• ...and so much more!
  • Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    We pay extra for the features that spy on us. They want driver-facing cameras to "make sure you are awake". uh-huh.

What if your kid is borrowing your car, or your neighbor wanted to get few loads of much in your truck?

The future is a huge disappointment.

comsec

Quantum Electrodynamic Cowboy
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2021
    DFW
    Tire pressure sensors chat over RF to the MCU in newer vehicles. Roll through an antenna "hoovering up" TPS signalling, and a picture of your plate creates a GUID (global universal ID) for your vehicle. Even my Kawasaki C14 has TPSs on it (which has saved my butt!).

TPS addressing is unique to each vehicle. If new ones are installed they require configuration to the vehicle MCU to work.

These devices transmit by FCC Part 15 in the US so their power is very low but still receivable.

Some newer vehicles also transmit radar data (alert to vehicles passing or in blind spot). These also can ultimately be "hoovered up" by actors who want your data.

Keyless entry/start FOBS transmit data under Part 15 rules.

You are literally giving away gobs of data if you drive a newer vehicle with these enhancements.

I am imaging all these data barons sitting in their collared jacket, gently stroking their white Persian cat.

zuck.jpeg

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    TPS are unique per sensor. I can read the values of cars driving past my house with my HackRF One.

In reality there's a ton of data being advertised by vehicles, their occupants, etc. If someone were so inclined it would be trivial to capture and correlate such data to build a highly accurate map of who travels where and when. Cameras with facial recognition, license plate readers, various data capture (TPS, in-vehicle WiFi, keyfobs, bluetooth, cell phone radios+wifi+BT, in-vehicle cellular, etc.), and anything else that doesn't come to mind.

What worse is our governments have been doing this for many years. What are they doing with the data? Nothing but wasting our money.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Tire pressure sensors chat over RF to the MCU in newer vehicles. Roll through an antenna "hoovering up" TPS signalling, and a picture of your plate creates a GUID (global universal ID) for your vehicle. Even my Kawasaki C14 has TPSs on it (which has saved my butt!).

TPS addressing is unique to each vehicle. If new ones are installed they require configuration to the vehicle MCU to work.

These devices transmit by FCC Part 15 in the US so their power is very low but still receivable.

Some newer vehicles also transmit radar data (alert to vehicles passing or in blind spot). These also can ultimately be "hoovered up" by actors who want your data.

Keyless entry/start FOBS transmit data under Part 15 rules.

You are literally giving away gobs of data if you drive a newer vehicle with these enhancements.

I am imaging all these data barons sitting in their collared jacket, gently stroking their white Persian cat.

View attachment 440033
    How did it save your butt? Just curious.

comsec

Quantum Electrodynamic Cowboy
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2021
    DFW
    On the way to Big Bend out of DFW I must have hit a piece of metal with my rear tire. Going down I35E at 65 mph the tire pressure sensor alerted. I immediately got to gas station and added some air but it went off again in a mile. I was two up and had the panniers and top box loaded so if I had not seen the alarm I could have a flat on the rear in heavy traffic and not been able to safely get off the roadway to a place where I could evaluate the tire problem. TPS on bikes is a real plus for safety.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Just heard a thing on the radio about this. They said you have to "opt out" in order for them to NOT sell your data to insurance companies. The new computers track your speed, how many times you go over 80, top speeds reached, and other stuff. And the car makers are selling this data to insurance companies.

You have do opt out some how, and I don't know how you do that. I have a relic that doesn't have any of that stuff.

Ninja'd by TheDan above. Was listening about this today on the radio.

Last edited:

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    On the way to Big Bend out of DFW I must have hit a piece of metal with my rear tire. Going down I35E at 65 mph the tire pressure sensor alerted. I immediately got to gas station and added some air but it went off again in a mile. I was two up and had the panniers and top box loaded so if I had not seen the alarm I could have a flat on the rear in heavy traffic and not been able to safely get off the roadway to a place where I could evaluate the tire problem. TPS on bikes is a real plus for safety.
    I had an older Miata without TPMS and was driving highway speed during the night. I could feel a slight pull when accelerating uphill then suddenly the tire blew and went flying off to my left. I'd been running on a flat for awhile and didn't realize since they were speed rated tires and ran with less than 30psi due to the vehicle had a decent weight distribution.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    This is the world we live in. Choice is an illusion.

Wrap boxes, pull fuses, unhook antennas, it doesn't matter.

If you actually find the correct way to really disable the communication systems it probably won't run.

My phone pulls up ads for stuff I have thought about shopping for but have never actually said a word about. Seriously.

It's scary to think about how bad it would be if our government wasn't so inefficient and inept.

True story.

My wife and I were traveling on I-45 and she kept dozing off. She said, "man, I need some coffee."

Her phone spoke up and said, "there is a Starbucks 2.1 miles down the road. Would you like directions."

We looked at each other and turned our phones off.

A little different from the vehicle tracking your driving habits and selling them to insurance companies. But both are a huge betrayal and invasion of privacy.

Last edited:

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    How did it save your butt? Just curious.
    I don't know about him, but TPMS saved my ass on my Goldwing. I had an aftermarket unit that monitored both pressure and temperature using the OEM sensors.
    I had it set to display temperature, and just set a trigger for a warning if pressure dropped. I also had an alarm set for high temp.

I was heading to the east coast and saw my rear tire tempreture climbing and shortly after that the high temp warning lit up. if I had kept going, the tire would have failed.
    I switched the display to pressure was a bit high due to the tempreture, but nothing alarming.

Pulled off the next exit and let it cool down. The hot summer roads and heavy load (pulling a trailer) were the culprit.
    Adjusting the load and slowing down took care of it, but I was well on the way to a catastophic failer if I had not had TPMS

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I don't know about him, but TPMS saved my ass on my Goldwing. I had an aftermarket unit that monitored both pressure and temperature using the OEM sensors.
    I had it set to display temperature, and just set a trigger for a warning if pressure dropped. I also had an alarm set for high temp.

I was heading to the east coast and saw my rear tire tempreture climbing and shortly after that the high temp warning lit up. if I had kept going, the tire would have failed.
    I switched the display to pressure was a bit high due to the tempreture, but nothing alarming.

Pulled off the next exit and let it cool down. The hot summer roads and heavy load (pulling a trailer) were the culprit.
    Adjusting the load and slowing down took care of it, but I was well on the way to a catastophic failer if I had not had TPMS
    Agree re your & @comsec experiences; having lost a rear tire myself.

I thought he meant the info being relayed to others is what saved him... and that maybe there was an upside to it.

007FJ

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2024
    Angleton
    Similar for me except the local dealer called me right after the due oil change came on. I asked him where the back ordered for over a year back up camera was and not only no but H no on letting you guys change the oil. 2019 F-250 6.7. Dude asked me about scheduling it so casually like it was a given that I’d let those hacks touch my truck for regular stuff.

They did a recall a year ago and it quit doing regens. Jack wagon told me to drive it like I stole it because my low miles were the reason.

Researched it because I KNEW that wasn’t it. Bought an adapter and ForScan and found that they had not checked “allow auto regen“ or something like that on the reflash.

I fixed that issue and enabled a DPF Filter gauge and a regen inhibit function so if it’s at 90% or greater you can prevent a regen from starting about the time you pull into the neighborhood. Chicken S dealership and Ford could just activate that stuff as a matter of course. It comes activated on the F-450s and up.

Anyway yes indeed the 2019 and ups do that as I surely never activated or agreed to the monitoring of anything. My 2015 didn’t do that to my knowledge but maybe I never had proof.

Of course the ultimate sadness/pathetic as mentioned is the level of spying by our phones.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Take off the GPS and 5g antenna.
    That may work, but it is entirely possible that these systems work independently of your in dash GPS and cell service.

Here is a small self contained tracking unit that has its on internal GPS and cell circuits. It is a little larger than a 9volt batter and no external antenna needed.

If someone wants to track you, it is easy and you won't even know they are doing it.

Attachments

• IMG_2963.jpg
      IMG_2963.jpg
      210.3 KB · Views: 7
    Top Bottom