.
    Target Sports

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    We will have a fireplace in the new place. Funny I didn't notice any propane tank in the neighborhood, but then again I was not looking. A generator is on the long list. I can see the power plant in Jewett, Texas off in the distance.
    My brother’s house is all electric, Baboon. They plumbed propane to their fireplace (just in case).

We keep it in the mid 60s for cold months & 74 in the hot ones. 1660 sqft house built in 03. Monthly power bills are between $65 and $150.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    Get some means of backup heat, like a propane heater or a Benjamin stove.
    Get a generator too.
    Rural outages can be widespread and long lasting.
    We will have a fireplace in the new place. Funny I didn't notice any propane tank in the neighborhood, but then again I was not looking. A generator is on the long list. I can see the power plant in Jewett, Texas off in the distance.

Just remember, in the event of a widespread outage, gas station pumps do not work!

Either develop a way to store and turn over gasoline, or look to a generator using propane.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I run what I need to stay comfortable. A lot depends on what I'm doing as well. Laying in bed, watching TV or reading a book, I'd rather have more covers on me. Moving around the house ding things, I use a combination of heating and cooling and clothing to be comfortable.

I'm not a penny pincher by any means, but If I can do something to that saves money and is more efficient, than I'm willing to give it a try.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My brother’s house is all electric, Baboon. They plumbed propane to their fireplace (just in case).

We keep it in the mid 60s for cold months & 74 in the hot ones. 1660 sqft house built in 03. Monthly power bills are between $65 and $150.
    Brick & Hardie board house with Aluminum roof 2,361 Bldg Sqft. built in 85. Hell I think I can handle this temp & that money.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Didn't read the whole thread, so if this post is being silly, just ignore me.

Single person in a 3500sq' home.... :frog:

The wifey and I are retired people living in the PNW. We have a programmable thermostat and an all-electric home. When we were working, we utilized all 4 program setbacks, now it's pretty much just the two for day/night. We never used to use AC, but now that we are older have less heat tolerance.

78 = daytime/AC
    65 = nighttime/heating

$100/mo in the summer (hydropower elec utility)
    $200/mo in the winter

My daughter lives in Ark with hubby and three kiddos. Due to the summer humidity, they leave the AC on 65F (brrr) 24/7. Yikes!!

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Generac (at least commercial models, including the smaller ones) can be bought in a diesel configuration as well.

Very true. Years ago, I was a certified Generac technician and worked a few over the years. Mostly, it was minor issues that needed attention. IMO, Generac makes a really good generator. If I had to make a living off repairing Generac made equipment, I'd starve to death!

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    68 thats hilarious. I never set my thermostat below 74. No wonder your bill is in the 400s. lose some weight, gain some heat tolerance, and turn the thermostat up 6 degrees. Jeez.. 68..

oh my electric bill last month was the highest it's been in 4 years and it was 166 dollars. 3/2 with a double garage. The electric at my hous ein fort worth before I put solar panels in was NEVER above 300 and it was 3000 SF

We go down at 67 for the master suite at night to sleep. During the day I’m good at 73 though. We also have while house dehumidification and keep humidity at 45 which makes things seem more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ETH77

ZAP Rules
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2008
    Houston
    We go down at 67 for the master suite at night to sleep. During the day I’m good at 73 though. We also have while house dehumidification and keep humidity at 45 which makes things seem more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tip for those interested in optimizing power usage and can modify the air returns in the house.
    Rig it so that in the summer the air return pulls off of the ceiling (most of them do that all the time) and in the winter the air return pulls off the floor. Make both returns the same size and cut a piece of plywood the size of the filter you can switch between the two returns.
    As was previously stated reverse the ceiling fans as well if you wish.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    When I had AC/Heat installed a few years back, I purchased a "hybrid" unit, the AC is electric, but the heat is generated by propane. Cook stove is propane also, use maybe 200 gallons a year, unless it gets really cold. Time to refill the tank, it has been nearly a year since the last fill up. I also had the old ceiling bat insulation removed and 24 inches blown in. Makes a huge difference.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I live in a muggy warm corrosive place. I made my walls of my house very thick and it’s sprayed with 8-10” of foam. I’m still cheap enough to keep the thermostat at 80 from 8-5:30, then 78 from 5:30-9 then it goes to 76 until 8am.

our water bill is higher than the electrical thanks to Corpus Christi

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    I can only dream about those electric Bill's! In winter ours usually runs between $175-$200 and in summer, I've seen it get up to $325-350. $100 of the summer bill is pool pump though. Winter thermostat setting is 62 with the occasional fire in the fireplace. Summer temp is 75 when we arent home, 69 when we are and 67 at night. I dont see how yall can be comfortable at 74, much less 78! My wife and I would be miserable and the house would feel like a sauna with all the humidity!

Edit to add: 2200 sq ft built in 2003, all electric, 4 year old AC, well insulated.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I can only dream about those electric Bill's! In winter ours usually runs between $175-$200 and in summer, I've seen it get up to $325-350. $100 of the summer bill is pool pump though. Winter thermostat setting is 62 with the occasional fire in the fireplace. Summer temp is 75 when we arent home, 69 when we are and 67 at night. I dont see how yall can be comfortable at 74, much less 78! My wife and I would be miserable and the house would feel like a sauna with all the humidity!

Edit to add: 2200 sq ft built in 2003, all electric, 4 year old AC, well insulated.

Ceiling fans.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Ceiling fans.
    Got'em and they run on high 24/7. Our bedroom is the hottest room in the house at about 2-3 degrees hotter than the rest of the house in the summer. Temp in the house gets to 72 and it starts to feel hot/humid in the summer! I absolutely hate winter/cold weather, but it sure is nice to feel cool and dry without spending money on AC!

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring

You still running a single speed pool pump?

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    68 is a heater setting.
    75 is a cooling setting.

Pretty much the same for me, but AC is on 74.

I rarely have a bill over $200 for a 2500sf home. Usually one in the winter and one in the summer.

Top Bottom