• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I just finished running a SxS test of a batch of ammo. It was fired through a bolt action 20" as well as an 18" SS gas gun. The bolt rifle by Howa has a heavy blued barrel. The gas gun is a diamond back AR10. After looking over Chrono data I was surprised by some results.

In spite of the extra 2 inches and no dissapation of gases behind the bullet, the Howa ran only 18-28 fps faster. I was expecting at least 40 but closer to 50 fps more. I know there are a ton of factors to consider but I've found a similar relationship between my white oak AR15 upper and a 20" blued counterpart.

Do stainless steel barrels run a bit fast by nature ? Or is it just an odd coincidence?
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Barrel's will usually shoot at different speeds. There are too many variables in play, but the type of steel really doesn't matter.
    The way the barrel is rifled, style of rifling, number of grooves. Whether or not the barrel's have been lapped. Even different types of coatings / treatments will have differences in the velocities you will get between barrels.

Barrel velocity differences are no different than the velocity differences you will have shooting the same weight of bullet in different styles and coatings.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Admittedly I know a lot of things come into play. In this case, I always thought the 308 hits its peak at 21.5" with most powders. When I did a similar test with a Remington 700 at 24" it did indeed gain over 100 fps with the extra 4 inches over the Howa. I thought for sure the gas system would also effect velocity but it didn't seem to matter.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I
    Barrel's will usually shoot at different speeds. There are too many variables in play, but the type of steel really doesn't matter.
    The way the barrel is rifled, style of rifling, number of grooves. Whether or not the barrel's have been lapped. Even different types of coatings / treatments will have differences in the velocities you will get between barrels.

Barrel velocity differences are no different than the velocity differences you will have shooting the same weight of bullet in different styles and coatings.
    I've got ax18.5 in bbl on it now question for you is sir in order to get me to 1k should I put a 24 in on it

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I love it here
    Yes. A 24” 7mm REM MAG barrel. ;)
    The info is just amazing
    images.jpeg-2.jpg

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Accuracy isn't partial to any particular steel,. A barrel can be made of either a 4140-type chrome-moly or 416-type stainless and be equally accurate and develop similar velocities. The chrome - moly is less expensive and a little easier to machine; the latter will have longer accuracy life and is more corrosion resistant. Chrome - moly is harder than stainless, and in theory will allow higher velocites but who can really tell with the vagarities of extreme spread of velocity and all the other factors whcih go into internal ballistics.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom