• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    You might not be able to. Maybe search YouTube for ways to 'disconnect' etc...?

Whenever I disable a 'self-installed App' on my phone (because the updates let them in the door) I always get the warning message "If you disable then other functions will stop working! Danger Will Robinson!" or some horsesht like that. I'm like - good. Shut them all down, lol.

But that's just a phone. I'm sure your truck is a bit more intertwined, by design.
    I get the same warning message often. I just laugh out loud hoping that the smart stupid phone hears me and reports back to its digital god.
    Gun Zone Deals

John Sam Rayburn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2023
    Lufkin, Texas
    Bought the truck used. Never signed FCA paperwork. No opt in when I started the truck.

My guess is that the 1st owner clicked ok. Legally that’s a gray area for subsequent owners.

I didn't think of that. That's an interesting point.

More and more people are getting hurt by these automated car functions.

If you didn't consent to it, the manufacturers' legal liability for hurting you might change in curious ways.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Nightmare, I guess. And most people just back up to the lens and pull their ass cheeks apart.

I’m so tired of this crap.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    If you don't own or carry a so-called 'smart phone' are you less a candidate for being spied on while inside/driving your vehicle?

Or, are they still harvesting your personal information, but they aren't able to advertise to you or ...?

Anyone know?

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    If you need to be net silent, then do that. Most of the time the best thing anyone can do is be boring enough to ignored as uninteresting background noise.
    Actually, the point is that my vehicle is doing feature changes without notice or consent. Changes in how the vehicle operates can be and have been dangerous.

I want it to stop. Now.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    If you don't own or carry a so-called 'smart phone' are you less a candidate for being spied on while inside/driving your vehicle?

Or, are they still harvesting your personal information, but they aren't able to advertise to you or ...?

Anyone know?
    New cars have interior cameras, microphones, and sophisticated telemetry. An amazing amount of information can be amassed without your smartphone being Hoovered.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale

Anyone know?
    Even with a basic phone every cell tower that your phone hits is logged so your movements can be tracked. All calls, text, and other data can be intercepted, too. I heard an NSA recruiter in the late 90s bragging about how he can turn the mic on in any cell phone he wanted to and listen without the person ever knowing. Doubt that capability has gone away over the years.

So no, not having a smart phone doesn't really protect you from anything other than google and facebook ads. There are ways to turn that crap off on smart phones, too.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    … turn the mic on in any cell phone...
    Not just cell phones. If it has a microphone and is connected to the internet, most advanced governments around the world can remotely urn it on and start recording. Without tripping any ‘mic in use’ indicators.

Tech companies are more abusive with that capability though.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    The Dan,

Thanks!

If ones vehicle is old enough, that is, sans hi-tech bs, and you yank the battery out of your phone, perhaps, maybe you can't be tracked...at least as easily?

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The Dan,

Thanks!

If ones vehicle is old enough, that is, sans hi-tech bs, and you yank the battery out of your phone, perhaps, maybe you can't be tracked...at least as easily?
    Kinda depends on how hard someone is looking for you. There's cameras on nearly every stoplight. Driving an older vehicle might make you stand out and be more easily tracked. Driving a very popular 5-6yo vehicle in a common color with the snitches ripped out of it would make it easier to blend in.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX

Anyone know?
    Maybe an answer will come from those performing the monitoring!

Top Bottom