Texas SOT

Does that James Yeager guy irritate you too?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    he is definitely over the top in most of the videos I've seen (haven't seen many). Those are the newer videos though. Some of his older videos, he isn't so in your face, and just tries to give info and his opinion on things without the whole "I'm right, and if u don't agree with me you will die" feel to it

Last edited:

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    I enjoy watching some of his videos, and find some of them helpful.He is straight to the point and nornally no nonsense.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Whatever that guy has done in the past from asinine comments about kicking peoples asses at the NRA show to his not understanding how to drive a car in combat and getting his buddies killed has been done ad nauseam on here. The search engine is your friend.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It has been my experience that, anytime someone is surrounded in significant controversy in this industry, it is usually not without reason. In most if not all of those cases, they're probably people you want to avoid.

Plenty of good quality, legit, vetted, and respected people in this industry. Anyone with some skill and a bit of common sense can teach a person how to "run" a handgun, or heck even a carbine, in a fairly competent manner. They don't necessarily have to have been a former "cool guy" with hundreds of CQB room entries to their name either. It's not rocket science, especially when we're talking closer ranges and basic stuff. Nothing special there, at least not these days with the sheer variety of schools and instructors out there and the degree that training quality has progressed in the past decade alone. The point I'm getting at is, I would be more concerned with spending those hard earned dollars on someone that's reputable, that's vetted, and who is generally of good quality character.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I can learn from anyone. I can learn more from some than others.

Yeager makes some good points but his ridiculous ego and attitude get in the way of most of them. Unlike on these gun forums, controversy is productive on YT in terms of views and ad dollars.

Ive watched the firefight in Iraq multiple times. Its really gut wrenching. Some use it as attack on him. I wasnt there. I dont know all of what happened. What i can say is HE shouldnt have been there. If a person survives something like that, especially something where they should have done things better and some people might be alive today...if you make it out of that, most people who are well adjusted and introspective would be humbled and not arrogant in the rest of their life.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    He's a shit head. But the way the ambush happened and the amount of fire coming in I doubt he could have done shit besides run in the ditch. I've never been in combat but the amount of fire coming his way was pretty overwhelming. I think they knew the direction it was coming from but not exactly. But what do I know. I've never been in that type of situation.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Isn't he the guy that puts a camera man next to the targets when he has large classes of multi-experience shooters on the line? That alone, makes me lose respect. It's called a tripod, jackass. Invest in one. I honestly am surprised he can convince anyone to take that position.

Then, yea-he seems to have a shitty attitude as well.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I can learn from anyone. I can learn more from some than others.

Yeager makes some good points but his ridiculous ego and attitude get in the way of most of them. Unlike on these gun forums, controversy is productive on YT in terms of views and ad dollars.

Ive watched the firefight in Iraq multiple times. Its really gut wrenching. Some use it as attack on him. I wasnt there. I dont know all of what happened. What i can say is HE shouldnt have been there. If a person survives something like that, especially something where they should have done things better and some people might be alive today...if you make it out of that, most people who are well adjusted and introspective would be humbled and not arrogant in the rest of their life.

Well put. I watched the entire ~45min footage of the event in question that he is often discussed for. It kind of made me change my opinions a bit, and I definitely recommend others watch the whole thing in it's entirety. Honestly, after seeing the entire thing start to finish, I really can't fault the guy. Were there some mistakes made, according to the known facts? Yeah, probably. Avoidable? Who Knows. Not for someone like myself to try and analyze or deconstruct. But looking at that situation as a whole, I really can't fault the guy. I sure as hell have never survived a surprise barrage of PKM fire or that sort of hostile environment. Certainly some valuable lessons a person that has survived it could potentially bring to the table from those sorts of experiences, mistakes made, unavoidable events, what was learned, etc.

All that being said, personally I feel a person's character can be judged not necessarily by the mistakes they make, but rather the actions they take based on those mistakes. Did they pick up, learn from their mistakes, and push for better the next time? Ultimately, I just could not recommend someone that puts AI's with cameras downrange in beginner's pistol classes, or someone that engages in some of the other questionable antics he is known for. Those things alone should really make a person question the logic behind those choices, and speak volumes about the person making those decisions. I have no doubt he can probably teach a person to shoot a gun in a sufficiently competent/semi-competent manner, but that IMO doesn't outweigh the other potential liability/safety issues.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I first learned of him when I watched a youtube channel cover him. The people interviewing him were total sycophants.

That automatically makes me nervous. All my life, the executives that did the most damage were the ones who had the largest, most fawning entourages.

He's in a business where technical knowledge and good sense go a long way. Yet, his success seems based on a deliberately cultivated cult of personality.

That's as much as I need to know to make a decision to avoid him, his teachings, and his publicity machine.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    photo.jpg

Top Bottom